PDA

View Full Version : Bushings or Arms?

jeremy242
09-30-2009, 07:50 AM
I am looking to do a little bit of suspension work to my 89 240sx. I think that this can go either way. I could get all adjustable arms for the rear and tensions in the front or i could just get a energy suspension bushing set and get ruca in the rear. I don't drift, auto cross, or anything with my car i just wanted to tighten her up. It would be cheaer to go with the bushings. I am on coilovers right now so that i s why i said i would get the ruca's with the bushings for the camber in the rear. The dfference in money is no big deal i planned on spending it anyway on the full adjustable but if it is not needed i can spend the money elsewhere. Thanks.

ManoNegra
09-30-2009, 08:02 AM
The ES master set is what I would recommend
just gotta make sure you lube the bushes periodically or else they'll star to squeak and
cause some binding.

jeremy242
09-30-2009, 09:46 AM
I was thinking the bushings were what i needed. I don't need full adjustability. It may be a little bit more work but it will be worth it. Thanks for the input.

Propaganda
09-30-2009, 10:34 AM
Install zerk grease fittings so that you can lube them up easier

jeremy242
09-30-2009, 10:53 AM
I will have to look into that. Would that be just a matter of drilling and tapping the fitting into the bushing holder(scientific term) or is it more than that.

HYPNOTIK
09-30-2009, 10:55 AM
How low is your car? If it's very low I'd go with the adjustable arms or else you'll never be able to get your alignment right. The adjustable arms would also be considerably less work to put on and to maintain.

ceiling240
09-30-2009, 11:00 AM
So far i've done the bushings in my front end. They made a huge difference compared to the old bushings. Feels very tight and you can feel the read quite well. I want to take everything apart again to install grease fittings though, I've heard they do wonders to improve durability.

jeremy242
09-30-2009, 11:08 AM
With the adjusable suff i have heard that they joints will wear out quick with daily driving. Still open to everyone opinion. Thanks

aznpoopy
09-30-2009, 11:45 AM
well, they do wear, but it won't be super quick, especially since i see you live in florida. replacing them will only be the cost of the heim, rather than the whole arm. second, heim arms are not your only option. SPC makes adjustable arms that use a rubber bushing instead of a heim.

as for the grease fitting, sounds about right. the fitting has to be able to deliver grease to the contact area between the metal es bushing sleeve and the bushing. iirc, the bushing also spiral grooves cut into the inner circumference to provide channels / extra store of grease.

jeremy242
09-30-2009, 03:51 PM
I have never had anything with a heim joint on my car before. What would living in florida have to do with the joint not waring out as quickly?
Also what bushings would i still have to replace if i were to go with the adjustable stuff? Would it just be the other end of the link that is without the joint. Thanks

aznpoopy
10-01-2009, 08:07 AM
yes. for the rear, you'd still need the bushings in the spindle.
don't forget about the front and rear lower control arms.

as for climate, for cars, dry > mild > really wet and salty

jeremy242
10-01-2009, 03:24 PM
I have new front lower control arms coming, i think that i am just going to get a full bushing kit and the adjustable arms and just re do the stock stuff in case i break something. Is there a difference in the lower ball joint from the fron to the rear. All i can find are front ones. Thanks

dan240
10-01-2009, 06:01 PM
ES Poly bushings in the front are fine, but you'll at least need a RUCA in the rear. The rear suspension needs to be able to flex some to run through its range of travel without binding. The ES bushings are so stiff they can bind up the rear. If your going with bushings the NISMO ones are much better....they are also much more expensive. If you're not racing/drifting you may not care.

Alot of the "tightness" you'll feel in the rear suspension once you've swapped the bushings will be from the rear spring rate being jacked up higher when it binds. The result will be car that likes to transfer from understeer to oversteer very, very quickly...which is not particularly fun...or fast.

jeremy242
10-02-2009, 10:54 AM
I may just do the arms right now and see what bushings need to be replaced when i have everything apart. I know that i want to get new ball joints in the rear but i will see what everyhting else looks like. If i am only replaceing the bushings on the spindles then i might be able to get away with it for a little bit until i can get what i need instead of paying for all the bushings that i won't. On the other hand if i do get the full set then i can set uo the stock stuff with the es stuff and swap it out if need be.