PDA

View Full Version : Car starts, but idles like crap! Help! (detailed for the guru's)

CRyan
09-30-2009, 11:27 AM
Well guys, finally got the car running, sort of.... Here's the symptoms-
Just so everyone is clear, this is a s14(a) sr20det, with a lightened flywheel and an open recirculation valve (300zx), stock SMIC with piping.

At idle, it is running pig rich.
The car will rev above 2500 rpm, relieving that the problem could be a faulty mass air flow.
Above 2000, the car seems to be relatively smooth.
The oxygen sensor is from a 91 tt 300zx. I ordered one through Nissan yesterday (87 300zx single turbo).
The plugs are covered black, they all are- ruling out a hung injector.
I know cam to crank timing is right on the money, and I played with the CAS to see if anything would happen...nothing...it is right now advanced all the way.
Car has open downpipe.
There is a little popping in the intake mani...
This scared me enough to check compression again, with the best compression tester. I have got, starting with #1 cylinder, 160,158,159,160.

Wait- I didn't tell you all how I got it this far. Long story short, cam timing was WAY off, as if they were just thrown in, and there was air in fuel line. Got that fixed, now it's perfect.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Reason I checked compression again was to make sure I didn't bend a valve anywhere.

Plausable assumptions as of now-----
Maybe CAS is off a tooth or two?
oxygen sensor?
IACV?
AAC valve?

Please, remove any of these causes if you have decent argument as to why it wouldn't be any of these.
Also, what is "timing" mode and why would I need to set it for anything?

I can't see why it would be any vacuum leaks because I thought vacuum would lean it out, not flood it out and idle like crap...

Thanks guys!

P.S. Car is like a stumble between 300 and 650-700 rpm.

KiLLeR2001
09-30-2009, 03:14 PM
Did you spray carb cleaner around all your hoses to see if your idle increases at all? I'm almost 99% positive an '87 300zx Turbo o2 sensor will not work properly on an S14 SR20DET, that o2 sensor is only applicable to the redtop s13 SRs with #62 ECU.

RacerX1
09-30-2009, 04:31 PM
Vacuum leaks, fault O2^^, throttle position sensor, MAF, stuck injector, FPR etc etc. Search a little and you may find your answer.

KoukiMonsta
09-30-2009, 09:12 PM
Vacuum leaks, fault O2^^, throttle position sensor, MAF, stuck injector, FPR etc etc. Search a little and you may find your answer.

yes that

msglngth

CRyan
09-30-2009, 10:42 PM
How do you figure it could be maf? Also, I have searched. And searched. I am not new to theses forums, I just can't seem to find someone with this problem.

What about the vacuum leaks? I asked in the original post if you could answer why you belive it could be this or that.

From my understandings, a vac leak would be causing the car to lean out.

Also, notice I have ruled out stuck injector.

Can someone tell me more so of what I am supposed to be doing with the tps?as I asked earlier, I had a brief review on something DEALING with the tps (timing mode).

steve shadows
10-01-2009, 12:03 AM
make sure you put in new plugs if they are fouled at all, check your ignitor harness grounds make sure they are secure and make sure your fuel injectors are not leaking at all.

Then go ahead and check your vacuum system, get the smoke machine tester, it works the best for finding pesky leaks