PDA

View Full Version : S13 Door hinge bushing/pin replacement

clark
09-14-2009, 02:33 PM
hey kids,
before I put my order in, i wanna make sure I've got everything I need.

I have an S13 coupe with saggy doors. Further inspection revealed that the door hinge bushings are shot. I figured while I'm at it, I'll just get new pins and retaining clips. I believe this is everything I'll need:

8 x [80400E] BUSH-FRONT DOOR HINGE
4 x [80410A] PIN-SPRING
4 x [0092250610] SNAP RING

I'm almost positive this is all I'll need, but confirmation from any Nissan techs or anyone with personal experience will be very helpful.

I've included this picture to show you what i plan on ordering. i've put a red square around everything i've mentioned above:
http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa231/unicoladron/courtesy_door_order.jpg

g6civcx
09-14-2009, 02:42 PM
Further inspection revealed that the door hinge bushings are shot.

How do you know the bushings are making the doors sag?

clark
09-14-2009, 02:55 PM
because there is an obscene amount of play on BOTH doors.

when i close the door, it rubs the chassis, when i open it it drops. i can move it up and down.

it's like throwing a hot dog down a hallway.

g6civcx
09-14-2009, 03:14 PM
Did you take off the fenders and check where the hinges bolt to the body?

clark
09-14-2009, 04:23 PM
Did you take off the fenders and check where the hinges bolt to the body?

check the hinges where they bolt to the body??

dude...I know you know your stuff when it comes to these cars, I've read a lot of your postings but I'm pretty sure it's the bushings. what exactly are you getting at? you can just tell me.

the hinges themselves are fastened to the body very securely. i can tell they've never been touched because the original "body glue" is in tact where the hinges are.

if i move the door towards the sky and toward the ground (veritcal, up and down) the door has excessive play. I've replaced alot of bushings in my day for suspension, but not for doors, but pretty darn sure i know when a bushing needs replacement, which is why i was making sure I had everything required, thus this thread.

I'm not exactly asking "hey my door flops, what do I do". I'm confident it is the hinge bushings and I'm just asking if anyone suggests anything from personal experience or if I'm leaving anything out. I don't want to take my door off and find out I'm missing something.

g6civcx
09-14-2009, 07:11 PM
I'm almost positive this is all I'll need, but confirmation from any Nissan techs or anyone with personal experience will be very helpful.

Your question is very broad so I gave you a very broad answer.

In my personal experience dealing with dozens or so S13s in various conditions, I have never seen the door bushing go bad.

It could be the bushing though, but in my experience there are a bunch of things you can easily check before concluding that it's the bushing.

Take off the fender and look at where the door hinges bolt into the side of the frame. Just because the glue is intanct doesn't mean it's all good. You need to check the torque (40 ft-lbs) on the bolts. You also need to check that the frame is completely rusted behind there.

It could be something as simple as retorquing the bolts and you're done.

If you have rust, then you need to unbolt the hinges and fix all the rust. You should weld in new panels and tap new threads.

After you're certain that all those are checked, then you need to check the door itself. The door may be rusted to hell.

If these things are wrong, the little bushing won't help you at all.

You can tell very easily by looking at the door hinge while you lift the door up and down. If the hinge moves with the door, the frame and/or the bolts are messed up.

If the hinge is rock solid and the door rides the hinge, then you can start looking at how the door is mounted to the hinge.

Good luck.

clark
09-14-2009, 08:08 PM
Your question is very broad so I gave you a very broad answer.

In my personal experience dealing with dozens or so S13s in various conditions, I have never seen the door bushing go bad.

It could be the bushing though, but in my experience there are a bunch of things you can easily check before concluding that it's the bushing.

Take off the fender and look at where the door hinges bolt into the side of the frame. Just because the glue is intanct doesn't mean it's all good. You need to check the torque (40 ft-lbs) on the bolts. You also need to check that the frame is completely rusted behind there.

It could be something as simple as retorquing the bolts and you're done.

If you have rust, then you need to unbolt the hinges and fix all the rust. You should weld in new panels and tap new threads.

After you're certain that all those are checked, then you need to check the door itself. The door may be rusted to hell.

If these things are wrong, the little bushing won't help you at all.

You can tell very easily by looking at the door hinge while you lift the door up and down. If the hinge moves with the door, the frame and/or the bolts are messed up.

If the hinge is rock solid and the door rides the hinge, then you can start looking at how the door is mounted to the hinge.

Good luck.

no rust at all.

bolts don't need to be torqued. i can visually see when i move the door upward and downward that the hinge attached to the door moves directly with the door. the hinges are not loose at the bolts.

if i move the door up and down like that, the hinge that is connected to the chassis does not budge either.. the play is between the two hinges. that's why i'm still pretty sure the bushings are bad. and perhaps the pin itself could be worn.

but I'm going to inspect it a little bit more though,you do bring up a good point. perhaps the hinges are damaged to a point where new pins/bushings will not help.

I have grease gooped in there so i'll clean all of it out so i can have a much better look.

red240
09-15-2009, 04:43 PM
I changed my pin and bushings and it made a big difference, just check that all the hinges and mounting points are sound
If so get the pins and bushings and go for it not really a big deal

Black240Ct
05-04-2012, 07:01 PM
where did you find the part numbers.. or that whole image.. i need to do this for my s14

brndck
05-04-2012, 07:56 PM
holy fucking ancient thread batman!!!
excellent job digging through graveyards dude.