PDA

View Full Version : Mysterious Clutch Problem!!! HELP ZILVIA!

Rookie84
10-09-2009, 10:45 AM
I am in need of some tech ideas that could possibly solve my clutch problem.

First of all, I have replaced clutch fluid to make sure I have no air in the system.

The symptom is that my clutch engagement moves on its own.
When it does this, clutch pedal gets firm and loses the initial free-play of the pedal.
Also, the engagement point comes up considerably higher than the original setting.

Now, this only happens when the car sits at idle for awhile at operating temps and
there are no signs of the clutch slipping in any way (still grabs hard).
It will continue until the car has been parked or turned off for awhile.

Weird thing is that if I do not let the car sit at idle or continuously drive the car, this problem will not occur.
Once the problem is present, it will continue and will not fix itself until the car sits.

The slave seems to be in working condition but could a bad master cylinder cause such a problem?
I feel like it has to with some sort of cooling and heating issue but I cannot pin point.

Please help! I'm lost..:hs:

Rookie84
10-11-2009, 09:26 AM
No one has ever had this issue? ;)

mazersx
10-11-2009, 09:49 AM
sound like clutch master cylinder...

YKPOWER240
10-11-2009, 11:26 AM
Are you getting 100% clutch travel? or is it a much smaller amount then usual?

Ineedparts
10-11-2009, 12:05 PM
My guess is the slave

Rookie84
10-11-2009, 10:57 PM
I am getting 100% clutch travel.
But when this problem occurs, I feel like I am getting 120% clutch travel if that makes sense.

The slave has been switched but to a used one.
It would be a rare case that the second slave is a faulty unit but I'll still keep it mind
I guess I will switch out the master.

10-11-2009, 11:59 PM
i'm having the same prob. my clutch line went out, so when i changed it i also changed my master and slave. i bought the parts from new from napa. 2 days later the new master or slave went out. i'm now changing the parts out with oem nissan ones. at 1st when i start the car in the morning it was fine, but when the car warmed up it was like the clutch travel was alot higher.

negrosx13
10-12-2009, 02:27 AM
ima having the damm problem..if u dont let the car idle for 5mins since my clutch is kinda beat up and old is hard to put into gears..Other than same symptom..i was thinking the master but i have strong feeling its the pressure plate or something

Rookie84
10-12-2009, 09:44 AM
Hmm, I am going to start with the master cylinder but I hope it is not the pressure plate.
I will update if I get this problem solved, please do the same!!

93nismo
10-12-2009, 09:51 AM
i dont think its the master. i just had to replace mine and the pedle just dident do anything for me. felt the same, just dident do its job. but it WAS the master cylender. might want to get a new slave.

thats just my experiance. ignor the horrible spelling:]

negrosx13
10-15-2009, 12:04 AM
please update if its the master soo i could replace mines asap

ges311
10-26-2009, 06:43 PM
I am having a similar issue with pedal travel. Engagement doesn't seem to move but clutch engagement is at the top of the pedal. I have replaced my new slave cylinder with a used one and will be replacing the master cylinder next. Gonna order BECK/ARNLEY Part # 0728893 from rockauto.com.

I have tried adjusting the pedal and bleeding several times. I think maybe the master cylinder i got from frsport.com is not right or i damaged it with dot 5.1 fluid.

slim
11-03-2009, 09:57 AM
i have the same prob. it all started with sr swap. with single cam no prblems with clutch at all! swapped sr left all original (single cam) hydro parts. stock sr clutch started to not disenage after 1/8 mile track day. next started to have prob your decribing (disengagemant or pedal gets higher and higher the hotter it gets, let it cool down and pedal is back to normal.) replaced clutch with spec stage 2. prob still exists. next tried replacing all hydro parts, aftermarket master, nismo slave and braided line with stock hardline and damper box. still has problem. in my case i think the problem has to do with added heat from turbo. at the moment i dont have any heat shielding on manifold and inner fender cover missing so maybe the hot air is moving where it wasnt intended to through the triangle out wheel well heating the lines or master to the point where it changes pedal height. im going to try the megan heat shield and see what happens.
please update with fix if any!

Rookie84
11-05-2009, 08:38 AM
i have changed the clutch masterand slave but no luck so far. Maybe my next step is to remove the damper box??

I am going to power bleed the clutch system tomorrow.
Will report back.