PDA

View Full Version : What could cause this?

R33E8
09-06-2009, 08:22 PM
I just took off my cylinder head today and saw this:

http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/4043/img9952b.jpg

http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/4558/img9947n.jpg

What could be the cause of this? I checked my intercooler piping and it's bone dry but I noticed that the insides of my intake manifold runner are pretty much black with some sort of residue (I donno if that's normal or not)..

Could this be caused by pistons rings that are gapped too large or bad valve guides?

steve shadows
09-06-2009, 08:29 PM
Is that oil? or fuel/

I am guessing you mean you removed your HEAD not cylinder

fliprayzin240sx
09-06-2009, 08:31 PM
I cant tell if its just crud or if those are chips on the exhaust valves. Looks pretty bad considering its across the board. Oil is getting into the combustion chamber, could be from headgasket or rings.

What pistons are those? I dont remember stock pistons having divots for the valve clearance...

steve shadows
09-06-2009, 08:33 PM
I cant tell if its just crud or if those are chips on the exhaust valves. Looks pretty bad considering its across the board. Oil is getting into the combustion chamber, could be from headgasket or rings.

What pistons are those? I dont remember stock pistons having divots for the valve clearance...

Same here,

Those are Stock Red Top pistons, all stock pistons are "DISHED" pistions,

You are just seeing an illusion if you think you are seeing the valve divets though

Sileighty_85
09-06-2009, 08:54 PM
Same here,

Those are Stock Red Top pistons, all stock pistons are "DISHED" pistions,

You are just seeing an illusion if you think you are seeing the valve divets though

So he put SR pistons in a KA?

It does look like divots for the valves though...

R33E8
09-06-2009, 09:00 PM
Is that oil? or fuel/

I am guessing you mean you removed your HEAD not cylinder

I think it's a mix of both but I'm not sure... It may have enter after somehow while I removed the intake manifold.. I think I sprayed some brake cleaner on the cylinder head which probably got into the cylinders before I set the pistons to TDC. It sure didn't smell like gas or oil.. It smelled terrible..

And yeah, I meant to say cylinder head :wiggle:

They are arias pistons. It's a KA.. All of that stuff in there is just crud, no chips :D.. When I was unbolting the cylinder head one of the front stud nuts was completely loose (like .25inch from being seated)...