PDA

View Full Version : attn: sr20det guru

keMz
10-04-2009, 03:29 AM
hi, im going to upgrade my sr soon and was curious about everyones input.
i know alot of people upgrade there t25 to gt2871 and i had a question as if thats the best turbo to put in a sr20 without losing the low end or if thats just the cheapest turbo with the best results.
i was thinking about being different and doing a top mount setup with a gt3071 or gt3076 but was curious if id be losing alot of low end. i know the way my car is now with the t25, it has quick pick up but high end isnt really there.
im not going to say money is no object but i do want to set my car up right the first time. my motor is built.. (rods/pistons/metal head gasket/springs/retainers/oil pan, etc)

im just looking for positive and negative feedback from people who have tested these setups.. anyone try to put one t25 and let it feed a t30..?

thanks guys.. any input is nice!

SleepR 240sx
10-04-2009, 10:55 AM
So your asking the difference between a small turbo and a big turbo? Wow.

Of course you will have more low end with a small turbo. Will take less time to spin up but will run out of breath quicker. Vice versa with a large turbo. It's common sense.

http://zilvia.net/f/tech-talk/124925-gt2871-users-sr-motor.html

Look through that, search next time and don't make useless threads.

aNskY
10-04-2009, 11:16 AM
top mount gt30 is hardly "unique".

in fact theres not much you can do to an sr nowadays to be different... it's all been done!

keMz
10-04-2009, 02:12 PM
So your asking the difference between a small turbo and a big turbo? Wow.

Of course you will have more low end with a small turbo. Will take less time to spin up but will run out of breath quicker. Vice versa with a large turbo. It's common sense.

http://zilvia.net/f/tech-talk/124925-gt2871-users-sr-motor.html

Look through that, search next time and don't make useless threads.

lmao.. yah useless threads.. thanks!

usdm180sx
10-04-2009, 04:30 PM
I would go 2.2 stroker if I went top mount to compensate for the tq loss

4x4le
10-05-2009, 07:02 PM
The gt2871r spools very fast provided your over 4krpms, however your lowend below that will suck. Depending on what kind of driving you do should help determine this. If your wanting to drag race or when taking off in 1st gear is important the 2871 is a good turbo because since traction is low in first the late responce actually helps. If your road racing you just learn to keep the rpms in the turbos efficiency. If your wanting to do auto-x or gymkhana the turbo is too large for the sr.

I love mine for higher speed drifting but dislike it for slower more technical stuff.

A good turbo for you to consider is the s15 t28 or a gt28rs. Both great turbos. For the price the s15 turbo is a way better deal, but enjuku racing just released a turbo that is very similar to the s15 t28 under their isis brand. It is only $500 brand new!

Something else for you to consider is for you to use a gt2871r or larger turbo to its max potential on a sr your going to need to be running race fuel. You can make 330whp however with a s15 turbo, isis turbo or gt28rs (disco potato) on pump gas which is about the same hp you will be able to make with a gt2871r on pump gas, but it will still spool slower than the smaller cheaper choices.

Guys, just remember that everyone was a noob once. His question seemed fairly legitimate to me. Sure the info was out there but he wanted honest opinions from sr owners that have experience with different turbos. Many times when you read someones thread when they made a turbo selection they are going to say they love the turbo because:
A: They just spent allot of money on it so they are going to like it
B: They already knew what they wanted and made the best choice for themselves
C: They dont realize they could have had more fun with out going all out on a big turbo.