PDA

View Full Version : Deatschwerks ROM Tuning- Feedback?

CamryOnBronze
08-26-2009, 10:11 AM
I have been researching quite a bit over the past month in preparation for my new turbo setup in the spring. My 93 Hatch w/ SR Blacktop's stock T25 is on the way out, so I purchased an S15 T28 turbo to replace it. I have been asked "Why didn't you go with ______ turbo instead?" many times, but that is the route I have chosen to take and I already have the turbo in hand, so that is not going to change any time soon.

I have read numerous threads about JWT, Enthalpy, and most recently, the ROM tuning package thread from Deatschwerks. From my understanding, Scott at Enthalpy does some really great work and can customize a tune to my needs (as specific as a ROM tune through the mail can get of course), but is pretty hard to get a hold of. I realize this is not his full time job and communication can be hit or miss. I understand his situation, but that is a bit of a turn off for me.

I have heard good things about JWT, but I have not been able to find much info on their website about pricing and contacting them.

I have talked through PM with Deatschwerks and they have been really helpful. I need injectors and a Walbro pump anyway, so their package seems to make the most sense to me for my needs. The only thing I don't like is that their tune is for 91 octane and I usually run 93 octane. I know this wouldn't really hurt anything, but I'm sure there is a small amount of power that could come out of running 93 instead of 91- however, this isn't a huge concern to me.

So in short, I just wanted to see if anyone here is currently using a ROM tune from Deatschwerks. How was the overall experience for you? Are you happy with your tune? Good and/or bad feedback?

I am not looking for big numbers- I simply want a cost effective, proven, and safe tune to run. I have a winter car, but this car is my daily during the summer months and I drive 130 miles per day to and from work. I would just like a safe, reliable, and conservative setup that I can enjoy and use daily without hurting reliability.

Thanks in advance- comments welcome.

Damon

waynehead05
08-26-2009, 09:51 PM
Well... they did post up their results in their package for sale thread. Did you get a chance to look at it?

S14_Kouki
08-26-2009, 10:08 PM
ROM tunes are cool but.............. you should get a stand alone, its wayyyyy better

GREXS14
08-26-2009, 10:16 PM
I know the guy who does the rom tunes at Deatschwerks his car is the guinea pig for the tune and he has spent alot of time perfecting it.

he beats the piss out of his car at drift events in our area no issues.

I sent him a message maybe he will chime in.

steve shadows
08-27-2009, 12:22 AM
I know the guy who does the rom tunes at Deatschwerks his car is the guinea pig for the tune and he has spent alot of time perfecting it.

he beats the piss out of his car at drift events in our area no issues.

I sent him a message maybe he will chime in.

Exactly and that is the real point.

I know it from experience.

Unless you are there burning the chip on the dyno for the customer tuning it in person, usually the maps are very generic or may bee to dangerous or not advaned enough to properly burn the petrol in the cylinder.

I am happy to see some more companies offering services for tuning in the Rom category but I have personally seen ECU's even from JWT and Enthalpy have very sporadic and lopsided AFR's on thier maps.

For example could you imagine an off boost AFR of 16.5:1 and an on boost AFR or 9:1?

Your headers would crack under light throttle due to screaming EGTs and your plugs would foul quickly under boost (not to mention ruin your oil and put your Rod Bearings at risk!).

I have not had a car with a rom tune come into the shop that was correctly tuned (i.e. with 13.8-14.0 Off boost and 11.5:1 on boost) which is what you want for any American High Octane pump gas.

They were always just a little bit off.

With a Power FC, Haltech or AEM unit, in about 2 hours of steady state on the dyno dynamics I can have every single cell in a customers OFF BOOST map dead on at 14.0:1 AFR with perfect fuel economy and a perfect transition into boost with 13:1 then 12:1 then 11.5:1 with maximum torque and VIOLENT response thanks to all these hard to reach parts of the map being tuned dead on using the Cell by Cell steady state that the DD lets me do.

Seeing the customers face when the AFR graph is a straight line is also fun.

anyways, Im just rambling now...:o:2c:

bl3ujay07
08-27-2009, 12:48 AM
^^^Steve Shadows FTW. When i get my OTHER check in october, i'll be seeing steve. No rom tunes, real-time tune and dyno ftw.

steve shadows
08-27-2009, 01:00 AM
Cool thanks man.

Please check in with me via PM a if you havent purchased you EMS yet or if you have I can give you base settings so you can get it running

handinpants
08-27-2009, 01:23 AM
i agree with steve shadows on that.... but don't forget about nistune too

bardabe
08-27-2009, 10:12 AM
I need to stop crashing and spending my money on fixing my car so Steve Can tune it for me, then we will see a Monster Come oFf the Dyno easily

bl3ujay07
08-27-2009, 11:58 AM
i agree with steve shadows on that.... but don't forget about nistune too

true, i think i will be getting nistune and have steve tune it or maybe pfc. still trying to figure out if i want the gt2871r or the disco potato and whatever monies i got left over.

Def
08-27-2009, 11:59 AM
14.0 or richer off boost is horrible. I hope you meant about 15.0:1 or a lambda just over 1.

Exactly and that is the real point.

I know it from experience.

Unless you are there burning the chip on the dyno for the customer tuning it in person, usually the maps are very generic or may bee to dangerous or not advaned enough to properly burn the petrol in the cylinder.

I am happy to see some more companies offering services for tuning in the Rom category but I have personally seen ECU's even from JWT and Enthalpy have very sporadic and lopsided AFR's on thier maps.

For example could you imagine an off boost AFR of 16.5:1 and an on boost AFR or 9:1?

Your headers would crack under light throttle due to screaming EGTs and your plugs would foul quickly under boost (not to mention ruin your oil and put your Rod Bearings at risk!).

I have not had a car with a rom tune come into the shop that was correctly tuned (i.e. with 13.8-14.0 Off boost and 11.5:1 on boost) which is what you want for any American High Octane pump gas.

They were always just a little bit off.

With a Power FC, Haltech or AEM unit, in about 2 hours of steady state on the dyno dynamics I can have every single cell in a customers OFF BOOST map dead on at 14.0:1 AFR with perfect fuel economy and a perfect transition into boost with 13:1 then 12:1 then 11.5:1 with maximum torque and VIOLENT response thanks to all these hard to reach parts of the map being tuned dead on using the Cell by Cell steady state that the DD lets me do.

Seeing the customers face when the AFR graph is a straight line is also fun.

anyways, Im just rambling now...:o:2c:

CamryOnBronze
08-27-2009, 12:26 PM
I was really hoping to NOT create another "ROM tunes suck, buy a stand alone" thread since I have spent hours reading them over the past couple of weeks, but I guess I failed at that. :lol:

As I said, I want a conservative and reliable tune to use for daily driving. I for sure understand the benefits of a standalone setup and I am all for doing it right the first time, but it does not make sense for my needs. The car will never see track duty and quite frankly, there is no one in Michigan that I would trust to tune my car on a standalone, unlike California. I am not looking to spend that kind of money on this setup, I just need something basic and reliable.

And yes, I have read their thread and talked directly with Deatshcwerks to get a better idea of what their tune is like, but I was curious to know if anyone is running this setup or knew someone personally running it. Numbers are great and all, but it is nice to talk to someone who experiences the product every day.

Cool thanks man.

Please check in with me via PM a if you havent purchased you EMS yet or if you have I can give you base settings so you can get it running

I have read a lot of threads with your posts in them and I respect your feedback and knowledge on the subject. I completely understand that dyno tuning a car for the exact specific setup is preferred. That is how my last car was tuned and I completely agree with you- this isn't my first rodeo ;) Unfortunately, you are in Cali and I am across the country in Michigan. We don't really have much of anything as far as shops are concerned. I think there is one shop in the state that is authorized to tune with the Power FC and I am not sure that I would trust them with it, despite that ceritifcation. A ROM tune is very appealing to me in my situation, even if it isn't completely perfect.

garagelu
08-27-2009, 01:32 PM
I think there is one shop in the state that is authorized to tune with the Power FC and I am not sure that I would trust them with it, despite that ceritifcation. A ROM tune is very appealing to me in my situation, even if it isn't completely perfect.

Damon,

This is Kevin with that gold s14 kouki. I met you when you had the solara at that dyno day at Allspeed a while ago. If you ever decide to go with power fc, I HIGHLY recommend Matt at Monkeywrench Racing in Commerce Township. I've tuned there twice and both times I was really happy with the results. Last time I tuned I even drove about 5 hours from Illinois to have him do my tuning.

I don't know if you prefer to buy new, but I've been seeing used power fc's go for about 600-700 dollars. Sell your stock ecu and you are at about the same price as a rom tune. Of course you need to spend money for dyno time but it's a more accurate tune to a higher potential and you have room to retune later if you upgrade anything.

CamryOnBronze
08-27-2009, 01:59 PM
That is good to hear man, it's good to hear some positive feedback at a place local to me. I remember you and your car for sure, I will shoot you a PM. Thanks for the info!

steve shadows
08-27-2009, 08:29 PM
I was really hoping to NOT create another "ROM tunes suck, buy a stand alone" thread since I have spent hours reading them over the past couple of weeks, but I guess I failed at that. :lol:

No!

Not at all! Just make sure if you do go that route to check the tune with a wideband and if there are some worry spots, i.e. AFR is like 16.5:1 or 20:1 or the on boost AFR is 9:1, you can send it back and get it re-worked for free.

CamryOnBronze
08-31-2009, 09:07 AM
No doubt, thank you for the advice. I think I have decided to just go with the Power FC and get the car dyno tuned... I try to justify doing things the cheaper way, but I always end up saying screw it and doing it right. :lol:

ProjectGarage
10-10-2009, 05:52 PM
No doubt, thank you for the advice. I think I have decided to just go with the Power FC and get the car dyno tuned... I try to justify doing things the cheaper way, but I always end up saying screw it and doing it right. :lol:

Word lol

Hey Steve im going to want to bring my car down there and have it tuned. Ill probably be going with a power FC eventually, what would you say itd cost to get it tuned? Also is an adjustable FPR needed? Or is it just a good idea?