PDA

View Full Version : Question about Changing Tranny fluid...

SilviaSR20DET
05-03-2003, 04:31 PM
My shifting doesnt feel smooth lately, especially going from 1st gear to second. I can feel something thump sometimes shifting to second. Does changing the tranny fluid fix that problem? Would it make the shifting smoother and engage cleaner? How do you change the tranny fluid and what kind of fluid do you use? Any help will be great. Thanks

thelinja
05-03-2003, 08:31 PM
Changing fluid MIGHT make a difference. It did in my case. My tranny was acting how yours is. To change the oil, remove the fill plug first (just in case it won't come off after you drain it). The fill plug is located on the driver's side of the tranny by the catalytic convertor. You''ll need a 1/2" drive socket for the plug. After you get the fill plug off, open the drain plug (bottom of the transmission, not too hard to find) drain the old oil for at least 15 min. Then screw the plug back in. (also 1/2" ds) Before you change the oil, I'd acquire some 1/4"-1/4" plastic tubing to make a bong for the transmission. To fill it, pop the hood, and run the tubing down along the exhaust side of the engine. Have someone under the car to guide the tubing into the fill hole, then using a funnel, pour the oil (75w-90) into the tubing. Fill the trans. until you can feel the fluid with your finger in the fill hole. It should be between 2.0-2.5qt. (at least that's what mine took)

SilviaSR20DET
05-04-2003, 01:09 AM
Thanks for the help man, I really hope this works out well.

twitchy
05-04-2003, 02:02 AM
I had mine changed last month and the rear diff fluid too while I was at it. Mine still clunks a bit not nearly as bad though. It was actually a bit worse of a feel initially, since the mechanic told me that the oil gets old and thickens up with bits of metal in it, and when you change that the oil is thinner and kind of gets worked in. But now it feels great, and Im glad its done. Actually, I calculated a slight gain in mileage too.