PDA

View Full Version : heating up springs??

rps13kid
05-01-2003, 02:44 PM
iwas thinking about heating up my springs on my car so i can drop it for the time being untill i get my springs in a month what do you think about it and how does it ride and how do you do it

Dousan_PG
05-01-2003, 02:46 PM
shouldnt
leave it
if its only one month, its not a big deal.
leave them as they are, when you get your new ones, sell your old setup. people do buy stock suspension.

rps13kid
05-01-2003, 02:49 PM
yea but i am bored today and i have a torch and i just wanna do it for the hell of it .... i have 3 sets of stock springs that i need to sell too.... :D

Dousan_PG
05-01-2003, 02:50 PM
cut it
i know a guy who did it. took about 5 sets of springs to get it JUUUST right but it does the job! :)

rps13kid
05-01-2003, 02:54 PM
yea but it rides like shi! and he guess heating up the springs dont ride so bad i dunno ........

Dousan_PG
05-01-2003, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by rps13kid
yea but it rides like shi! and he guess heating up the springs dont ride so bad i dunno ........

actually it DOESNT
my friends rides fine
nadine180 had cut springs for ages and sil80 said it felt great

depends where youc ut it
that's why it took my friend so many sets to get it PERFECT.

AceInHole
05-01-2003, 03:19 PM
from what I gather, the only time it'll ride like crap is when you over cut it so the springs won't even reach full travel, or when your entire suspension is resting on few enough coils that they bind at every bump.

Just cut a small amount at a time. I've been told cutting a half coil at a time is a decent way to do it (apparently old hot rodders have been cutting coils for a long time). when you heat up the coils, you mess with the springs integrity in a way that you can't be very accurate about it.