PDA

View Full Version : Dash crack

kandyflip445
05-01-2003, 12:26 AM
Anyone know if you can fix a crack in the dash some way other than getting a new dash??? Are there any products to do this?

SilviaNinja240
05-01-2003, 12:41 AM
yup, I suggest call the Viynal repair guy in the yellow pages, depending on how big the crack is there are a few ways to cover it up

S13Nissan240SX
05-01-2003, 02:50 PM
You can get a dash repaired, but I was never satisfied with the look of the repair job. Of course you can different quality work for different people and for different prices, but I decided to just replace the dash. Getting one from the dealership is pricey (for my S13 the dealer wanted 900 bucks) so I decided to have one pulled from a local junk yard. The swap took some work but it looks great and I love it. So I'd call around and see if you can find a parts car or a good junk yard. I know there are a few good options on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=40017&item=2413549687&rd=1

P.S. If you decide to put in a new dash, let me know, I can give you some advice.

Good luck,
Matt

The Mole
05-01-2003, 10:43 PM
that is a job i would not want to do ;)

S13Nissan240SX
05-02-2003, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by The Mole
that is a job i would not want to do ;)

It's not that bad actually. You can easily do it in a few hours (maybe less) if you know what to look for. Having done it once, I think I could switch out another one pretty quickly. I'd give it a shot. It's better then having a cracked dash. Women see that as weakness.

---Matt

SpeedSk8X
05-03-2003, 10:35 AM
I just had my dash repaired actually. I was removing the dash to find a rattle (some may remember the rattle post heh) and in doing so I had to remove the front defroster vent with a screwdriver, which stupid me didnt bother to protect the dash and I put about a 2" crack in the dash just at the bast of the cluster hump on the dash. Pay'd $40 to have my dash fixed, and am happy with the outcome. The color is perfect and the only way you could tell there was a repair is to stair at the spot and try to find there the grain slightly changes... But you cant tell with the dash in because its so far up you cant see it inside the car and through the windshield its completely indetectable.

Anyways my point is:

Its east to remove the dash, scary and tedious to think about
but really simple once you do it honestly.. I can have my entire dash out in 20 minutes.

And you *can* get a really good repair job, just depends on the person doing it. I had my local nissan dealer refer me to who they
did buisness with..Precesion Vynal in Columbus Georgia...They did a kick ass job.

But before you go to a vyanl repair shop clean your dash with mild soap and water.. Armourall is BAD and your dash needs to
free of it for them to repair it.. Also you can not use armourall on it ever again or the patch will lift off. (theyll tell you this and it will void the warrenty)

kandyflip445
05-03-2003, 11:47 AM
So what are you supposed to use on your dash to make it all bling-bling??:D

syco3d
05-03-2003, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by kandyflip445
So what are you supposed to use on your dash to make it all bling-bling??:D

meguires maybe???

Me heard too many horror stories on armor all. Me thinks that me should no use it no more.

EDIT: Hookd on fonics werked fur me!

andrave
05-03-2003, 03:34 PM
well, you could just revinyl the whole dash, if you are good with vinyl and a heat gun thats not too bad.

Phantom
05-03-2003, 05:23 PM
Well if you personally want to fix your dash, here's what you do:

1. Keep your car out of the sun for quite some time like maby 3-4 days if possible or at least minimise sun exposure.

2. Place a small amount of super glue like on a toothpick and be very careful not to get it on the vinyl. Otherwise use a small amount of apoxy that stretches. once dry use some filler to smooth it out.

3. See if you can find touch up paint or use a small piece of vinyl to glue on the top.

4. If you are going to glue vinyl on go ahead and sand carefully the filled area so the vinyl fits perfectly and once glued in place paint around the edges. This is an easy and cheap fix so not much to worry about. The apoxy will allow it to expland and contract so nothing to worry about there.

Good luck.

If you have any other questions e-mail me at [email protected]