PDA

View Full Version : Anyone on here using an Ebay flywheel?

Matej
09-10-2009, 02:53 AM
My plan was to buy a Fidanza flywheel, however, then I saw the thread where the owner's Fidanza flywheel came apart and caused carnage. Although I know the chance of that happening would be very unlikely, now I am too paranoid about aluminum/two-piece flywheels.

I started looking for one-piece chromoly steel/iron/not aluminum lightweight flywheels for a KA, and the only place I found them was on Ebay.

Here are the ones I am considering, and I was curious if anyone has any input to help me decide.

1. XTD flywheel
Looks alright. Currently my most likely choice.
http://usera.imagecave.com/aimcoclutch/RACING2/240sx_flywheel.jpg

2. No brand listed
Sold by a place called OC Clutch. Looks decent.
http://i11.ebayimg.com/05/i/001/22/90/8bca_1_b.JPG

3. F1 flywheel
I know a few people who are using this flywheel and love it, but the holes around the center are totally creeping me out. They seem to be very close together, creating a weak point. Too scared to buy this one.
http://gripforce.com/images/ebay/clutches/51122FX.jpg

Any input is welcome, but please keep the typical Ebay vs. brand name debate out of this thread, we have all heard it plenty of times before.
Also, any other suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

Tantwoforty
09-10-2009, 03:19 AM
i would be more scared of a ebay flywheel then a Fidanza... that guy was putting down ALOT of power.. and they have been around for years and thats the first i have ever really heard about it. and i have known and heard of 1000's of people useing Fidanza's with no problum. but in the end.. its up to you.

azndoc
09-10-2009, 03:37 AM
Wait I thought the guys with the flywheel blowing apart was due to his own fault?

Anyways I would trust Fidanza over any ebay shit.

especially ones with wannabe ass Chinese slang bullshit as their logo.

Lame asses.

charlie321
09-10-2009, 04:07 AM
hi unclleee, i beg to differ. This is the F1Racing 11.5lbs chromally flywheel.

Here's the thing, that first picture of the flywheel, is a very outdated picture. The F1 one in the 3rd picture, is the one XTD sells right now. You will get that F1Racing one from XTD.

I have the xtd Stage 4 clutch kit with this flywheel. I love it. I was planning on getting a fidanza, but seller flaked out, so i bought one of these 100-150 bucks on a flywheel, i couldn't complain.

Feels great, been beating the shit out of my car haha. I'd totally recommend it.
A couple of my friends have them, and we all track our cars.

DMiller
09-10-2009, 04:10 AM
Competition Clutch Lightweight Steel Flywheel (http://www.corsportusa.com/store/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=93_99&products_id=5975) > chinese/ebay crap

At least you know its actually held to some form of quality control considering it is SFI approved.

charlie321
09-10-2009, 04:16 AM
Competition Clutch Lightweight Steel Flywheel (http://www.corsportusa.com/store/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=93_99&products_id=5975)> chinese/ebay crap

At least you know its actually held to some form of quality control considering it is SFI approved.

But for the price of F1, you can't really complain.

Matej
09-10-2009, 04:44 AM
Competition Clutch Lightweight Steel Flywheel (http://www.corsportusa.com/store/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=93_99&products_id=5975)
Never seen that one, looks pretty good.

Wish I could find pictures of the actual KA application though.
I would not want it to look like this. Thin flywheel spokes look scary.
http://www.competitionclutch.com/images/art_33.jpg

Also, I know it should be the same, but kind of weird how everywhere it is listed only for an SOHC KA.

Matej
09-10-2009, 04:54 AM
Just came across these JGY flywheels.

14lbs.
http://www.jgycustoms.com/240sx/images/kka13.5.jpg

12lbs.
http://www.jgycustoms.com/ka24det/images/JGY-KAlightweightflywheel.jpg

Is JGY a reputable brand?

gsxr141
09-10-2009, 05:31 AM
i have the xtd one a nd have had no problems. i got their 6 puck sprung clutch at the same time. everything seems fine after 1500 miles.

ZX88
09-10-2009, 06:17 AM
i know a few people with the f1 flywheel. ni problems a few had them for over a year.

Slip&Sliden 240
09-10-2009, 08:10 AM
Im using the xtd flywheel on my sr, with a exedy 3puck sprung clutch. No issues yet.

projectRDM
09-10-2009, 09:49 AM
I wish you guys would realize one thing about products on Ebay, and this is coming from someone who completely hates Ebay and everything it stands for. There are no 'Ebay' products. The products you find and buy on Ebay are made by a million other suppliers, just as you can find high quality parts like HKS on there, you can find lower quality stuff too, but it's not all trash just because it's sold on Ebay. There's a lot of options to buy good stuff for less if you shop around.

That said, do your own research. What you find on Ebay is sold through other channels, look up the XTD, F1, etc. and decide for yourself based on the manufacturer's website, their pricing, applications, etc. No one had ever heard of Mueller 15yrs ago, but they were the supplier of Stillen's line of flywheels until Aasco bought them out, so they're an awesome brand and manufacturer.

As for opting against the Fidanza because one guy tore his apart due to hanky installation, that's stupid. I've installed over a dozen of them on numerous applications and never had any issues, they're a very good product for the money and have reputable service and quality control. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one for my own car if I didn't already have a Stillen one.

gsxr141
09-10-2009, 06:20 PM
well said.

sw20>>s14
12-04-2009, 06:16 PM
sorry for bumping the thread, but i want to get some more feedback...i have decided to go XTD/F1...no opinions on choice or brand war comments are needed, however, some opinions on the XTD/F1 would be appreciated...from what i can gather from this thread and other members, ALL current XTD/F1 flywheels should look like this (this is not a fact to me, but also would be nice if verified):

http://gripforce.com/images/ebay/clutches/51122FX.jpg

however, i have a pending deal with someone that has the "older" model that looks like this:

http://usera.imagecave.com/aimcoclutch/RACING2/240sx_flywheel.jpg

my question is whether or not anyone knows of any difference between the two...besides the visual appearances and speculation on structural integrity based on images, does anyone know which model is "better?" i just dont want to buy the "older" model (second one pictured) if the latest one has significant improvements...

and as it seems, this is one of the "companies"/manufacturers that dont start out well, but start churning more quality products that eventually meet standards and expectations (im assuming)...dont want to end up with the older one to save money (roughly 75 bucks), but if theyre virtually the same, why the hell not, right?

warauto
12-07-2009, 10:00 PM
Their is a 15 lbs prolight flywheel from F1 racing. It has no holes, which in my book is one less thing you have to worry about. Holes can be considered a good thing or a bad thing. It can cause the material to breath and repell heat or it can act as a weak point for catastrophic failure. Check it out, I am getting one and i am going to mate it with my act clutch and pressure plate. You don't want your flywheel to light either, the ones with holes are like 12-13 lbs.....15lbs is just right

awesomenick
12-07-2009, 11:30 PM
I've had my Fidanza on my KA since I got my car running forever ago, before I was even a member of this site.

It's got tons of miles on it and a few clutches, lots of clutch kicks.

I haven't had a single problem. If that makes you feel any more comfortable.

az_240
12-07-2009, 11:33 PM
Ive had the 11.5 F1 flywheel on my ka s14 for about 2 years now with no problems.

Dream240
12-08-2009, 03:07 PM
Their is a 15 lbs prolight flywheel from F1 racing. It has no holes, which in my book is one less thing you have to worry about. Holes can be considered a good thing or a bad thing. It can cause the material to breath and repell heat or it can act as a weak point for catastrophic failure. Check it out, I am getting one and i am going to mate it with my act clutch and pressure plate. You don't want your flywheel to light either, the ones with holes are like 12-13 lbs.....15lbs is just right

I agree with the positives/negatives for the holes of these aftermarket flywheels. But what I disagree with is that 15lb being "just right". The only difference in the lighter flywheel is a faster rev drop. And maybe some better vibration dampening on the heavier one. But that's it.

codyace
12-08-2009, 03:40 PM
Just came across these JGY flywheels.
Is JGY a reputable brand?

Goto google and type in JGY sucks or similar and just rad the horror stores. Absolutly terrible customer service and shop. They've scammed the FWD crowd for years.

warauto
12-08-2009, 03:52 PM
Faster rev drops kinda suck when your daily driving.....This means you have to physically shift faster the lighter your flywheel is the faster you have to shift. This is like driving a race car everyday. Not to mention if you have an aftermarket clutch and a pressure plate. Its torture.

sw20>>s14
12-10-2009, 04:00 PM

couldnt find this flywheel...any links?

ericcastro
12-10-2009, 04:17 PM
Faster rev drops kinda suck when your daily driving.....This means you have to physically shift faster the lighter your flywheel is the faster you have to shift. This is like driving a race car everyday. Not to mention if you have an aftermarket clutch and a pressure plate. Its torture.That depends how you drive.
I never fully lift.
Keeping your engine closer to the spinning speed of your driveline makes for a much smoother ride.
especially on downshifts.
But that also depends if your a girl and put it in nuetral when coming off the freeway or if your dad taught you to downshift ;):blah:

codyace
12-10-2009, 04:29 PM
Faster rev drops kinda suck when your daily driving.....This means you have to physically shift faster the lighter your flywheel is the faster you have to shift. This is like driving a race car everyday. Not to mention if you have an aftermarket clutch and a pressure plate. Its torture.

A light flywheel is nothing like a race car.

It's been so long since I've bene in a regular flywheel car, or even a stock gear ratio car, that if I were to go back, I'd think it would be wack.

Dream240
12-11-2009, 12:02 PM

Sounds like you need to change your setup. Getting a lightened flywheel by itself is actually pretty useless. A stock shifter can't utilize the faster revs, worn drivetrain components affect your shifting speed, and mounts.....mounts are so important. A busted tranny mount will make your driving life significantly unpleasant.

I have aluminum crank pulley, flywheel, and driveshaft. Nismo engine mounts, Exedy OEM clutch, PU diff bushings, Nismo subframe bushings, and a B&M shifter.... and my wife loves daily driving my car. She's 4'11", a buck ten, and needs to practically kiss the steering wheel, but she likes my car's setup better than her stock 5-speed 2006 sentra. Go figure.

rc1honda
12-11-2009, 12:51 PM
If your running a stock KA there absoultley no need for a steel flywheel. The guy who thread you are reffering was puttin down over 500hp and i think it was installed incorrectly to begin with.

i don't think your 120hp KA will even come close to comprimising a billet aluminum flywheel. This thread is really confusing me. Your scrared of shattering a flywheel and cutting your feet off, but then try to find a cheap knockoff replacment???... And if you really that scared get a scatter shield.

Are you even going to be tracking the car at all?

IIIXziuR
12-11-2009, 01:18 PM
I'm pretty sure his car is going to be strict "track car" KA-T, Build Motor, NOS

ayuaddict
12-11-2009, 01:20 PM
mo-tec system exhaust...

Matej
12-11-2009, 01:38 PM
Not if you swap to an automatic ECU.

I'm pretty sure his car is going to be strict "track car" KA-T, Build Motor, NOS
A strict 'tarck' car.

Got the XTD flywheel a while ago.
Whoever said it is the same as the F1 flywheel now was right. However, it looks nice in person actually, and not scary at all.
Plus I figured if F1 cars use them, then it should hold up fine with my motor.

om3ga
12-11-2009, 02:21 PM
I ran a fidanza in my KA for years, i beat the hell out of it too. It held up nicely, i just purchased a fidanza for my SR as well so well see how that holds up once i get it running.

z3nk-3
12-13-2009, 02:03 AM
I wouldn't buy the ebay brand. I bought a light weight flywheel and stage 2 clutch from ebay. My pressure broke into pieces, when i was burning out. The flywheel had some broken chips. E-clutchmasterwas the company on ebay that sold me the clutch an flywheel.

Matej
12-13-2009, 02:39 AM
The clutch/pressure plate I bought is just an OEM replacement Exedy. Hopefully I do not have to worry about that as well.

z3nk-3
12-14-2009, 01:27 AM
good luck man

Dream240
12-14-2009, 08:25 AM
Based on my experiences, there are two versions.

The ebay sellers have products that will work when used under regular conditions. Push these components too hard....and something will break prematurely. So don't be surprised if you buy a $100 clutch kit and it fails doing burnouts.

The other version is buying more expensive name brand stuff, like Exedy Racing, ACT, SPEC, Fidanza, etc. These items are going to cost you more, but you will be able to abuse them with better results.

For every 'cheap' drivetrain component I've purchased over the years, I've had to re-purchase a better brand once the cheap part started failing after only a year or so.

Bottom line, don't be surprised when you get what you pay for.

z3nk-3
12-15-2009, 11:16 PM
Very true, same experience you do get what you pay for.

gsracer
12-17-2009, 12:01 PM
i have the xtd series 1 flywheel on the v8, for about 3-4 years now, its just fine, coincidently its the only ebay purchased part on my car. Now my quality 450 dollar act clutch broke a diaphragm within 2k miles.

fckillerbee
12-17-2009, 02:55 PM
F1 racing in brea.
I bought the "stage 4" clutch, flywheel, and pressure plate. I drive a stock ka24de. I murder my car at the track (plenty of people can vouch) and I daily drive it. I think I have put well over 5,000 miles on it as well a couple amature competitions. The clutch is fine for daily (yes stiffer than stock) and works well while driving. I have not had any complaints. Also John Chow in his FC3S has his in...and he's got about 300 hp on his "stage 2" that he has had for about 2 years now. His is only a track car. No problems.

jinesz32
12-17-2009, 03:10 PM
ive had a fidanza flywheel for over a year now with no issues. lots of hard driving and it still holds up strong.

NiSilS14
12-17-2009, 03:19 PM
I have never heard of a fidanza blowing up, but I guess every village has it's idiot too. I've had mine since 2003, It's seen 2 clutches and numberous amount of R&I's. I think it goes without mentioning that I beat on it like it owes money too. The XTD flywheel is sfi approved, if that's make a difference.

Dream240
12-17-2009, 03:37 PM
The XTD flywheel is sfi approved, if that's make a difference.

so.... SFI = Standard For Idiots?

works for me.

guitaraholic
12-17-2009, 03:39 PM
Call me crazy, but I am weary about putting something that weighs +25lbs, spins at over 7000rpms, and is shaped like a saw blade less than a foot away from your legs. There are people out there that have lost their feet, or at least are hobbiling on canes because a clutch or flywheel blew up on them.

Gripmasters has an ACT flywheel for $265, that's only $100 more for piece of mind vs XTD, F1, ect, ect.

NiSilS14
12-17-2009, 03:54 PM
so.... SFI = Standard For Idiots?

works for me.

SFI Web Site (http://www.sfifoundation.com/)

:shrugs: works for me too.

Dream240
12-18-2009, 03:51 AM
SFI Web Site (http://www.sfifoundation.com/)

:shrugs: works for me too.

I was actually just joking. I didn't know it was related to SEMA until just now.

Thanks for the link!

S14DB
12-18-2009, 07:23 AM
The XTD flywheel is sfi approved, if that's make a difference.
It is???
Main (http://www.sfifoundation.com/manuf.html)
I don't see it.

NiSilS14
12-21-2009, 12:25 AM
It is???
Main (http://www.sfifoundation.com/manuf.html)
I don't see it.

after doing some research, the main manufacturer is autocom inc. Which is apparently on there.

"clutch components are supplied by the most high quality manufacturers around the world such
as Asco, Daikin (Exedy America), Luk, Sachs, Valeo, and Seco"

Interesting...

here's a website for that excerpt. http://www.autocominc.com/index.html

S14DB
12-21-2009, 02:55 AM
after doing some research, the main manufacturer is autocom inc. Which is apparently on there.

"clutch components are supplied by the most high quality manufacturers around the world such
as Asco, Daikin (Exedy America), Luk, Sachs, Valeo, and Seco"

Interesting...

here's a website for that excerpt. Home (http://www.autocominc.com/index.html)

SO, it sounds like they take stock stuff and repaint it?

XTD Clutch scam! - SupraMania (http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43713)

NiSilS14
12-21-2009, 03:02 AM
SO, it sounds like they take stock stuff and repaint it?

XTD Clutch scam! - SupraMania (http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43713)

I wouldn't doubt it. I only would buy xtd clutches to throw at people, and that'll prob get expensive. Meaning I'll never buy one.

Edit: Digging into some more, apparently XTD clutches are manfactured from seco clutches. Looks like they make oem replacement clutches. lol...

S13 curtis
12-21-2009, 04:19 AM
Its hit or miss but some generic parts are blessed.

Dream240
12-21-2009, 08:09 AM
I know we're going off topic and onto clutches so...

I bought an F1 "stage 1 racing" clutch kit when I did my first 5-speed swap a while back. I must say....piece of crap!

It rattled in the housing, started slipping after only about 3000 miles, and I did do the proper break in period. Plus I was running it on a stock KA with a Fidanza flywheel and intake, that's it!

Since then I go with Exedy parts only. I'm running an OEM Exedy clutch right now with my Fidanza, Aluminum shaft & pulley, I-H-E, and my clutch grabs quick with every shift. And what's funny is, the exedy was actually cheaper!

Bottom line is just stick to reputable companies when it comes to rotating parts, it's just easier on your wallet and your car.