PDA

View Full Version : Subwoofer box stuffing in rear fender?

g6civcx
10-06-2009, 11:08 AM
Please don't comment about weight or cost or hardcoreness.
===========================
There is a large area between the rear fender and the interior metal panel. I would like to fill up this area with some type of foam or filler to reduce the echo chamber effect.

I looked into polyfil and even household expanding foam. I'm mostly turned off by them being flammable and emitting noxious fumes when exposed to sunlight.

Any recommendation on the material to use?

mehsilvia
10-06-2009, 12:29 PM
Yeah, i dont think the expanding foam stuff is a good choice either. Wont be able to remove it in the event you need to repair the fender.

Im thinking the speakerbox foam stuff.

http://www.parts-express.com/graphics/SecondaryPgs/acoustic-speaker-building.jpg

Perhaps that cheap egg-crate material you can find at fabric stores will work?

Or how about shoving a couple of those memory foam pillows in there

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/assets/product_images/380/6992114726080P.JPG

S14DB
10-06-2009, 12:44 PM
Wall off the sides with AcoustaBoard?

projectRDM
10-06-2009, 01:11 PM
Go to any decent auto upholstery supplier and buy some jute padding, it's the same stuff found on the backside of your OE carpet. Cut it into smaller pieces, wad them up, and stuff the cavity full.

You can then hit the quarter panel from the outside and it sounds solid, like hitting a bumper reinforcement.

I did this in my first 1995 S14 and again on the new one. Makes a very noticeable difference when driving, rocks and debris kicked up in the wheel well are completely silent.

MrChow
10-06-2009, 04:55 PM
Go to any decent auto upholstery supplier and buy some jute padding, it's the same stuff found on the backside of your OE carpet. Cut it into smaller pieces, wad them up, and stuff the cavity full.

You can then hit the quarter panel from the outside and it sounds solid, like hitting a bumper reinforcement.

I did this in my first 1995 S14 and again on the new one. Makes a very noticeable difference when driving, rocks and debris kicked up in the wheel well are completely silent.
oo I like that idea.

s14canyoncity
10-07-2009, 01:13 AM

hmm yeah very good idea i was going to use some sort of spray on dyno mat. just wondering did it add any significant weight, any noticeable change in ride height? ( i mean it cant possibly weight that much but never hurts to ask)

jayrawr
10-07-2009, 01:30 AM
i might just do this... damn car is too loud lol

projectRDM
10-07-2009, 04:25 AM
hmm yeah very good idea i was going to use some sort of spray on dyno mat. just wondering did it add any significant weight, any noticeable change in ride height? ( i mean it cant possibly weight that much but never hurts to ask)

An entire roll weighs about 30lbs and is maybe 20yds of material, I used maybe half the roll stuffing cavities all over the car. I know people are hung up on weight but I think it's retarded on a street driven car to sacrifice a few pounds and have it sound like a tin can.

jhageman
10-07-2009, 05:37 AM
Yeah, i dont think the expanding foam stuff is a good choice either. Wont be able to remove it in the event you need to repair the fender.

Im thinking the speakerbox foam stuff.

http://www.parts-express.com/graphics/SecondaryPgs/acoustic-speaker-building.jpg

Perhaps that cheap egg-crate material you can find at fabric stores will work?

Or how about shoving a couple of those memory foam pillows in there

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/assets/product_images/380/6992114726080P.JPG

cool...ive been wondering what to use myself to fill in cavities...ill hit up the fabric store. i just finished scraping old deadener off floor pans...mainly to check for hidden rust. i coated my floor pans with some bedliner i had sitting in my shop. i finished laying r-blox on passenger side the other night. its like dynamat, but its 70mil thick!:bigok:

s14canyoncity
10-07-2009, 06:40 AM
An entire roll weighs about 30lbs and is maybe 20yds of material, I used maybe half the roll stuffing cavities all over the car. I know people are hung up on weight but I think it's retarded on a street driven car to sacrifice a few pounds and have it sound like a tin can.

not concern about weight its my DD i rather have the cabin silent. i follow you on that there other ways of doing weight reduction on a street driven car i don't believe in gutting out the interior.

zenki.life
10-07-2009, 11:59 AM
not concern about weight its my DD i rather have the cabin silent. i follow you on that there other ways of doing weight reduction on a street driven car i don't believe in gutting out the interior.

neither do it. especially when most of the zilvians never see the track. for those that do....gutting is completly understandable.

g6civcx
10-08-2009, 09:02 AM

GSXRJJordan says to leave the cavities unfilled. My local audio installer recommends expanding foam.

Right now I'm leaning towards the jute padding. I can get it for about $6 per yard on ebay.

Munki
10-08-2009, 09:18 AM
For some reason the previous owner of my car fiber glassed the rear fender area on my car so I covered my alll of my interior with thick ass carpet and dynomat. I have a full 3" exhaust from turbo all the way back with no cats and its quite... lol I no longer hear road noise, rocks, and other random noises. Even my roof has some dyno mat, so it inside of the car stays alittle cooler. Im a big audio person, so I kinda need music no matter what. Got 6x9's front and back with some extra 4x9s in rear and tweeters in front along with a 10" sub powered by a 1000 watt amp. Sounds amazing!

g6civcx
10-08-2009, 09:32 AM
For some reason the previous owner of my car fiber glassed the rear fender area on my car so I covered my alll of my interior with thick ass carpet and dynomat. I have a full 3" exhaust from turbo all the way back with no cats and its quite... lol I no longer hear road noise, rocks, and other random noises. Even my roof has some dyno mat, so it inside of the car stays alittle cooler. Im a big audio person, so I kinda need music no matter what. Got 6x9's front and back with some extra 4x9s in rear and tweeters in front along with a 10" sub powered by a 1000 watt amp. Sounds amazing!

Thanks for being helpful, but you did not answer my question.

Munki
10-08-2009, 10:29 AM
Thanks for being helpful, but you did not answer my question.

Sorry... But i dont see anything wrong with filling it with some type of foam...

Like I said in my previous post, the guy who owned my hatch before me fiber glassed the openings on my car. So what I did was cover everything with dynomat and then covered it with carpet. Got a dremmel and cut out an opening that I can open and close just incase I get some rear damage. Filling that area with foam might be alot easier.