PDA

View Full Version : Washer Wiper Fluid light always on now

miklos
09-29-2009, 01:57 AM
I removed the Washer motor 8 months ago and left the plug just hanging.

Now the light is on. How can I turn it off? Put a resistor somewhere in the plug?

SoguRacing
09-29-2009, 02:15 AM
yes. probably a 10k resistor will do the job

g6civcx
09-29-2009, 08:08 AM
What car is this?

maxel
10-03-2009, 10:19 PM
IIRC there should be 3 plugs on the reservoir.
2 on the side (washer fluid pumps)
1 on the bottom (sensor)
The sensor works that when the fluid is low the 2 wires in the plug connect, completing the circuit for your warning light. You could try cutting the plug off and close the tip of the wire so it won't short. Or just try cleaning your plug.
Just keep your connector in case you need it someday, you can always solder the connector back on. If the connector is faulty you can use a connector from a lot of Nissans at the same age.
I hope that helps, I'm from Iceland so my English isn't the best.

projectRDM
10-04-2009, 09:03 PM
Horrible. You 'left it hanging', so it's apparently grounded out somewhere by hanging and rubbing on the fender/tire or something else. Insulate the damaged wire and tie it up somewhere.

miklos
10-05-2009, 01:57 AM
1990 S13
I only see one plug
Where would a 10k resistor go?

http://i37.tinypic.com/vxkyf9.jpg

projectRDM
10-05-2009, 07:34 AM
You do not use a resistor, someone was being a jackass.

The washer fluid plug is nowhere near the wiper motor, it's in the fenderwell behind the bumper.

g6civcx
10-05-2009, 09:26 AM
Where would a 10k resistor go?

Nowhere. The person who suggested the resistor does not know what's going on.

You need to learn how to read an FSM.

The washer warning lamp gets power from a 10A fuse that gets switched power when the key is at ON/ST. Power goes to the bulb via a red/blue wire. The other side of the bulb goes to a green wire that goes to the washer level switch.

The switch is located on the washer reservoir. When the level is low, the switch connects the green wire to ground, and the light comes on.

What's happening is that the green wire is getting grounded somehow.

Either there is a short in the green wire that is touching the chassis, or the sensor switch is stuck in the closed position.

Another unlikely scenario is that the red/blue wire and green wire are somehow getting power and ground. This could be due to bad wiring, or damage to some of the harness.

Sometimes I do wiring work for some of the local shops here in exchange for mechanical labor on my car. The shops typically charge $60-85/hour to diagnose wiring issues until the problem is found.

It's not easy to diagnose electrical problems in person, much less on the Internet.

Good luck.

miklos
10-14-2009, 06:12 PM
The switch is located on the washer reservoir? Does someone have a photo of the switch? Is this the plug to the switch?

g6civcx
10-14-2009, 06:26 PM
The switch is in the washer fluid reservoir. The thing that you pour fluid into. Look on the bottom under the car. There is a pair of wires sticking out.

hOngsterr
10-14-2009, 08:14 PM
lazy guy,

my light goes on also,
but its cause my motor (container next to pass. fender)
is broken maybe? and leaks out fluid,
soo i say just pop off the cluster and pull out the bulb that goes to the wiper warning

projectRDM
10-15-2009, 03:47 AM
The switch is located on the washer reservoir? Does someone have a photo of the switch? Is this the plug to the switch?

Yes.

No.

That's the ASCD actuator plug.

Does it look like the washer reservoir would fit there?

miklos
10-16-2009, 05:21 PM
Can you post a photo of the washer reservoir? Mine has been out for 6 months and I don't remember the location or what the plug looks like.

What is the ASCD?

projectRDM
10-18-2009, 07:26 PM
Can you post a photo of the washer reservoir? Mine has been out for 6 months and I don't remember the location or what the plug looks like.

What is the ASCD?

Sure, let me pull a picture out of my ass.

The reservoir is in front of the passenger side wheel, under the battery tray. Obviously, since the washer bottle neck goes down there.

ASCD. Buy an FSM or use google if you don't know. I'm not holding hands any more in this thread.

jzepol1985
10-18-2009, 07:31 PM
Sure, let me pull a picture out of my ass.

The reservoir is in front of the passenger side wheel, under the battery tray. Obviously, since the washer bottle neck goes down there.

ASCD. Buy an FSM or use google if you don't know. I'm not holding hands any more in this thread.

haha so awesome we need more tough love

miklos
12-19-2009, 06:01 AM
What is the fuse name and is it in the fuse box by my left foot or somewhere under the hood?

g6civcx
12-19-2009, 06:19 AM
The fuse controls power to all the cluster warning lamps. Unplugging the fuse will turn off the washer warning light but will also turn off every single light on the cluster as well as most of the interior electronic functions.

Trace the damn washer fluid level switch. There is a short somewhere in the system. Most likely the connector is rubbing against the body and shorting to ground.

miklos
12-21-2009, 12:30 AM
I'll climb under there as soon as I get a chance to lift the front of the car again. I saw the plug hanging down below the valence.