PDA

View Full Version : Pre Fab. Roll Cages

odi
10-11-2009, 09:07 PM
Just wanted to know who is using a pre fabricated cage that you bought from a company.

There are a few options out there, but I am a bit weary of them being legal.

I know there are other threads here that discuss similar topics. But I want to know who if anyone actually got a pre fabbed cage inspected by formula d. Not the "I heard" or "the company said" it is legal.

Thanks

turns101
10-11-2009, 09:24 PM
For Tandem with your local grassroots and for the Pro Am feed with Just Drift a bolt in with a door bar will be fine.

Any professional series Like FD or D1 it will not be. It also will not be for a pro am event.

Have someone make you a fd/D1 legal cage 1st time around. It will be worth it..

OneTekWes
10-12-2009, 01:06 AM
Hey Odi. Like the big guy said local and grassroots with a bolt in is fine. But in terms of using one for the pro series if u were going to use one as a base u might be able to make it work. As long as the materials meet Fd spec and it doesn't have to many bends in the wrong places (cusco A) I don't see why not. I wouldn't take my chances though be sure it'll pass and have someone that builds cages on the professional level do urs cough cough GIlbert Amerikajin CF lol. Dude honestly ur a serious driver u need serious equipment.

dkwasherexd
10-12-2009, 01:16 AM
No kidding, I have to grind/cut and tearout my current cage and redo it if I want to get into pro am..

GSXRJJordan
10-12-2009, 01:28 AM
Price difference between DOM prefab'd cages and one built for your car are minimal. Talk to some fab shops.

sevenstar
10-12-2009, 01:55 AM
if you want i can get you intouch with the formula d person who can go over the cage requirements with, pm me if your interested

revat619
10-12-2009, 02:13 AM
Unless there has been a change, as far as i know, Autopower is legal for everything....and those are pre-fabbed.

junkyiv
10-12-2009, 08:02 AM
^^ WRONG. FD will not accept ANY bolt-in cage.

Soloman
10-12-2009, 09:39 AM
how about the mazworx prefabbed weld in cage. they say it is D1, FD and SCCA. anyone know how true this is or does anyone have one. I have seen some cages they have done and they are amazing. I have not seen or talked to anyone that has done one of their prefabbed though. ???

thefro526
10-12-2009, 09:44 AM
how about the mazworx prefabbed weld in cage. they say it is D1, FD and SCCA. anyone know how true this is or does anyone have one. I have seen some cages they have done and they are amazing. I have not seen or talked to anyone that has done one of their prefabbed though. ???

As far as I know, Mazworx cages have passed D1 tech. When you buy a mazworx cage you're essentially buying the cage that'd they'd install in your car at their shop but instead you install it. Search around, I think a couple of people have posted up about these cages being legal in various series.

A friend of mine has a Cusco bolt-in cage in his Z33 and it's good enough for tandem at the grass roots level. I'd suggest you spend the money on a pro level cage the first time though, just in case the rules ever change.

odi
10-12-2009, 12:20 PM
Thanks much for the reply guys.

I figured that most people with FD aspirations just get custom builds, but I guess you never know until you ask.

turns101
10-12-2009, 10:17 PM
It can be pre fabbed. Pre cut to be easier for the welded install as long as it meets the specs. if mazwork is the right size of tube ID, correct bends, correct door bars ect.. thats fine to weld in.

Get a copy of the 09 rulebook if you plan to do the pro am.

If not, wait for the 2010. Shit always changes.

landins13
10-12-2009, 10:24 PM
i know for drag racing the standards just got changed around a little, but no bolt in cage is acceptable a pregab cage would be if it is a weld in cage made out of chromoly or dom steel and it has to be fully tig welded no mig welding allowed. i know its that way for drag i would hope given the danger of the sport that it is the same for drifting and grip as well

havocmotorsports
10-13-2009, 10:13 AM
autopower are pretty good.... but if ur serious about performance driving, y would you want a 1/2 ass cage? Anyways for almost all uni-bodies u really need to go through the firewall and pickup at ALL the suspension points! Give us a call to get sum ideas. good luck

Jonnie Fraz
10-13-2009, 10:32 AM
autopower are pretty good.... but if ur serious about performance driving, y would you want a 1/2 ass cage? Anyways for almost all uni-bodies u really need to go through the firewall and pickup at ALL the suspension points! Give us a call to get sum ideas. good luck

Please correct me if I am wrong, but in D1 you can not go through the firewall.

g6civcx
10-13-2009, 10:55 AM
I want to know who if anyone actually got a pre fabbed cage inspected by formula d. Not the "I heard" or "the company said" it is legal

Why would the answer to this question help you?

Since there are so many variations in cage design, the only way to make sure if your cage will pass is to talk to the tech inspector.

Anything else will just be guessing at best.

This is like me asking my neighbour across the street to use the swim pool that belong to my neighbour next door.

The guy across the street can say whatever he wants, but I still need to go straight to the source and talk to the person who will actually allow you to run.

fckillerbee
10-13-2009, 01:11 PM
formula d and d1 cant go through firewall. but you can make mounting brackets on each side with support. They have rulebooks.