PDA

View Full Version : overheating....after engine swap.

wizdom98117
05-08-2003, 11:15 PM
I swapped in ka24de in a 91 s13, it was running very well up until yesterday. It started overheating the temp gauge was at extremely hot....then it shut itself off. Smoke was coming from the block. I know the motor is still perfect, the weird part was that the radiator overflow tank was still full, and the radiator core and cap were both cool as if the rad fluid wasn't circulating.

Any suggestions on what it may be. I think there's a blockage of flow w/the radiator fluid somewhere....but what could be causing all the smoke, and the tapping noises (sounds like valve taps)...I don't know very weird.

any help appreciated.

Evil S14
05-08-2003, 11:31 PM
go to some place that does power flushing, maybe some one put a potato in your block

FliMSiCaL
05-08-2003, 11:34 PM
get rid of the oem radiator now, its 3/8" thick and probably is clogged. Nissan radiators from that time period have a horrible knack for clogging/splitting/sucking etc. I lost a KA to one already. I now have an all metal 5/8" in mine, some off brand i got for 135 brand new, had it for a year so far with nothing but good cooling.

Halz
05-09-2003, 01:45 AM
Check the thermostat with an accurate temperature gauge (...not a meat thermometer)

wizdom98117
05-09-2003, 08:33 AM
someone else had advised me to change the thermostat...saying that he was %100 sure that would fix it. But, how would changing the thermostat fix the smoking problem.....and there's still the issue of the ticking sounds(like valve ticks).

Thanks

kalieaire
05-09-2003, 12:56 PM
if smoke is coming from your block, you might have a messed up head, if you're very lucky, it's just your HG that's toasted.

basically, when your engine gets super hot, your head warps, because the head and the block have different rates of expansion.

this can cause motor oil to leak past the hg and over your hot exhaust manifold or other parts of your block.

in most cases, you're ****ed.

i'm sorry to say, but you should've pulled over and turned off your engine at the first sign of overheating.

running the engine til it stops on its own? sorry, that's irresponsibility.