PDA

View Full Version : wut suspension?

TheSparo
05-05-2003, 04:51 PM
ok, i searched but didn't know exactly wut 2 look for, so ok, i will be puting in an sr this summer in an 89 240sx, and i will do some autocrossing... not sure how much i will get into it but dunno, wut kinda suspension would u reccomend for a daily and some road racing? ground control's and kyb agx's, and would tein HE's be too much? wut about the flex? gime u'r opinion, im not limiting myself to these brands so if u haven another idea lemme know thanx!!
-Jeff

Dousan_PG
05-05-2003, 04:55 PM
wut up dawg
i tink dat da HEs might b more den wat u want
go wit da shock/spring combo

werd.

mrmephistopheles
05-05-2003, 05:33 PM
*falls off chair laughing*

Chernobyl
05-05-2003, 05:41 PM
Do you want to win some of those auto-xs? That SR you're putting in will put you in some highly modified class where you'll run against purpose built cars. If you want to win, you better get some serious coilovers.

Still, I say go with a spring/shocks combo (rsr hard springs, try them out, maybe with AGXs) if you just want to have some fun.

TheSparo
05-05-2003, 07:41 PM
kinda forgot about that fact about running against modded cars... well are'nt the He's pretty decent coilovers? my plan was to start getting into it after i have the swap done, should i try and get to a few races b4? since i have never raced b4:rolleyes: :( i would appreciate the help!
-jeff

89s132b
05-05-2003, 08:59 PM
Tein has a new coilover comming out call "basic" I think? It will have MSRP of about $750. I think it might be what you (and I ) are looking for. I am sure we will hear more about it in the near future.

As of now though, I am thinking eibach sportlines and AGX.

planb
05-05-2003, 10:37 PM
you should get... bandwagon coilovers, i heard those are the best.

theronin
05-06-2003, 03:27 AM
Originally posted by planb
you should get... bandwagon coilovers, i heard those are the best.

I got those... they are awesome! Be sure to get the special perches those go on too... or else you will blow a hydrageneuter valve!

Kookaburraz
05-06-2003, 03:28 AM
you should get... bandwagon coilovers, i heard those are the best. Where can I get those? Super Street doesn't have any ads for them.:confused:

andrave
05-06-2003, 05:09 AM
check ebay, they come up all the time. try searching for "mad tite JDM NOT honda"

240Stilo
05-06-2003, 05:49 AM
Well Sparo, if you didn't notice why you're getting these responses it's your grammar....work on it. Other than that, everyone else has it covered, SR will make you go with the big dogs and you're not ready without a serious suspension setup. Give your car a chance in stock form so you can learn how to drive before you jump into the world of vroom crash oops.

Yoshi
05-06-2003, 10:35 AM
damn guys, lighten up...
there have been WAY worse people Tiz-alkin' MaD cRazI Lik3 dIs y0!
Unless the post was edited (which I don't see a notation of), the only non-normal word he used was "wut" a lot, and "u'r" both of which are used a lot on the net just cuz they're shorter than typing the full word, even if it's only 1 letter, shorter is shorter.

U guys gonna flame me for saying "cuz" instead of "because"?

Jesus guys, I know it's fun to flame people but this seems pretty unwarranted.

240Stilo
05-06-2003, 03:57 PM
http://pic6.picturetrail.com/VOL169/1056474/1979825/24824954.jpg :p

Yoshi
05-06-2003, 05:17 PM
Bwaaahahahhaha!
OMG dude! Great, now people outside my office are staring at me laughing like an idiot! hahaaha!

Did u make that? OMFG, that's funny as hell!

TheSparo
05-06-2003, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by 240Stilo
Well Sparo, if you didn't notice why you're getting these responses it's your grammar....work on it. Other than that, everyone else has it covered, SR will make you go with the big dogs and you're not ready without a serious suspension setup. Give your car a chance in stock form so you can learn how to drive before you jump into the world of vroom crash oops.

Well hmmmmm, what type of combonation would you think could work out well for a beginner? I was wanting to try and stay around the $1000 price range, which is why i was considering the Tein HE coilover, i would have thought this was a pretty highly regarded setup...? I'm just looking for some ideas.:D

is that better for you all?:cool: ;)

240Stilo
05-06-2003, 08:52 PM
Yoshi - Yeah I made it on my own. Photoshop rules!;)

TheSparo - Grammar just shows a little more respect for everyone else in my opinion. Back to the question, KYB AGX's and KONI Yellows are the pretty popular struts I've seen on Zilvia the reason being that they're adjustable and are reliable enough. As for springs, there are many different kinds. I've seen people go with the Eibach prokits and later on they want to switch to a stiffer spring. You might not want to go stiffer than prokits if you mostly do everyday driving. If you want to have a lower drop, the Eibach sportlines will do well with the same stiffness as the prokits I believe. Yeah I know I've just mentioned Eibachs but there are still more options you just have to research. Look for Tein's springs, Whiteline springs, and for stiffer springs RSR is coming out with their new product if it isn't already out.

TheSparo
05-07-2003, 02:04 PM
ok, so what would be a good route is to start off with an intermediate setup like you mentioned? I say intermediate because I have always thought coilovers to be the best(ignorance I believe). Also I assumed that because you can adjust the ride height on coilovers that they would be much better for racing and handling (lower for racing, higher for daily). If i have been misinformed please let me know. On the setup 240Stilo posted, would ground controls with AGX or Yellow's be better? or just barely noticeable? sorry again for the ignorance and quesitons, just trying to learn the difference between coilover setup vs. regular shock/spring combo..
thanx

planb
05-07-2003, 07:55 PM
get shocks and springs, theres no need for coilovers... KYB AGX and springs. booya.

masta
05-08-2003, 11:24 PM
Well since this is kinda on the subject. I plan to learn how to [puts on flame armor +10] drift.

I had originally wanted to get the Tein Flex, only because of the EDFC. I wanted to be able to change the settings fast if I were to ride with a passenger and then change them back or on the fly while I am drifting. However I heard that the Flex system is more for street driving and the HE's are more for drifting.

Any insight?

planb
05-09-2003, 03:21 AM
dont get flex if you want to drift.

Dousan_PG
05-09-2003, 09:02 AM
dont get flex if you want to drift.

ack dont say that!
bwalker, with the greenish 240sx
uses flex. drifts GREAT

BUT he bumped his spring rates..so its not factory flex

he used the stock springs for flex, tore it UP!
driver driver driver...

DONT GET TEIN
they suck. simple as that. i know. i've ridden in MANY other car's suspensions (zeal, Cusco, Apex, JIC, etc)

tein is very disappointing. :( good for a budget and daily driver. not good when you really get serious on the track

FRpilot
05-09-2003, 12:18 PM
i was intending to go FLEX for my street setup car with occasional track time. they are great for street setup but it retails for $1500 and you might as well pay a few hundred more and get high spring rates and go with JIC FLT-A2s or some other brand for more.

but if you're lookin for a street setup and occasional track like me, you could always go eibachs and shock combo. that would rund around $700-800. or get ground controls and shock combo for a 'so called' coilover set up for around $1000. at those prices, i decided to pay a little more and go with flex coilovers. it all depends on what you do. but if you are a hardcore track racing like dousan and go to the track 4-5 a month, then go with higher spring rates and different coilovers. from what dousan says, i think flex are not made that well to take the abuse of track events if you go once a week. maybe if you go once a month, the flex will last longer. but you'll probably get addicted to the track and want to go more after your first experience.

Dousan_PG
05-09-2003, 12:24 PM
as i said, for what you want to do, shocks and springs

get more serious, go coilovers
do a lot of research though.

FLEX is great, but the more serious you get, as my friend did, you want higher rates and a stiffer valving. great/awesome for street but more track u do the less 'comfort' you might want.