PDA

View Full Version : Redtop Tranny whine?

sr240noob
09-01-2009, 05:34 PM
As some of u know i swapped a redtop into my 95 240sx. I am in the process of workin out all the bugs and i run into something just about everytime i fix another problem.

My next issue is somewhere in the transmission. It shifts fine and doesnt overheat but it whines as i drive. Also it is heard in neutral. But as soon as i push the clutch in it stops. Any idea what this can be? Ill start it and leave it in neutral ,it whines. but when i press the clutch peddal to the floor it stops and sounds normal. I though maybe it was the fluids being to low but it wasnt. Think maybe it could be a throw out bearing or something? Any info would be greatly appreciated. thank you

DreamN
09-01-2009, 05:39 PM
lol I just dealt with the same issue. It's most likely your input shaft bearing. Definitely not your throw out bearing. If you keep driving you will more than likely shatter that bearing and your transmission won't like you much afterwards.

Get another transmission or change out the bearings. Not a novice job by the way so you most likely will want a shop to do it.

sr240noob
09-01-2009, 07:19 PM
Damn, is there anything else this could be?

BILLFISHER21
09-01-2009, 08:01 PM
nope its the tranny just leave it, Iv had three do that they lasted pretty long though like 15 events

sr240noob
09-01-2009, 08:07 PM
nope its the tranny just leave it, Iv had three do that they lasted pretty long though like 15 events

so its normal? I just installed it and its been doing it since i finished the install. im not sure how its suppoded to sound, but it just didnt sound right! lol So ur saying just drive it and not worry about it? cant mess up n e thing else can it?

DreamN
09-01-2009, 08:52 PM

That's simply stupid.

so its normal? I just installed it and its been doing it since i finished the install. im not sure how its suppoded to sound, but it just didnt sound right! lol So ur saying just drive it and not worry about it? cant mess up n e thing else can it?

Definitely not normal. The way you described the sound I'm almost positive it is your input shaft bearing as it's the same exact issue I had with my transmission.

If you leave it like that you risk the bearing shredding to pieces and possibly damaging more parts of your transmission.

Do as I typed in the previous post; either purchase another transmission (could be KA or SR, just swap the SR bellhousing onto the KA transmission) or have a shop install new bearings. Better yet have the transmission rebuilt.

When draining my transmission I found chunks of metal shards. The fluid practically painted my hand silver (it looked as if I sprayed my hand with silver spray paint). Not to mention I also found ball bearings as well. Definitely not the best thing for a transmission.

Be smart about this. Don't follow the advice of some idiot drifter.

DALAZ_68
09-01-2009, 10:31 PM

listen to DreamN, he's been thru this shit many of times... fix it b4 it becomes serious, if it hasnt already...

dont listen to someone who tells u a loud crap sound is ok...ur not gonna walk around with a broken leg and consider it normal...are you...

sr240noob
09-02-2009, 05:46 AM
ok, i will call around today lookin for quotes for a rebuild. i Def. dont wanna mess shit up worse than it is. i use it as a daily driver. i may even just buy a new tranny.well used but in good shape.

DALAZ_68
09-02-2009, 09:20 AM
ok, i will call around today lookin for quotes for a rebuild. i Def. dont wanna mess shit up worse than it is. i use it as a daily driver. i may even just buy a new tranny.well used but in good shape.

just buy a clean KA tranny, take it to the shop and tell them to swap the bellshousing's over with ur Sr tranny...done...just make sure u buy from a respectable source

sr240noob
09-02-2009, 06:08 PM
so the trannies are identacle beside housings? Im pretty sure i could do it. if its a direct swap over. Ill look into it thankis you man.

DreamN
09-02-2009, 06:10 PM
Yes, transmission is the same thing aside from the bellhousing.

DALAZ_68
09-02-2009, 06:17 PM
so the trannies are identacle beside housings? Im pretty sure i could do it. if its a direct swap over. Ill look into it thankis you man.

Yes, transmission is the same thing aside from the bellhousing.

yes SR's (5 spds) CA's and KA's can use each other gear boxes, diff bell housings, make sure u have a gasket/liquid gasket to make sure its sealed right

might wanna have a shop do it though, people who have never done it b4 usually run into trouble of the shifter not being able ot move or other things... gl non the less

sr240noob
09-02-2009, 08:37 PM
Hey, thank you guys so much. I have a good tranny from my ka i could use. What u think a shop would charge to do this?

DALAZ_68
09-02-2009, 10:48 PM
Hey, thank you guys so much. I have a good tranny from my ka i could use. What u think a shop would charge to do this?

itll be alot less if u pull the tranny and take both trannies to a transmission shop, and reinstall the repaired tranny urself/friends...