PDA

View Full Version : KA buildup

mjjstang
04-30-2003, 09:12 AM
Hi I just aquired a ka24de (dont rag on me that I have no apreciation for the 240 and that im just a newbie and I dont deserve it and im just going to get a 240 because I have an engine for it, because that is not the reason.) Well I want to know what parts you guys would reccomend for a build up. I want to put in new pistons, rings, rods, bearings, valves, springs, cams, and crankshaft. How much boost could I have safely with a totally rebuilt engine and where is a good place to get these parts. Thanks.

AKADriver
04-30-2003, 10:26 AM
Noone makes aftermarket crankshafts for this engine. You're stuck with stock. Not a big deal, stock is steel and very strong.

For the rest of it... someone with a built turbo KA will chime in.

s13cruzer
04-30-2003, 10:33 AM
i have seen quite a few aftermarket crankshafts made for that engine , first and foremost PDM-racing has them cuz they have a special deal worked out with colt cams

AKADriver
04-30-2003, 10:35 AM
uhhhh

those are camshafts.

camshafts are not crankshafts.

turbo240sx
04-30-2003, 11:39 AM
forged rods and pistons are a good start and 8.5:1 compression. and quality machine work i cant express that enough. JE's are a good start for pistons and carillo rods. stock crank is strong enough for a turbo application. you can have gobs of TQ with a turbo KA. boost you can go to 25 psi with proper feul management. get a hold of CIPmotorsports.com he can get you the stuff you need.

Jeff240sx
05-01-2003, 11:11 AM
You could always have Crower cut you a billet forged crank for your car (destroked) along with some custom rods.
Last I heard, it was about $3000
-Jeff

kalieaire
05-01-2003, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by Jeff240sx
You could always have Crower cut you a billet forged crank for your car (destroked) along with some custom rods.
Last I heard, it was about $3000
-Jeff

cranks alone are ~2600 bux. they're normally only cut from billet. not forged.

---Asad and a few other members over at FreshAlloy are talking about just having the stock crank cut and rewelded to shorten the stroke, then to get some other rods and throw'em in there. so you can maintain compression.

crower is the really expensive option, they're one of the most well known companies, but you could probably find a cheaper alternative if you want something completely custom.

Also, They can make anything for you, but for say a ka24de, you'll also most likely have to supply them with the crank and the rods.