PDA

View Full Version : Altima Fan Pros and cons

warauto
09-08-2009, 10:32 AM
I want to know if switching to Altima fans will reduce the parasitic drag on my engine to free up horsepower.

I am running a redtop Sr. Even guys with KA's say they free up alot of horsepower by the clutch fan delete.

Let me know

Soup Nazi
09-08-2009, 10:49 AM
I want to know if switching to Altima fans will reduce the parasitic drag on my engine to free up horsepower.

I am running a redtop Sr. Even guys with KA's say they free up alot of horsepower by the clutch fan delete.

Let me know

Clutch Fans with a shroud IMO, are better at cooling your car than an Altima fan setup. Also that "Drag" that the Clutch fans supposedly produce, is a farce. You wouldn't even notice.

chituntang
09-08-2009, 10:56 AM
Pros: No more hearing your fan vs. your engine

Cons: You have to pay for it.

Almost everybody feels a difference before/after upgrades, like putting an intake/exhaust on. I would not say it makes more horsepower, but I will say it helps on throttle response.

Oh, and I have a SR'ed S14 with Altima fan and drove a SR'ed S13 with clutch fan. They both felt the same.

projectRDM
09-08-2009, 10:57 AM
It's been proven somewhere that the gains from removing the clutch fan (like .01 HP if anything) is offset by the increased load on the alternator to drive the electric fans. People swear it's a huge power increase, much like removing the air box resonator, it's all in your mind. By 'hearing' the engine pull more air it's assumed you're making more power. You're not. Same with a clutch fan, you assume the drag has been reduced when in reality there isn't any significant drag in the first place.

karl wasabi
09-08-2009, 11:26 AM
Pros: Cleaner engine bay, less noise, turn on and off whenever you want (if hooked up to switch)

Cons: You have to buy it, you have to wire up a fan controller and temp sensor ( or just run a switch)

I ran Altima fans on my KA for over a year and loved it. Don't know if it did anything about power gains, but I liked how much cleaner it looked in the engine bay.

Bigsyke
09-08-2009, 02:43 PM
The altima fans will not run at all times however, so the draw on the alt. would be when usually your not accelerating.

The clutch fan happens to pull in air when you dont need it, unless you like to shift high. The altima fans pull in air when you most need it, stop adn go traffic or parked.

You cant have just a clutch fan without the e-fan. Personally just upgrade the radiator and thermostat and your fine without a clutch fan.

But you can certainly feel it when the fans kick in, almost as if you lost an injector

projectRDM
09-08-2009, 02:48 PM
The altima fans will not run at all times however, so the draw on the alt. would be when usually your not accelerating.

The clutch fan happens to pull in air when you dont need it, unless you like to shift high. The altima fans pull in air when you most need it, stop adn go traffic or parked.

You cant have just a clutch fan without the e-fan. Personally just upgrade the radiator and thermostat and your fine without a clutch fan.

But you can certainly feel it when the fans kick in, almost as if you lost an injector

Depends on how the fans are wired. OE, they trigger when the A/C is engaged and when the temp hits 203 degrees.

Most people though wire them to a switch to run more often than normal.

Bigsyke
09-09-2009, 12:41 AM
Depends on how the fans are wired. OE, they trigger when the A/C is engaged and when the temp hits 203 degrees.

Most people though wire them to a switch to run more often than normal.

I just cut the pigtail off the OE A/C fan and soldered it to one of the altima fans harness. Plug and play, then you run a 12v relay for fan #2, where the trigger is the 12v off the OE A/C fan relay.

After than I spliced into the ground from the cooling fan relay #1 (203) to a switch, then to ground, thus triggering the relay on demand.

Best way to do it IMO if your in a colder climate.