PDA

View Full Version : Odd Sqeaking Problem

Titan
04-29-2003, 09:08 PM
Alright, well lately my brakes started to squeak, which is odd because I just replaced the rotors and pads in November before I stored her for the winter.

Anyways, lately I've been getting another squeak. This one happens when I don't even have the brake applied, in fact, it occurs when I'm just starting off.

Weird thing is, it only occurs at really low speeds (5-10 km/h) and then it stops. And what makes it weirder, is that it only happens sometimes.

Another thing is that it's not a constant squeak, but intermitant. So say I'm just pulling away from a stop, it will go:

SSSQQQUUUEEEAAAKKK........SSQQUUEEAAKK.... SQUEAK..squeak squeak squeak squeak.... then it stop after like 5-10 km/h.

I thought it might be the front rotor splash guards, so I bent them back a bit, but it still does it sometimes.

And I know it's not a wheel bearing, beacuse then I'd hear it at high speeds, plus a blown wheel bearing doesn't squeak.

So, any ideas from anyone? I tried searching, but didn't really find a problem like mine.

Thanks for any help.

robert
04-29-2003, 10:27 PM
believe it or not it could be a vacume problem blaying with your brake booster. because if you look for the rubber hose near the bottom of the brake booster it leads to the intake manifold. that would explain the low rpm thing( low vacuum) and when rpm's are low at high speeds road noise and the speed of the rotor keeps you from hearing it. so just see if the vacuum system is up to par with a vacuum tester and a repair manual. hope this helps

twitchy
04-29-2003, 11:03 PM
mine was making a funny squeak just like you were saying.. It does it regularly in fact. Know what always fixes it? (I was thinking I needed new pads)

Do you have a pressure washer?? Pull the front rims off and blast all around the brakes with the nozzle, in behind the splash plate, around the pads and caliper, be very thourough tho. If you dont have a pressure washer, just stick your thumb over the end of the hose and let er rip

if that doesnt do it (and like 99.9 percent of the time on mine it does, things get dust and stuff in them..) then you take off the calipers and grease the pins and do the backing plates too. Try the hose first

In my situation, I was very happy with it

New pads: $40
5 minutes of pressure washing: Free

Titan
04-30-2003, 01:15 PM
Nice, I'll try it out. Thanks guys.