PDA

View Full Version : Question for those of you with power steering coolers

timlush
10-08-2009, 02:23 PM
Just got my car up and running for the first time after an engine swap and adding the power steering cooler. The steering is super notchy and feels like crap. Doesn't want to return to straight coming out of a turn either. I am thinking maybe there is air trapped somewhere in the system? Anyone have this problem before? Car has been down for about a year and never had this problem before. I can't rule out the pump either because this is the first time this engine has ran since I have owned it.

Any input/suggestions?

aznpoopy
10-08-2009, 03:42 PM
did you bleed the system?

MELLO*SOS
10-08-2009, 03:57 PM
^ +1. Also how did you install your cooler? Totally sounds like you have air in your system, maybe the cooler/lines are making it difficult for the air to escape.. Post a pic of your setup.

timlush
10-08-2009, 05:31 PM
As far as bleeding the system, I just kept adding fluid and turning the wheel slowly back and forth until the air bubbles stopped, which didn't take very long at all. Is there a better way to do it?

The cooler is outside the engine bay in the fender area. The cooler is installed in between the rack return line and the reservoir. The reservoir is still the highest point in the system.

S14DB
10-08-2009, 05:41 PM
As far as bleeding the system, I just kept adding fluid and turning the wheel slowly back and forth until the air bubbles stopped, which didn't take very long at all. Is there a better way to do it?

You did this while the car was running?

timlush
10-08-2009, 08:21 PM
Yep. I didn't see any air bubbles after the first turn each way.

dongoesby
10-08-2009, 11:15 PM
have you ever mess with the toe? if you did, a zero toe or toe out would delay the wheel from coming back from a turn. I have zero toe on mine, and the steering wheel won't return as sharp as before (stock toe in).

timlush
10-10-2009, 03:44 PM
Any better way to bleed it than just turning the wheel back and forth?

S14DB
10-10-2009, 07:13 PM
Jack the front end up so the wheels are off the ground and put it on jack stands. Start it up and turn the wheel lock to lock. Keep turning lock to lock till all the bubbles are gone. Do it about 6 more times after the bubbles stop. Should take 3-10mins of turning slowly not spinning the wheel as fast as you can.

Def
10-10-2009, 07:22 PM
Are your lines going UP into the cooler, or DOWN into the cooler? It takes a lot of flow(probably more then the PS system has) to bleed a system with the ports going UP into the cooler.

You can run an engine oil cooler with the lines going up, but not sure about a PS one.

RBSilvia1406
10-11-2009, 02:37 AM
Jack the front end up so the wheels are off the ground and put it on jack stands. Start it up and turn the wheel lock to lock. Keep turning lock to lock till all the bubbles are gone. Do it about 6 more times after the bubbles stop. Should take 3-10mins of turning slowly not spinning the wheel as fast as you can.
+1 the way ive always done it, and the only way that i know of.

timlush
10-11-2009, 07:50 PM
Are your lines going UP into the cooler, or DOWN into the cooler? It takes a lot of flow(probably more then the PS system has) to bleed a system with the ports going UP into the cooler.

You can run an engine oil cooler with the lines going up, but not sure about a PS one.

The are going up, just slightly. The cooler sits about the same level as the top of the bumper. Maybe if I unbolt the cooler and let it sag while bleeding?

240 GTR
10-11-2009, 10:49 PM
does the pump whine as if there were low fluid in the system?

Def
10-12-2009, 05:44 PM
The are going up, just slightly. The cooler sits about the same level as the top of the bumper. Maybe if I unbolt the cooler and let it sag while bleeding?

I don't mean the elevation of the lines, I mean the direction of the inlet/outlet of the cooler. Is the fluid traveling UP going into the core, or DOWN?

timlush
10-13-2009, 01:36 PM
The pump makes no noise at all.

The cooler is actually laying on it's side. So coming in and going out, the fluid is always the same level.

Ceepo
10-13-2009, 01:53 PM
post some pictures it would help out alot man...

brokeAs240sx
10-13-2009, 06:33 PM
- your car hasn't been running in a year
- you are trying to diagnose if your steering issues are because of air since you installed a ps cooler

try

- removing the ps cooler & bleed again
- if the car still has the same problems, whatever it is, then it's not your ps cooler...

also

- you replaced with all new ATF for the power steering right?
- with the engine on & the ps cap off, you can see the fluid swirling, yes? if it's not moving, your pump isn't working.

timlush
10-14-2009, 08:43 AM
I'm gonna try to get out there today and bypass the cooler. I'm betting this will fix it. All new ATF was used and yes the fluid is moving around in the reservoir.

timlush
10-14-2009, 03:45 PM
Eliminated the cooler and nothing changed. So the only thing different from my old setup is the RB pump and new high pressure line.

I'm going to swap out the pump and see what happens.