PDA

View Full Version : Re-Using Wheel Studs?

Agent_S13
08-31-2009, 03:30 PM
Basic facts:

Running Nismo 60-mm extended studs all around
Rear Wheel Bearing is bad

Options:

1) Replace bearing only

Remove hub/bearing, press out old bearing, press old hub (w/ studs) into new bearing, re-install (studs don't "move").

2) Buy hub assembly (combined hub/bearing)
Though these would have the stock (40 mm) studs.

I'd have to remove the Nismo studs from my old hub assembly but would they be re-usable? Especially considering the ideal way is to bash them out w/ a BFH which usually doesn't mean they can be used again. If I press them out and re-press them into the new hub assembly would that be ok or is it "installed once, can't use 'em again"?

I'm tempted to go with #2 since its relatively easy, especially since pressing in 5 wheel studs seems "easier" than the hub/bearing assembly.

Thoughts on this or am I going to have to source 5 60-mm Nismo studs that are brand new somehow? If anyone knows a place that will sell individual studs, please post a link.

If I can get individual studs, will buy a new hub assembly and studs, press them in ahead of time and do to a removal/replace to minimize downtime.

Thanks for any input!

-Aaron
'91 240sx coupe

DrifterPaw
08-31-2009, 03:44 PM
You can reuse them if you use a brass punch on them to get them out. I did that with some studs and they're still good.

ILoveJDM
08-31-2009, 03:49 PM
using a ball joint "puller" thing you can press out the studs without any harm

http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/otc_balljoint_puller_1.jpg

projectRDM
08-31-2009, 05:15 PM
The new OEM bearing/hub assembly doesn't come pressed in, so even that route you'd have to press it together.

I've reused studs before a few times, hit it with a softer hammer or put a block of wood in between the stud and hammer, they won't crown much. You may also want to put an open ended nut on it so after knocking it loose, you thread the nut off, cleaning up any threads that may be lightly damaged.

!Zar!
08-31-2009, 06:46 PM
The new OEM bearing/hub assembly doesn't come pressed in, so even that route you'd have to press it together.

I've reused studs before a few times, hit it with a softer hammer or put a block of wood in between the stud and hammer, they won't crown much. You may also want to put an open ended nut on it so after knocking it loose, you thread the nut off, cleaning up any threads that may be lightly damaged.

Done everything mentioned like this tons of times with no problem.

As for replacing the stud, if the hub is off of the car, you can hammer them back in.

If the hub is still on the car, then use an open end lug nut and keep tightening it until it pulls the stud all the way in.

S14_Kouki
08-31-2009, 07:16 PM
Wheel studs i had to change 3 of them in a parking lot in BFE WV it sucked ass

garagelu
08-31-2009, 08:14 PM
thread an old lug nut on a couple turns and hit the nut so you wont damage the threads. I bought used nismo extended studs and reused them.

flip3d
08-31-2009, 08:21 PM
I don't see why you couldn't. Just torque your lug nuts evenly when you put your wheels on. Hell, have some fun with it. Torque them in steps.

Agent_S13
09-01-2009, 04:21 PM
Thanks for the input all.

I think I was getting the front hubs mixed up since those I believe are combined (hub/assembly).

Since the majority of the response indicate re-using the studs (with care in its removal/re-install), I'll probably go that route.

I was only concerned since I had read a few earlier threads that made it seem like the knurl splines on Nismo studs seem "softer" (take that for what you will) compared to our other (and much cheaper options) for wheel studs (Peak Performance, etc).

For reference, I will have access to a press so I figure I can also use it to remove/re-install the wheel studs into the respective hubs.

The only reason I was considering a new hub is due to the fact that I've had this noise (which I believe to be a bad bearing) for awhile (5+k miles and worried I've scored the hub (as referenced in past threads I've researched before starting this one).

I don't want to take it apart and try to re-use the hub just to find it all fvcked up.

Now its time to start sourcing a new bearing.

-Aaron
'91 240sx coupe

clark
09-01-2009, 04:54 PM
yeah,

i've done the exact thing that projectRDM said.

i threaded a regular open lug nut on it JUST until it cleared OVER the stud. then when i whacked it, didn't crown at all.