PDA

View Full Version : SR20DET Squeal coming from head

landins13
09-14-2009, 12:13 AM
Ok so ive put about 1k miles on my bult sr, the motor was built and assembled by a reputable shop im naming names because i dont want to accidentally down talk them.

I have a loud squealing coming from somewhere in the head, as well as an almost grinding quaking sound coming from the exhaust side cam. after taking off my valve cover, i noticed that all of the cam lobes and rockers look brand new except for on cylinder 1, on that cylinder the rockers are grity and covered in crap,

my key issue, the cam lobes on this cylinder are worn down out of nowhere, the center of the cam is shiny and smooth but at the edgesthere is a lip on the lobe where it feels as though the center of the lobe had worn down from hitting the rocker.

i dont know what the squaelling is and i dont want to drive the car while its making the sound, nor do i want to drive it with the cam lobes wearing.

any help or suggestions are appreciated, im going to call the shop that built the motor in the morning

landins13
09-14-2009, 03:10 PM
bump bump bump

fliprayzin240sx
09-15-2009, 05:35 AM
My stab at it is either low oil pressure or the oil dripper is clogged. Bring it to them, have them check it out...hope its not low oil pressure. If its just clogged, they should have cleaned it up or atleast checked to make sure its not clogged. Also, if you have an aftermarket cam, somebody owes you a new one.

landins13
10-11-2009, 04:36 PM
i replaced my cams and rockers and reshimmed the head, ive got a video of the sound, i believe ive narrowed it down to the something in the bell housing, either the trhow out bearing or possibly the pilot bearing or something of the sorts

here is the video
http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll192/landins13/s13/th_enginesqueel.jpg (http://s288.photobucket.com/albums/ll192/landins13/s13/?action=view&current=enginesqueel.flv)

jspaeth
10-11-2009, 05:08 PM
So the "squeal coming from the head" was coming from the tranny?

landins13
10-11-2009, 11:32 PM
there were 2 noises at first one was the sound of the cam getting worn down and that was coming from the head, the sqweal sounded like it was coming more from the back of the head and a little lower, i got an automotive stethiscope and after having fixed the issue with the cams i was able to localize the sound to the bell housing

rebornS14
10-12-2009, 11:02 PM
sounds crazy. is that a s14 with abs? i dont know what your problem is. just watched the video and noticed abs.

fliprayzin240sx
10-13-2009, 07:12 AM
sounds crazy. is that a s14 with abs? i dont know what your problem is. just watched the video and noticed abs.

ABS was an option for S14s...:tweak: