PDA

View Full Version : 18x8 wheels...what offset to get?

Siizzzoooo
05-06-2003, 09:20 PM
this is a package deal, so im not sure if there is a SET offset they're selling, so is there any that i should look for and NOT look for?

im currently on Pro-Kits and AGXs on my S13 and the gap is still ENORMOUS. i want to see how these wheels fill the gap. The tires will be 225/40s for the front and 235/40s for the rear OR can i do 235s all the way around?

What do you guys think?

btw, im also looking to get full coilovers in the near future...im looking for a near flush look, and camber to tuck.

I'm a newbie to the 240sx suspension setup, so please educate me.

Thanx guys!

Siizzzoooo
05-06-2003, 11:02 PM
After doing some searching, im gonna add some more info so you guys wont have to ask me :p

I do plan on doing the 300zx front brake upgrade.

The wheel I am getting is the Axis Se7en Mod 18x8(from reading, it was said that wheel design plays into clearing the 300zx brakes)

http://www.wheelmax.com/Wheels/Axis/sevenmod.gif

I plan on doing some racing, along with some shows in the near future.

I'm pretty set on getting Eibach Sportlines to replace my current Pro-Kits unless someone has some feedback as to why not to, or suggests something else.

Thank you for ANY response. I have searched, but i'm not really finding what im looking for :(

Dousan_PG
05-07-2003, 11:44 AM
near flush with camber? haha..18x8 +20 or lower (towards 0)

18x8 +30 will be sunken in a tad

+15 or +20 with about -3 camber will tuck nice and clear all brakes (depending on spoke design) and clears coilovers a-ok.

offset? dont get anything HIGHER then a +30.

Siizzzoooo
05-07-2003, 11:55 AM
Is that with going with the same offset, front AND back?

ARe you saying i should go +20 all around?

How are those tire sizes?

Dousan_PG
05-07-2003, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by Siizzzoooo
Is that with going with the same offset, front AND back?

ARe you saying i should go +20 all around?

How are those tire sizes?

btw, i think you should find some 18x9. 18x8 is pretty weak sized. 18x9 is nice and big. very nice.

if you want cambered in tucked and flush yeah +20 will do the job
r32 GTR are 16x8 +30 (dont pay attention to size, just width). they are sunken in a tad, nothing a 5mm spacer can push out and flush well

+20 or +15 will use a tad of neg camber but not a lot

oh are you s13 or s14? im referring to s13, s14 is SIMILAR but not same.

i would go same offset all around, if you want to rotate your wheels.

tires? its your call
215 or 225 would be nice. :) i dont kow much about 18s tire sizes, just 16s to 17s mostly.

Matt240SE
05-07-2003, 12:07 PM
You sidewall on your tire is way to small for 18s, try a 45 series tire. That will help with your gap too, proper sized tires.

Siizzzoooo
05-07-2003, 12:08 PM
Yes, i have an S13.

I too feel that 18x8 isnt wide enough, but the wheels dont get any wider unless i go with the 3 pieces :(

So let me get this straight. All four wheels at +20 and 225/40s all the way around to allow rotation...?

or i can do 225/40s in the front and 235/40s in the rear and have no rotation.

With the Sportlines, you think i'll have any problems with rubbing at all? I've looked at a few cars with 18s and sportlines, and they had maybe an inch gap or so. Very nice drop indeed.

Any other suggestions as far as suspension goes or wheels for the matter?

Siizzzoooo
05-07-2003, 12:10 PM
here is a peep at my car while we're at it

http://images.cardomain.com/member_img_b/262000-262999/262331_99_full.jpg

On Pro-Kits and AGXs

Dousan_PG
05-07-2003, 12:10 PM
oh yeah
see that flush cambered look isnt as easy as people think
you need to get your fenders rolled, runs as much as $50/fender

it tucks the lip so your fender is straight and when your suspension compresses it wont rub. its common for people with that VIP look (bmw and mercedes with 19s and 20s tucked). gotta roll fenders, its required
18x8 is ok and will do. if you want to play it safe and such go +30ish. should be fine.

rototion is your call. i dont know about tire clearance, i never run a tire more then the wheel, so i dont know. the wheel would hit first or same time as my tires. cant help you with tire sizes.

Siizzzoooo
05-07-2003, 12:19 PM
Rolling the fenders is no problem, i had to do it on my altima.

Also, when going with +20, will i have any problems with the tire running my suspension, like the strut or spring?

Or, when u say, get +30 and play it safe...what exactly is that doing V. the +20?

Sorry i have so many questions :(

Dousan_PG
05-07-2003, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by Siizzzoooo
Rolling the fenders is no problem, i had to do it on my altima.

Also, when going with +20, will i have any problems with the tire running my suspension, like the strut or spring?

Or, when u say, get +30 and play it safe...what exactly is that doing V. the +20?

Sorry i have so many questions :(

its ok
+20 will push the wheel AWAY From the spring/shock
+30 is more sunken in

but! going +20 will always push it past the fender (this is where you need to tuck it with camber and roll your fenders)

+30 wont need that, and if it does, VERY little camber probably wont need fenders rolled too. but you also have to watch your tire choice a tad more because of the offset (closer to shock/spring)

i think that's it. i am not expert,b ut this is what i've learned over time. hehe...its not bible. im sure someone can recommend more.

Siizzzoooo
05-07-2003, 12:36 PM
I am starting to understand the concept.

From my understanding...if i go with +20, i'll have less chance of rubbing the suspension, but more chance of rubbing the fender.

Is this when tire sizes come into play? If that is the case, i can also go with 225. ( i guess :p)

hookedup240
05-07-2003, 03:54 PM
ok, if these rims come in +30, i don't think you will have a problem running 225's all around, but the side wall might be too big, that is if your going with 45 series tires.

If the rims are +20 you will have no problems with the shock/spring as dousan said, but you will have to roll the fenders, maybe not in the front but you will have to do it in the back.

Siizzzoooo
05-07-2003, 04:21 PM
Here is the question of the day...

Will i have any problems with this setup: Sportlines and AGXs rollin 18x8 Axis Se7en Mods +30 with 225/40 tires?

What do you see wrong or right with this setup? Does it need anything?

If i decide to go with +20, is rollin the fenders the only thing i have to worry about? if so, that is nothing to me as far as worries go. :)

Thanks to everyone who has helped me :)

Siizzzoooo
05-07-2003, 04:29 PM
Here is my old car for comparison.

http://www.altimas.net/registry/users/Siizzzoooo/images/lg_Rollin4.jpg

Will the Sportlines yield a similar drop and minimal wheel gap with this wheel/tire combo?

A similar wheel gap or less is what im trying to achieve along with a nice set of wheels :cool: