PDA

View Full Version : Help!! rear hubs won't budge!!!

Rockda240
09-01-2009, 10:26 PM
Ok, I removed the locknut, the 4 bolts on the backside, and tried using a hub puller but my rear hub just won't budge!!! Help please I already tried looking up the solution!:bash:

palmdale_mob
09-01-2009, 10:30 PM
That happened to me when I was going five lug

I had to take out the whole assembly and throw it in a press, but before that try heating it up, or soaking in wd40

Shadowhunter
09-01-2009, 10:33 PM
An alternate rear hub removal solution for those stubborn hubs is to...

remove the four bolts on the back of the hub axle housing.
remove axle nut and washer.
unbolt the control arms from the rear suspension housing with the exception of the lower control arm...leave it bolted to the housing.
unbolt the rear shock from the housing.
lean the housing forward and remove the axle spindle from the hub.
at this point you should have the hub still pressed into the housing and the housing still bolted to the lower control arm.
lean the housing forward towards you, careful not to put too much stress on the ball joint.
get a large hammer (BFH) and distribute several well placed blows on the back of the hub while holding the housing with your other hand.
the hub should simply pop out.

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Nissan_240SX_Performance_Modification/4_lug_to_5_lug_conversion

Sileighty_85
09-01-2009, 10:53 PM
^^^

OR
Leave everything on
break loose axle nut
thread all the way out until nut is flush with end of axle shaft
soak splines with PB blaster
take dead blow hammer
smack axle shaft until desired results are acheived

projectRDM
09-02-2009, 03:18 AM
^^^

OR
Leave everything on
break loose axle nut
thread all the way out until nut is flush with end of axle shaft
soak splines with PB blaster
take dead blow hammer
smack axle shaft until desired results are acheived

How does beating the shit out of the axle make the hub come off?

Take the axle out from the backside, then place an object against the back of the wheel bearing, preferably a piece of wood, something semi soft. Beat the shit out of that, the force will drive the bearing and hub assembly out of the upright.

jholman05
09-02-2009, 08:20 AM
I have never tried it but I have heard of people taking log chains and bolting them to the lug then giving it a flip of the wrist to give it that shock. For me I just used a BFH and a pipe so I could reach the back of the hub and still get a decent strike on the pipe.

Sileighty_85
09-02-2009, 10:06 AM

Take the axle out from the backside, then place an object against the back of the wheel bearing, preferably a piece of wood, something semi soft. Beat the shit out of that, the force will drive the bearing and hub assembly out of the upright.

haha I was thinking the Axle shaft was rusted inside the hub, causing the hub not to come off.

essforteen
09-02-2009, 01:39 PM
or bolt your spare on and kick it until its loose, thats what i did and came right off!

krisdeezy
09-02-2009, 01:43 PM
lol this sounds familiar, this happened with me i just connect the rotor back on but backwards. Put the lugs on and got a rubber mallet and hit the shit outta that !

stinky_180
09-02-2009, 01:53 PM

mine was stuck too, this is EXACTLY how i got mine out.

blackrms13
09-02-2009, 02:16 PM
damn this thread is gonna help me out on finishing up the rear 5 lug...lol

good shit..

hOngsterr
09-02-2009, 02:31 PM
mine came off with ease

clark
09-02-2009, 02:38 PM
take a midol or two, put some rocks in your purse, and have at it panzy mary.

RhdRicheeee
07-12-2010, 12:06 AM
An alternate rear hub removal solution for those stubborn hubs is to...

remove the four bolts on the back of the hub axle housing.
remove axle nut and washer.
unbolt the control arms from the rear suspension housing with the exception of the lower control arm...leave it bolted to the housing.
unbolt the rear shock from the housing.
lean the housing forward and remove the axle spindle from the hub.
at this point you should have the hub still pressed into the housing and the housing still bolted to the lower control arm.
lean the housing forward towards you, careful not to put too much stress on the ball joint.
get a large hammer (BFH) and distribute several well placed blows on the back of the hub while holding the housing with your other hand.
the hub should simply pop out.

Nissan 240SX Performance Modification/4 lug to 5 lug conversion - Wikibooks, collection of open-content textbooks (http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Nissan_240SX_Performance_Modification/4_lug_to_5_lug_conversion)

this worked perfect today thanks for posting it

JapanS15
08-03-2010, 07:04 AM
Mine is kicking my ass as I'm trying NOT to damage it as it is my 5 lug. I tried heat, screwdriver and hammer, just a hammer alone... and its still a no-go. About to try a different method as mentioned above.

bb4_96
08-03-2010, 07:27 AM
I second bolting the wheel back on after unbolting hub bolts and axle nut and kicking.

JapanS15
08-03-2010, 09:56 AM
Got it done and all put back together. What I did was actually install the 4 bolts back in, but left them about 1/8" backed out and just tapped those in a criss-cross pattern and it finally broke free. That way it didn't fall to the ground after it became free either! It didn't mess up the threads at all as they are pretty beefy to begin with. So I'd like to add that as another way to break the wheel bearing/hub assy free from the spindle/knuckle. I completely removed spindle/hub assy before banging on it. It was a little more work, but made it so much easier imo.

2d-ink
08-03-2010, 11:31 AM
haha same method here as what everyone said. BOlt up a crappy wheel then I actually use the 3 ton jack itself and rammed it front the back side of the tires and pop it came out. lol

c72c
08-03-2010, 11:56 AM
That happened to me when I was going five lug

I had to take out the whole assembly and throw it in a press,...

Same Same.

I tried putting the tire back on and kicking it- Fail
Put the spindle in a vice and beat the sh*t out of it with a hammer- Fail

and for reference DON'T USE A TORCH FOR HEAT. using a torch (or something similar) will heat it up unevenly and can cause you more problems down the road. if you use heat, put it in an oven.

Tokona-x
08-03-2010, 02:22 PM
+1 for PB blaster If you let it soak in really good it works wonders(yeah i know thats what she said LOL)

Jbma327
08-12-2010, 12:47 AM
bring it to a shop with a press. Either let them do the work or else take out the hub and axle as one piece and have them press it out.

s13skyy
06-11-2011, 12:38 PM
How the fuck do you get the 4 hub bolts out? I can't get a socket on them to save my life

Vernal
06-11-2011, 08:36 PM
How the fuck do you get the 4 hub bolts out? I can't get a socket on them to save my life

rotate the axle

One_love_silvia
06-11-2011, 11:29 PM
http://74.65.11.196/full/Mechanical-Jaw-Puller.JPG

these work wonders. 3 different sizes for 15 bucks from harbor freight.

or u shud be able to pry it off from the back with a pry bar.

recommend the jaw pullers tho.

mortadellama70
11-01-2012, 11:39 PM
http://www.wholesalecarparts.com.au/images/products/poplets/stk-6878_p2.jpg

How is the gear/jaw puller going to remove the hub? There's nothing to hold onto!

I've tried a few different methods, the best way by faaaaar is a slide hammer with a fat (bigger than the inside bore of the axle splines) washer and nut, threaded onto the slide hammer end on the inside of the hub... Then "slide hammer" with strong, heavy, repetitive blows toward the outside of the car...

It will pop right off..

Frank_Jaeger
11-01-2012, 11:44 PM
http://www.wholesalecarparts.com.au/images/products/poplets/stk-6878_p2.jpg

How is the gear/jaw puller going to remove the hub? There's nothing to hold onto!

I've tried a few different methods, the best way by faaaaar is a slide hammer with a fat (bigger than the inside bore of the axle splines) washer and nut, threaded onto the slide hammer end on the inside of the hub... Then "slide hammer" with strong, heavy, repetitive blows toward the outside of the car...

It will pop right off..
False. See the thread I just made.

rebornS14
11-01-2012, 11:58 PM
i've done a dozen or more 5 lug swaps and never had a issue with a snap-on slide hammer. try to find a place that rents one.