PDA

View Full Version : motor mounts possibly?

KingKong8247
05-06-2003, 01:58 PM
I dont know where to start so here it goes: A little while ago I was showing this dude my intake and this other guy said something like wow your engine sure is shaking a lot(during idle) which means you need new motor mounts. I didnt really pay much attention to him though because I didnt think he really new much. But I might be proved wrong or not I have no idea.

And then I posted up a little bit ago about a clunk in my passenger side front end while im shifting from 1-2 and 2-3 i think just them cant remember right now. People said its probably your t/c rods which I figured it was too because those bushings were pretty cracked but not quite oozing yet so I went and bought some Tein T/C rods. I thought ok sweet it wont be making that noise anymore but it still does everyday everytime I shift.

Now I am thinking maybe its my engine hitting something because the mount is shot. Or my tranny or something. Could this be the problem?? I have looked at my mount and cannot tell if it is in bad condition or not. Anyone have any pics of what a blown or old worn motor mount looks like?

Or does anyone know what the problem is that would be causing the clunking??

KingKong8247
05-06-2003, 07:21 PM
aww come on somebody has gotta know something. Possibly what are some signs of the motor mounts going?

Punisher
05-06-2003, 07:31 PM
I think my motor mounts are gone too cuz a few of my buddies were telling me that my motor rocks to much when u just rev it, but i dont get any noises even when im shifting, so i dont think that its the motor causing that noise when u shift.

AceInHole
05-06-2003, 07:33 PM
shake your engine. by hand (when it's cold). if it jiggles a bit it's fine. if it really moves, get new mounts.

i'm waiting to swap out my friends blown mounts to try and fill his shot mounts with polyurethane or something.

KingKong8247
05-06-2003, 07:44 PM
hey ace Ill try rocking it later and you think you can take some pics of them in and then out and I guess a write up would be nice. Write ups never hurt. But if ya can some pics please? Thanks

AceInHole
05-06-2003, 07:54 PM
I'll see. Don't even know when we'll get to it, but he's got a cherry picker in his garage, so it may be slightly easier than how anyone else might have to do it at home.

KingKong8247
05-06-2003, 07:57 PM
Yeah whenevers good i guess who knows if I get new ones anyhow I cant afford nismo ones or whatever right now anyhow. I mean if its broke and ya gotta fix it mine as well upgrade right?

True it will probably be a lot easier for you guys. Everyone else will just have to use a jack.

AceInHole
05-06-2003, 08:09 PM
Hopefully filling the mounts with window glue will work... and $15 "urethane" mounts for everyone! :P

DarkRaptor42
05-07-2003, 12:14 PM
Im with Ace on this one. If your mounts are crackes just fill um with polyurethane. Its WAY cheaper and from what Ive seen, its about the same as aftermarket mounts.

deviousKA
05-07-2003, 04:20 PM
if your mounts are cracked or shot windo weld will do nothing.
you will need some decent used mounts to do that. only way to get them is to scour wrecking yards. check the price for any kind of a new motor mount they are spendy. you can tell if they are shot by lifting engine with cherry picker or jacking it up. also if your shifter lays to far to the side that is your problem

mrmurphz
05-13-2003, 10:48 AM
I think I might have the same problem. When I'm sitting in my car at idle, I can feel it shaking. Its pretty annoying. I wasn't sure if it was the motor mounts though because when I put a little load on it, it stops shaking. It only shakes a lot between 750-1000 rpms. I did various things like clean my aiv valve, tb, and intake manifold. It helped a little but the shaking was still there. I also changed my spark plugs and checked my injector plug harnesses. Would worn motor mounts show signs of wear only at low rpms? Does anyone else out there have the same problem with shaking at idle?

CrazyS13
05-14-2003, 08:08 AM
Yo. I am the guy that Ace has mentioned. My motor mounts are like jelly. They are in pretty good shape as far as not being cracked or anything but they have just gotten soft. I bought some window seal with contains polyurethane and made a test sample and i am waiting to it to harden and then i am gonna beat the sh!t outa it to see how it will hold up. Hopefully it will do the trick of just stiffening my stock mounts (and tranny mount) which are still strong but lack stiffness. Also, when you do the hand test, put your body weight into shaking the motor, you will know right away if they are bad. I am gonna try different ideas when i reinforce them such as putting some hard rubber in there somewhere then sealing it all up with the urethane. Anyways, i am disappointed with the motor mounts nissan gave the 240, could have been much better. Hope this helps everyone, since i feel i am the king of crappy motors :D

-John

mrmurphz
05-14-2003, 09:19 AM
Hey Jon. What were the symptoms of the mounts when you decided to check them? Was your car shaking a lot at low rpms?

-Chris

CrazyS13
05-14-2003, 01:30 PM
Wheel hop when lacking traction. Did subframe spacers and it is still there, the shifter shakes a lot when this happens and you can feel the motor moving. Any kinda of larger bump in the road makes the motor shake which you can feel AFTER going over the bump as the motor shakes and then settles. Another big one is the crispness of movement when engaging the clutch and disengaging. When i got in Ace's car i could tell right away that his mounts were MUCH stiffer then mine just by the way the car started moving, so much more crisp and what have you.

-John
Edit: Also i have the SOHC which i have the nismo cam in (pretty aggressive, rough idle) and the motor shakes rediculously.

syco3d
05-14-2003, 08:48 PM
just because the engine is shaking at idle doesn't mean motor mounts for sure. It could very easily just need timed/tuned. If your basic igintion parts are original (distribitur cap, rotor, wires, plugs) ...then I would suggest changing those. The cap,rotor,and plugs can be had for under $30 total. Prolly need done anyways. Also have some1 who knows how to use a timing light get under the hood and make sure your timing is correct. My olds was shaking at idle and it just need a tune-up :D