PDA

View Full Version : Altering a turbo

Zemus
05-07-2003, 09:48 AM
My friends dad was talking about how he put a bigger exhaust wheel in his stock turbo by working it down so that it would fit perfectly. He went from running 12 PSI to 17psi. Has anyone ever ulterd their turbo to run more boost or spool quicker. Im sure his dad could alter one for me, so i could possably make some sort of hybrid turbo, whats your guys imput.

twitchy
05-07-2003, 04:58 PM
by "working it down?"

Heres my advice. And my 240 doesnt have a turbo but my last car did.

BE VERY CAREFUL

as you know things move really fast in one of those turbos and theyre machined to spec. Personally I wouldnt want to alter one. Try looking for a shop that rebuilds them and see if they can help you. On my old car, it wasnt boosting to the max of 9 psi which it said on the boost gauge. I had it "rebuilt" cost me a bit but it boosted past 9 psi afterwards and gained boost faster too.

misnomer
05-07-2003, 08:13 PM
Did he alter the turbine itself or put in a bigger turbine and alter the housing?

Big difference between the two. . . It seems relatively common to replace a wheel and it's housing (or alter the housing), but as twitchy said, it doesn't take much imbalance to do bad things.

ipt
05-08-2003, 07:14 AM
it sounds to me that he had the turbine wheel clipped. What that does is takes away some of the blades at a certain degree. People will say they have a 5 or 10 degree clip. What this ends up doing is removing some of the restriction that the original wheel makes. When you do this it should give you better top end, because of the reduced restriction in the exhaust path. The catch to this is that it will cost you spool on the bottom end. you might end up with 200-500 rpms greater lag. This is done on alot of turbos that people want to keep the stock turbo, but want to run N2O on.

Zemus
05-08-2003, 07:18 AM
Originally posted by misnomer
Did he alter the turbine itself or put in a bigger turbine and alter the housing?

Big difference between the two. . . It seems relatively common to replace a wheel and it's housing (or alter the housing), but as twitchy said, it doesn't take much imbalance to do bad things.

Yea he messed with the housing. Does it really help that much, would it help boost faster?

misnomer
05-08-2003, 07:55 PM
Larger turbine will tend to spool faster (if your motor pushes enough air for it). So yeah.