PDA

View Full Version : Should i take of the airbox ?

jdm213
09-25-2009, 03:06 PM
im wondering if I should take it off im not planning to get a short ram intake or a cold air one but my question is, is the air box restricting a little horsepower or not? And if i do get a cold air intake which one do i get? I have an s13 with a s14 engine so for what year do i get the intake from?:2f2f:

imnotmatt1189
09-25-2009, 04:08 PM
i don't think the airbox is restricting any horsepower.... if it is, very very little.

and i would suggest searching if you're looking for info on intakes.

JEDIs13
09-25-2009, 04:16 PM
im wondering if I should take it off im not planning to get a short ram intake or a cold air one but my question is, is the air box restricting a little horsepower or not? And if i do get a cold air intake which one do i get? I have an s13 with a s14 engine so for what year do i get the intake from?:2f2f:
:facepalm:
well lets see.. last time i checked an intake is an engine mod. so get one that works with whatever ENGINE you have in your car be it a s14 ka or sr

Bigsyke
09-25-2009, 05:46 PM
Im actually giving away my AEM intake in exchange for the OEM airbox. I have come to the conclusion that my intake is has lost me power in all rpm levels due to the fact im sucking in extremely hot engine bay air. The plastic part insulates the heat, so even when your cruising and the bay temps are only a few degrees above ambient, the intake pipe still retains the heatsoak. The filter also points almost to the exhaust manifold.

im sure about 40% of all cars WILL lose power with a short ram. OEM airbox has almost no restriction because its still all negative pressure. The OEM 91-96 MAF restricts.

And just like with the ITR, you lose power when the airbox is drilled, or the resonator ducts are removed. Most OE boxes are tuned to use negative pressure to reduce airbox restriction.

singlecamslam
09-25-2009, 05:53 PM
Do it, it will give you 500 horsepower ATLEAST.

fromxtor
09-25-2009, 06:03 PM
I'm using the oem airbox on my car, with a drop in filter though.

S14DB
09-25-2009, 06:47 PM
Im actually giving away my AEM intake in exchange for the OEM airbox. I have come to the conclusion that my intake is has lost me power in all rpm levels due to the fact im sucking in extremely hot engine bay air. The plastic part insulates the heat, so even when your cruising and the bay temps are only a few degrees above ambient, the intake pipe still retains the heatsoak. The filter also points almost to the exhaust manifold.

im sure about 40% of all cars WILL lose power with a short ram. OEM airbox has almost no restriction because its still all negative pressure. The OEM 91-96 MAF restricts.

And just like with the ITR, you lose power when the airbox is drilled, or the resonator ducts are removed. Most OE boxes are tuned to use negative pressure to reduce airbox restriction.
The ass dyno don't lie... :ddog:
Thanks for the scientific study...

To the OP. if you don't want to run an intake take the resonator box out of the bumper and leave the rest.

Bigsyke
09-25-2009, 07:42 PM
What about all the other cars that have been dyno'd and lost power throughout the rpm rang with an SRI, while only gaining some in the upper levels - yet they still lost power.

Im pretty sure heatsoak doesnt apply when you have a hood popped and a big ass fan on your engine bay.

You dont lose power with the OE airbox.

The ITR lost power when they removed or altered the resonators.

S14DB
09-25-2009, 09:23 PM
Applications that loose power are due to maf inserts not being properly sized. This is not an issue with the 240SX.