PDA

View Full Version : Flywheel to crank bolt threads fcked

VNG704
09-18-2009, 07:34 AM
S13 SR...to be torqed at 101 ft lbs. So I bolted it in incremints but at like 60ft lbs it went soft. I used Permatex's Threadlock Red on it so I figured it'll be okay at ~60 ft lbs. The more I think about it the more paranoid I get about it backing out. I did this yesterday and already have the clutch and transmission on (by myself I should add, a PITA). At the time I thought it should be fine with the threadlock and being torqued some. Should I disassemble it all to rethread that hole, and/or maybe use a new bolt or would the threadlock be able to hold it in? TIA.

I did a search and found similiar flywheel bolt problems but not exact.

projectRDM
09-18-2009, 08:52 AM
It's just one hole that is damaged?

Pull the bolt and rethread it. The flywheel probably wouldn't be affected, but missing a bolt is a slight imbalance, and if the bolt decides to come out you could do serious clutch damage. If it's a few more than one consider pulling the crank and repairing or replacing it.

VNG704
09-18-2009, 11:14 AM
It's just one hole that is damaged?

Pull the bolt and rethread it. The flywheel probably wouldn't be affected, but missing a bolt is a slight imbalance, and if the bolt decides to come out you could do serious clutch damage. If it's a few more than one consider pulling the crank and repairing or replacing it.
I'm sorry, I guess I wasn't clear but the bolt is still threaded in so imbalances is not an issue. But I guess if it backed out then an imbalance wouldn't be a main concern. Basically, I would like to know if the threadlocker would hold it there. I think being that it takes heating with a torch to help break red threadlocker then I'd be good to go with leaving the bolt in as is. I know, better safe then sorry but if the threadlocker is enough then it is not an issue. It's just a pain to disassemble and reassemble. I'm pretty much on a borderline of putting the motor/trans back in the car. It's been months since I drove the car and missing it. (flame suit on!)

S14_Kouki
09-18-2009, 11:38 AM
Take out the bolt and tap the hole you DO NOT want it coming out be safe and do it right.