PDA

View Full Version : Replacing Clutch...have questions

syco3d
05-10-2003, 08:28 PM
I'm planning on replacing my clutch on monday ...somthing I've never even thought of attempting. Basically my bank tells me that I can't afford to hire it done so that leaves me with no other option, but I'm confident that I can handle the job.

First question... Where can I find some good install tutorials on putting in a clutch? I've already seen the one @ 240sx.org and am planning on keeping it handy, but it can be helpful to have more then one. Different people explain things differantly etc... Basically I want to be as well informed as possible b4 I tackle this.

Second question...What size sockets/wrenchs will I need? I have sockets up to size 15mm, but I'm guessing by the pics that I'll need at least a 17. If any1 knows the sizes I'd like to know that way I can have the nessisary sockets/wrenches BEFORE my car is in the air. I really don't want to have to make runs in the middle of the operation.

If any of you guys can answer one or both I'd be grateful.

andrave
05-10-2003, 08:56 PM
I would advise that you get your hands on a full set of sockets and tools before you attempt it. some of those bolts on the bell housing, the ones on top... they are hard enough to get at with the right tools.
dont stress too much though, if you have an fsm or a chiltons, you can do it yourself in a weekend. I changed mine almost entirely myself in a garage in two days, I need someone else's help putting the tranny back in though cause I didn't have a seperate tranny jack. looking back, if I did it again I would at least get a tranny cradle, if not borrow a tranny jack. especially if I was gonna do it myself.
the hardest part for me was getting the tranny off the splines, I had to use a huge *** breaker bar, working a little bit at a time. getting it back on was also hard, I ended up threading some longer bolts into the bell housing and using those to pull the tranny back onto the engine then putting the rest of the bolts in, before taking the longer ones back out and putting the right ones in.

also make sure you have enough gear oil to fill the tranny back up, cause when you pull the driveshaft out it goes pooo....
another thing, wedge a long breaker bar or screwdriver into the driveshaft to keep it from turning with the rear wheels off the ground when you are removing the driveshaft to diff bolts.

you will also need a socket the right size to drive the new throwout bearing on.

don't forget to replace your slave cylinder too, mine blew shortly after putting the new clutch in.

oh, and keep the alignment tool in the clutch disc till its all bolted up, and NEVER let the tranny hang off the clutch disc. it ruins the dic.

syco3d
05-11-2003, 12:56 AM
Thanks for the tips man... I'm pretty sure that I'll have any tools I need EXCEPT for some bigger metric sizes. And as far as having some1 to help, my dad will be around -he knows alot more then I do about servicing cars- it's just that he won't be around MUCH. So I'll have to figure out/do most of it.

andrave
05-11-2003, 11:21 AM
I actually used standard sizes for some of the larger bolts... it can be risky rounding off bolts but I didn't have any problems..

syco3d
05-12-2003, 10:33 AM
*BUMP*

Any1 else have anymore info? ...I'm looking to install the clutch in a few hours