PDA

View Full Version : question about spark plugs

Munki
09-29-2009, 10:45 PM
Im about to change my spark plugs on a stock redtop and I was wondering if im suppose to just get plugs for a KA?

Honestly, i don’t know shit about cars so when I did a search I had no clue of what I was reading... One of the part numbers I found was BKR7EIX. Tried searching for them at autozone.com napaonline.com and I can’t find anything... I was also in the SR faq thread and I noticed that sentra se-r and 300zx plugs work, but, I saw a few post saying that they don’t fit or something like that…

let5l1de
09-30-2009, 12:50 AM
just call up the local parts stores. I'm sure one of them will have these sitting on the shelf.

BKR6E-IX or one step colder BKR7E-IX (for higher boost apps). These may be "pre-gapped" to specs but double check they are somewhere between .028 - .032

HYPNOTIK
09-30-2009, 02:27 AM
Like was said, BKR6E, EY, or EIX. You don't need 7's unless you're over 300hp.

I get mine from sparkplugs.com

HAWAII
09-30-2009, 01:52 PM
go to NIssan Dealer ang get plugs for 300zx TT. Nissans are very sensitive with the plugs

4x4le
09-30-2009, 08:20 PM
go to NIssan Dealer ang get plugs for 300zx TT. Nissans are very sensitive with the plugs

I see you keep telling people this but I just dont know why you would want to pay dealer prices for a plug, especially when its most likely the same ngk plug as everyone else uses but renamed for nissan.

Everyone I know including myself has great success with bkr6e and bkr7e on both kat's and sr's. I gap them at 26 on my engine but depending on how much boost your running you may want them at 28-32, if your running gobs of boost and a big turbo probably smaller than 26

let5l1de
10-01-2009, 12:11 AM
I see you keep telling people this but I just dont know why you would want to pay dealer prices for a plug, especially when its most likely the same ngk plug as everyone else uses but renamed for nissan.

Everyone I know including myself has great success with bkr6e and bkr7e on both kat's and sr's. I gap them at 26 on my engine but depending on how much boost your running you may want them at 28-32, if your running gobs of boost and a big turbo probably smaller than 26

very true statement!

btw:
NISMO Spark Plugs "22401-RN010-6/7/8" = NGK mfg. shhhhh.....

~m

jeb1517
10-02-2009, 07:19 PM
BKR6E-IX or one step colder BKR7E-IX (for higher boost apps). These may be "pre-gapped" to specs but double check they are somewhere between .028 - .032

What's the difference between regular spark plugs and "colder" spark plugs? Are they made of a different material? Different gapping? Which leads me to my next questions...

Could you elaborate on this a little further please? Why should more boost have a smaller gap? Is it because it takes longer for a strong enough charge to build up to jump a larger gap?

Sorry, noob here.

4x4le
10-02-2009, 07:52 PM
Colder plugs take more heat out of the combustion chamber. Too cold of a plug will fowl, it wont stay hot enough to clean itself. Too hot of a plug will make it too hot inside the combustion chamber and can lead to detenation. On my sr with a gt2871r when i was on gas i would run bkr7e and i would replace them about every 4 to 5k miles (i raced allot too) and when i switched to e85 they would fowl out every 3k miles. I then switched to bkr6e (a plug my engine didnt like on gas) and now they last 7-8 months easy! They would last a real long time if they were street duty only but i rarely street drive the car, its mostly a track car and ill get occosanial boost leaks that i dont get to fix until i get pit time so thats rough on them too.

Next, as far as gapping. You want the biggest gap you can get away with and not have "blow out". Basicially a miss during boost. The air fuel charge is so dence it makes it hard for the spark to jump the gap.

Sorry if there are any spelling or grammor errors, this was typed on my pda.