PDA

View Full Version : SR20DET smoking after boost, need advice

cdvr-s13
09-05-2009, 04:11 PM
I just upgraded to a GTI-R T28 and when I put on my tubular manifold I had to delete the stock catch can and currently have crank case ventilation connected through the T on the valve cover and into the turbo inlet. My HKS adjustable actuator is set to 9 psi.

During a pull the car boosts really hard and doesn't smoke while i've got the pedal mashed and doesn't smoke when i let off. as soon as i hit the throttle again however, a burst of blue smoke comes out. So basically I am wondering if this is only happening because I don't have a catch can, and if its normal to lose some oil during normal operation. The car burned absolutely no oil on my stock T25, but then again I was under stock boost and had the stock catch can set up.

Danb
09-05-2009, 06:05 PM
Do you have a oil restrictor on it?

jspaeth
09-05-2009, 06:09 PM
This doesn't seem terribly abnormal....you removed the catch can.

On hard pulls, some oil can get "flinged" up into that tee fitting and perhaps make its way into the intake track.....I would put the catchcan back in and see if that fixes it.

Also, you should run an oil restrictor....if oil is getting past the seals, that's probably worse than what I said above

SoguRacing
09-06-2009, 01:14 AM
i doubt that on the the oil would make it from the intake all the way through the compressor side of the turbo, through the intercooler, up 2 feet into the cold pipe and past the throttle plate and into the combustion chamber. you need to use a restrictor on a ball bearing turbo and secondly your rings on your pistons could be going bad. do a compression test to find out. if your numbers are... say 140- 160 across all cylinders then your compression is fine. It's most likely the seals in the turbo going out.

fliprayzin240sx
09-06-2009, 07:35 PM
He could be running rich off throttle and just burning it up hence the smoke.

steve shadows
09-06-2009, 07:38 PM
I just upgraded to a GTI-R T28 and when I put on my tubular manifold I had to delete the stock catch can and currently have crank case ventilation connected through the T on the valve cover and into the turbo inlet. My HKS adjustable actuator is set to 9 psi.

During a pull the car boosts really hard and doesn't smoke while i've got the pedal mashed and doesn't smoke when i let off. as soon as i hit the throttle again however, a burst of blue smoke comes out. So basically I am wondering if this is only happening because I don't have a catch can, and if its normal to lose some oil during normal operation. The car burned absolutely no oil on my stock T25, but then again I was under stock boost and had the stock catch can set up.

Your turbo seals are dying