PDA

View Full Version : how much is too much to drift legally at a track?

Manuelitoohno
10-01-2009, 09:02 PM
how much are you willing to pay? for a safe and fun drift event.

how much is too much ?

sometimes i think that the heads are kinda also taking advantage.

think of this. say there are 17 cars or lets make it even and simple so say 14.

14 drivers and they paid say 160 bucks for a one night/ day event. thats $2,240.00

and say that spectators pay 10 bucks and there is 200 people thats $2,000.00

say ride alongs are 20 bucks for friends and family of the drifters that allready paid to drift so say there are 1 ride along for every drifters (maybe girlfriend or a friend) so thats 14 ride alongs = $280.00

$4,520. in 4 hours!

WTF thats alot LOL now imagine theres more drivers thats more money.
and not to mention most of the time the track crew are volunteers that do it for free and sometimes they charge photographers or media to have a pass

will there ever be a point where enough is enough?

i mean arent the biger events cheaper too? lol isnt topdrift 3 200 bucks for 2 days? thats a hell of a deal compared to rookie events that are a lil more for 3 hours

charlie321
10-01-2009, 09:21 PM
Should consider:
-Track Rental
-Insurance (alot of money)
-Instructors
-Staff
-Media
-Food

Insurance is the big one though. Some people are willing to pay more for less drivers to have more track time.

In some cases, event holders may have prices to compensate for drivers that flake and may potentially put the holder in a money hole.

Manuelitoohno
10-01-2009, 09:32 PM
Should consider:
-Track Rental
-Insurance (alot of money)
-Instructors
-Staff
-Media
-Food

Insurance is the big one though. Some people are willing to pay more for less drivers to have more track time.

In some cases, event holders may have prices to compensate for drivers that flake and may potentially put the holder in a money hole.

well i dont know how it is by you. but most all events i been to. instructors are the non beginner drivers at the event. lol

food is a independently owned lunch bus LOL that parks in front.

staff are drivers that are volunteers lol

but yea i bet insurance would be a bitch specially now in days in this country. but at the same time i dont think its that much because at least some events i been to all the spectators sign a waiver saying no one is responsible for their injuries.

so im guessing insurance is just for the cars? but at the same time dont you have to have insurance in your car if you participate?

Flipzide
10-01-2009, 09:33 PM
you're forgetting insurance, and consumables like mentioned above...

given the time that people take to schedule, organize, and run an event, prices have been fair.

also when it comes to competitions, fees are increased to most likely help fund the prizes. oh and not everyone charges for spectating and ride-alongs. i can only think of two venues that do that combined.

things in life are not free... people do it just to help out and some do it to make a profit for their time; even though it's marginally small at best. i don't see anything wrong with that.

edit: if you think an event organizer is doing it for reasons you dont like, simply don't go and attend another event organized by someone else

badicalradical
10-01-2009, 09:41 PM
Im not sure about other tracks but the cheapest you can ever rent buttonwillow (off months on weekdays) is $4300-$5000 and that includes no insurance cost of promoting event staff (not track officials) ect,ect,ect..........

Know of quite a few times event organizers have lost money trying to put on an event.

You have to figure this is their job, I doubt any of us would work for free.

badicalradical
10-01-2009, 09:43 PM
Im not sure about other tracks but the cheapest you can ever rent buttonwillow (off months on weekdays) is $4300-$5000 and that includes no insurance cost of promoting event staff (not track officials) ect,ect,ect..........

Know of quite a few times event organizers have lost money trying to put on an event.

You have to figure this is their job, I doubt any of us would work for free.

haha +1

got up to eat somthing and by the time i sent my message somebody already took the words out of my mouth

azndoc
10-01-2009, 09:46 PM
renting venues are expensive

trust

I understand what your trying to say, but its easier said than done.

If your not happy about it then perhaps you should do something about it.

But take into consideration these things though:
1.) Finding a venue that will let you fuck up the track
2.) Finding insurance to cover the track, driver liability, and spectators.
3.) Finding the people to drive at the events
4.) Finding volunteers to work for.
5.) Finding the motivation to continue if things don't go your way.

This is all spoken from personal experience working for Drift Day and JD.

So I'm not taking out of my ass.

Good luck.

Manuelitoohno
10-01-2009, 09:52 PM

trust

Good luck.

damn wtf u guys have good drift events.! lol all the drift events i been to are a parking lot LOL and like i said i sign waivers that tels us if your kill then sucks for you. and theres no prize money LOL
:wtf:

cali here i come!

drift_limo
10-01-2009, 09:57 PM

trust

Good luck.

no sir you are not.

its a long process.

Ive tryd to bring or do something like this b4.

but i hear people sayin stuff like this oh its too much cash this and that to drift .. well ok go drift in the street get a ticket, car taken away,tow fees,tickets ect. lets see how much that comes out too.

drift event are worth the $160+ IMO

ericcastro
10-01-2009, 10:27 PM
damn wtf u guys have good drift events.! lol all the drift events i been to are a parking lot LOL and like i said i sign waivers that tels us if your kill then sucks for you. and theres no prize money LOL
:wtf:

cali here i come!

it all depends on your area.

California price is a little over $100. you bring your own food. MOST events dont charge spectators, but the track might to cover thier insurence for you being there.

here in California, event owners really just get by and do it because at some point they enjoyed being part of motor sports or wanna keep people off the streets.

The volenteers on the track also do it for who knows what reason. Usually because they are nice people and know that they are capable of doing it safely where others are not. Or at the 626 events we get about an hour of track time for helping out all day in the heat.

The "events" that are practice days and make money,.......well,.........thats a whole different thing.
Like anything popular, as soon as its big enough, the leeches show up and suck it dry.

SUPERSTAR
10-01-2009, 10:42 PM
Yup and do not forget the Fire Marshalls. Depending on the group size, you may need more than two.

It is a lot of work and stress. TRUST ME!!

150.00 in my opinion is good for me. Anything more than that would have to be like a rare track or something super exciting.

koukikat180sx
10-02-2009, 08:41 AM

trust

Good luck.

well said, jack. sometimes you don't realize how much time, work and money it takes to put on these events until you're on that side of the fence.

btw... when are you coming back out to dd?

Edgar
10-02-2009, 09:14 AM
I agree with azndoc, I run events here in the Midwest and it's alot of work. trust me.

rocketman2w1x1
10-02-2009, 09:56 AM

trust

Good luck.

I agree with azndoc, I run events here in the Midwest and it's alot of work. trust me.

I also run events in South Eastern Virginia.
The two things people never seem to realize. Look at from my perspective, I've been to two drift events this year that cost me $800.00 each, so what ever I did make on the other events plus some was lost, but i keep doing it.

burnsauto
10-02-2009, 10:02 AM
yeah...not a whole lot of tracks are real big on drifting, it tears up the track really quickly.

The venue alone can cost over 2k EASILY, there is a reason mainly porshe clubs, etc are the ones renting tracks. $$$.

Inland Drift
10-02-2009, 12:23 PM
$4,520. in 4 hours!

WTF thats alot LOL now imagine theres more drivers thats more money.
and not to mention most of the time the track crew are volunteers that do it for free and sometimes they charge photographers or media to have a pass

LOL..LOL... Sweet money... Good luck with that...LOL..LOL...

OBEEWON
10-02-2009, 12:49 PM
Anything more than a little is much to much, but less than alot is too little, so to get it just right you gotta do a lotta bit.