PDA

View Full Version : Help with custom exhaust

cyguy
05-02-2003, 06:33 PM
I want get a custom exhaust made for my car because I don't have the money to get a true cat-back. But anyways, what size piping would you guys recommend getting? I've heard to get 2.25" or 2.5". What's the difference? Please help, I just want to get the best for my money. thanks.

logo20
05-02-2003, 08:58 PM
if you read all the old threads about custom exhaust you'll find out that buying a cat-back system is the best you can get for your money unless you can find a shop that does MANDREL bend which would be very difficult to find. If you buy a cheap muffler and larger pipe with crush bends it would be a total waste of money. First the sound is gonna be horrible, and sencondly you might even lose performance.

Strider
05-02-2003, 10:33 PM
yah, most shops do Mandrel bends, its juss a lil' bit more. I went with a 2.5 with header and intake on my old 240 and it felt great. But then again i can't compare it to a 2.25. i felt the loss of low end but my top end gained quite a bit

twitchy
05-03-2003, 02:03 AM
Originally posted by Strider
yah, most shops do Mandrel bends, its juss a lil' bit more. I went with a 2.5 with header and intake on my old 240 and it felt great. But then again i can't compare it to a 2.25. i felt the loss of low end but my top end gained quite a bit

agreed
I went a half inch bigger than stock, mandrel bent, cheap. Cut the cat off too. Huge high end gain, little off the bottom, and leave your car on, it only sounds ****ty and sucks the fuel if you remove it.

the head
05-03-2003, 02:07 AM
i assume you mean cat
there are times that both of those statements are untrue twitchy don't make statements that broad it disinforms the community

nas240man
05-03-2003, 07:56 AM
what size piping would you guys recommend getting? I've heard to get 2.25" or 2.5"

I bent up a 2.5" for my car and have regretted it ever since, much louder then i thought it was going to be... so i say go 2.25" but thats just my $.02..

as for the mandrel bends, yea just call around and ask..and dont let them rip you off, shouldn't cost more than like 100-150 bucks total(bending pipe and installing it & muffler on the car)

twitchy
05-03-2003, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by the head
i assume you mean cat
there are times that both of those statements are untrue twitchy don't make statements that broad it disinforms the community

I did mean cat, sorry

let me be more precice then

On my 1993 240SX SE with STOCK exhaust system, I discovered that replacing the exhaust system from the downpipes (where they merge from 2 to 1) to the stock muffler and removing the catalytic converter and resonator added more PULL at the higher rpms than before (ie over about 5000) albeit seeming a tad more sluggish off the line. As well, I later reinstalled the cat since I couldnt take the nasty soundeffects without it any longer. When I put it back on, the differences were an increase in fuel mileage (close to stock again) as well as a reduction in the tinny rattly sound. The performance gains stayed the same, basically

hope you are all un-misinformed

logo20
05-03-2003, 01:46 PM
You can get a custom cat-back just the way you want.
It's not like there are no muffler shops in the U.S. that can make up a good exhaust and you HAVE to buy a pre-made one from Japan- that is stupid, and just reflects the biased opinions/lack of experience/knowledge in the young 240 community.
(hint- find where domestic V8 guys go for exhaust around you)
I think you misunderstood me. I said UNLESS he finds a shop that does mandrel bends, it is alot better to buy a catback. I didn't say he "has" to buy a catback system, and IT IS NOT STUPID to buy a catback system from Japan over a custom exhaust that would save you $100-150, since a true system guarantee better sound and performance.

cyguy
05-03-2003, 03:42 PM
thanks for all the help and suggestions. I think I'll call around and find the best deal I can get for MANDREL bending, but I'll still keep in mind a cat-bat (if I can get some money saved up for one).

twitchy
05-04-2003, 01:46 AM
i forgot last night, if you do decide on a cat back system, avoid pacesetter (assuming they make one for your car)

my dad put one on his civic and it is rotten to hell with rust already (only a year old) and it bangs when you hit bumps and took 3 tries and some melting/bending/damage before it fit properly which it still doesnt.

Improvement in sound and power though.