PDA

View Full Version : Roll a 240?

Top Cog
04-28-2003, 08:33 AM
Have any of you ever seen or unfortunately been apart of a 240 rolling?

Can I hear your stories, How did the rig hold up?

I was at the track this weekend and witnessed a WRX roll over and do a nasty cartwheel, OOOFFF!

That made me start thinking about putting some form of added bracing in my car.

I have a 91 fastback, I really would like to put just a hoop in not a full cage, does anyone know of a vendor who makes such an item for 240's? Or do people ussually just have that stuff custom made.

Also I see occasionaly that rear tubular brace that mounts behind the seats and bolts into the floor, does anyone know a vendor for that tasty item?

Dousan_PG
04-28-2003, 08:37 AM
rolling? everytime i've been to a track its either been a BMW M3 or a Civic, etc or some other idiot going balls out when they shouldn't, and not thinking with their head but instead, the extra set of balls they purchased on the way to the track.

most people WONT roll their cars. if you set your car up well should be fine and if you think with your head and keep your mind clear and dont get overconfident, you should be a-ok.

as far as cages go, you can get an Autopower (s13 only) or go custom route.

Top Cog
04-28-2003, 08:55 AM
Yep I am with you! Most the time it is some WACKJOB with way too much car and way to much ego in relation to his skill level.

The problem with this track is that when you go off it is ussually off camber and if you don't point it down there is a good chance the car will grab, yesterday the grass was soft and his car really dug in.

I am getting tired of people with tooo much ego ruining it for everyone else!

Dousan_PG
04-28-2003, 09:07 AM
i suggest the autopower or a custom job

another alternative:
the cusco/safety 21 units from japan are great for roll over protection but arent legal (competition or street) wise in the USA

i might get a safety 21 one, but i dont compete or scca or anything like that, just open track events so i don't care about those type or regulations. if you are in same boat, that's a great option as well.

nokeone
04-28-2003, 10:26 AM
i would recommend against the Cusco cages...i have a friend with a Type R with one of these and the thing flexes like crazy under moderate to heavy cornering...that says something to me about it's strength and regidity..

also there is probably a reason they are not approved by the sanctioning racing bodies here in the States...

they are more for fashion then function...IMO

AKADriver
04-28-2003, 10:29 AM
I've spun my car at the track, it's a butt-puckering experience... not rolled it, thankfully.

The "JDM" bars seem similar to Autopower's "street" bar.

The difference that makes an SCCA-legal bar is just a diagonal cross-brace. Sucks if you want to use the rear seat, but you can make the cross brace removable. Personally, when it's time for a roll bar in my car, I'll be pitching the rear seat to offset the weight increase...

That rear floor brace is made by Do-Luck in Japan.

nokeone
04-28-2003, 10:34 AM
just my personal recommendation..and it's less then $300.00

http://www.optauto.com/store/images/AP-RACRB.GIF

The Autopower Race Roll Bar is designed for Solo, Autocross and high speed Time Trials. Full width roll bar hoop with two 3/4" x 120" mild steel. Other tubing sizes are available to meet the requirements for individual needs. Optional horizontal seat back tube can be added for shoulder harness mounting and seat support. Another option available is a removable or bolt-in cross brace. This allows easier access to the back seat area if the car is a dual purpose street and race vehicle. The race roll bar is coated with a high gloss black finish. Grade 5 fasteners and backup plates are included with each roll bar.

AKADriver
04-28-2003, 10:42 AM
yep.

get it for less from i/o port racing (http://www.ioportracing.com).

Dousan_PG
04-28-2003, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by nokeone
i would recommend against the Cusco cages...i have a friend with a Type R with one of these and the thing flexes like crazy under moderate to heavy cornering...that says something to me about it's strength and regidity..

also there is probably a reason they are not approved by the sanctioning racing bodies here in the States...

they are more for fashion then function...IMO

your friend must have done something wrong. i know 4 people w/ a cusco cage in their s13/s14 and its awesome. rock solid, even mid drifts and all that whoopla. they love it.

nokeone
04-28-2003, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by dousan36
your friend must have done something wrong. i know 4 people w/ a cusco cage in their s13/s14 and its awesome. rock solid, even mid drifts and all that whoopla. they love it.

interesting...i'll tell him to take a look at it...

sykikchimp
04-29-2003, 08:42 AM
The diagonal cross brace is not the only difference.

The actual metal used in an SCCA cage is at a minimum DOM mild steel, very strong, but also very heavy.

The joints where the bars connect must either be welded, or have a double bolt attachment mechanism, where the bolts are feed through the piping, not through a bracket.

An SCCA approved cage is stronger and safer than that Cusco cage. I have no experience with the cusco cage, but there is a reason for the rules they set forth. No comprimises safety. The cusco cage, is safety with comprimises.