PDA

View Full Version : Blown KA-T Questions

IchigoMae
05-04-2003, 10:10 PM
My turbo ka has blown from extreme overheating dunno how, i wasnt even boosting high. So now i run into debating on what to do for my engine build up. I searched and searched thu the old threads and i realized that the stock forged rods can handle 300hp. Now im wondering if my rods are still ok from all that extreme overheating. So thats my question, you guys think my rods(which are forged and have claimed to handle a lot of power)are still good after all that hell? Im not intending on going over 300 hp. unlike some people "oh i dont wanna spend so much but i wanna run 10s etc etc...). i dont wanna buy aftermarket rods. $600+?!! im not even planning on hitting the strip. i just wanna have good power. i still plan on running turbo tho. thanks

240Stilo
05-04-2003, 11:18 PM
The popular pattern I've seen is that the 4th piston rod is the one that gets messed up don't know why though:p . Sorry about what happened, but you're best bet in figuring that one out is probably by taking it apart and finding out yourself.

PAnut240
05-05-2003, 08:11 AM
if I were you the first thing I would check is to see if there is water in the oil, IE.. white ish color oil. Really it shouldn't be any Rod damage, I definately wouldn't use the Pistons again. Just make sure to get at least new bearings for the rods. That is one thing that never hurts to replace while doing a bottom end. Good luck man, I know how much it sucks blowing an engine.
Jim

uiuc240
05-05-2003, 09:00 AM
new KA = cheap

don't bother rebuilding if you want to keep things CHEAP. just get another KA and plop it in.

personally, i'd do it right and build the motor. Do this:

stock rods shot-peened (at the very least...or get forged rods...stock is CAST, the crank is FORGED)
get some Arias or JE or Wiseco pistons
some Clevite 77 or fresh OEM rod bearings
all new seals/gaskets
take the block in to be honed/checked/decked
cams/valve springs (if you've got the cash)
get fuel injectors flow matched if you haven't already
new oil pump
new water pump
new Koyo radiator
new Flex-A-Lite #220 dual 12" fans
new plugs

i'd imagine you could do all this for under $2k and then you'd have a fresh, very nice, basically bulletproof motor.

while it's out, put a new flywheel/clutch on if yours isn't good, and then pop it back in.

but once again, if this is on the CHEAP, just get another KA. screw all the extra work.

Eric