PDA

View Full Version : weird ka timing question/problem (already searched)

msanchez
09-19-2009, 02:16 AM
I have a problem. I just bought an s14 (ka) with some timing issues for dirt cheap. The problem is this. I set the motor to tdc, line up the dizzy and adjust as needed to get it started. It will run as long as i dont turn it off. If the car is shut off after driving, it just cranks and wont start.
Ive already tried replacing the dizzy with a known working one. No luck.

It runs, i shut it off, set it to tdc again, open the distributor and the rotor is no longer facing the first cylinder on the cap like it should be (like i set it)

So what can be the problem. Some friends said maybe knock sensor? Could this be it? could the ecu be effing up? Cam gears?

any help is greatly appreciated. thank you

yukon
09-20-2009, 02:01 PM
I have a problem. I just bought an s14 (ka) with some timing issues for dirt cheap. The problem is this. I set the motor to tdc, line up the dizzy and adjust as needed to get it started. It will run as long as i dont turn it off. If the car is shut off after driving, it just cranks and wont start.
Ive already tried replacing the dizzy with a known working one. No luck.

It runs, i shut it off, set it to tdc again, open the distributor and the rotor is no longer facing the first cylinder on the cap like it should be (like i set it)

So what can be the problem. Some friends said maybe knock sensor? Could this be it? could the ecu be effing up? Cam gears?

any help is greatly appreciated. thank you

there are two top dead centers. if you know that, maybe the crank pulley is slipping?