PDA

View Full Version : Blew my clutch to pieces....HUGE FAIL! Lots of carnage

NISNPWR
08-24-2009, 07:01 PM
I was doing a pull and when i shifted to grab 4th My pressure plate seared off my flywheel breaking my input shaft to the tranny and then causing all of it to shoot through my bell housing.
My whole bell housing is shattered into pieces.
My pressure plate is stuck in between my cylinder head and the fire wall..... and I cant get it out.
My clutch put a divot in a concrete road about 3"x4"x1" deep.
i have a hole in my down pipe the size of a 50 cent piece.
there is a hole in my center council about the size of a quarter.
This is a quick pic of what i took from underneath it.
Very shitty pic but you get the point.
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b24/Boostin247/bellhousing.jpg
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b24/Boostin247/block.jpg
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b24/Boostin247/clutchnpressureplate.jpg
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b24/Boostin247/clutch.jpg
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b24/Boostin247/downpipe.jpg
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b24/Boostin247/flywheel.jpg
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b24/Boostin247/pressureplate.jpg
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b24/Boostin247/tranny.jpg

xpertsnowcarver
08-24-2009, 07:06 PM
HOLY SHIT!!! That's a first for me!

So what threw a wrench in your dryer man!? The pressure plate broke off?? Lucky the bellhousing dampened the force of all those flying parts. If it wasn't for that, all those parts would have gone through your chassis and into your face!

chibo
08-24-2009, 07:32 PM
Holy fucking shit. What brand are those?

cody180sx
08-24-2009, 07:35 PM
holy baby jesus man that could of killed you that 4 puck went off like a nuke

g-via
jesus you're lucky it didn't rip thru the floor and into your LEGS.

god damn!

zenki.life

damn. i was thinking the same thing. be grateful your not dead

Gorilla Unit 33
08-24-2009, 07:44 PM
Thats crazy. My uncle told me once bac in the day he knew someone that this happened to and he almost lost his leg. He always said to invest in a scatter sheild incase something like this ever happened. What brand x2?

GSXRJJordan
08-24-2009, 07:46 PM
First thing's first, grammar and spelling make me wonder if it was installed right. Just saying, impressions and all.

This is what I would like to know also. Did the bolts holding the pressure plate to the flywheel shear off, or did the flywheel actually break/section off? Pics don't show it very well.

turbotofu
08-24-2009, 07:50 PM
:eek2:Good LORD, how does that even happen, just a freak accident? *edit* or bad install but GSXR beat me to it lol.
Nice to see you didn't have any body parts cleaved off dude.

I LUV MY S13
08-24-2009, 07:59 PM
hell yea ur lucky u werent hit with any of those pieces

z2roll4life7
08-24-2009, 08:14 PM
Dang that some carnage Bro dam man what now?

flip3d
08-24-2009, 09:14 PM
Looks like the 4-puck Spec Stage 3. Did you torque everything right? Did you break it in properly? That shit's crazy.

wangan_cruiser
08-24-2009, 09:36 PM
yea good thing u didnt get hurt.

and pls let us know what kind of clutch is that.

and how much hp u were pulling.

from the pic of the flywheel, the bolts sheared off from the mounting point.

thats crazy. update us!

wangan_cruiser
08-24-2009, 09:40 PM
oh and more thing

u need to inspect all the moving parts from crankshaft to camshaft.

that is a serious damage.

repda916
08-24-2009, 09:51 PM
your motor and trans needs a cliff

Souljahzs13
08-24-2009, 10:06 PM
A 240s final destination horror... Luckily nothing happened to you.

Wabash9000
08-24-2009, 10:11 PM
oh and more thing

from the looks of it the back side of the block is cracked so all of it is probably going to the dump anyways.

NISNPWR
08-24-2009, 10:13 PM
HOLY SHIT!!! That's a first for me!

So what threw a wrench in your dryer man!? The pressure plate broke off?? Lucky the bellhousing dampened the force of all those flying parts. If it wasn't for that, all those parts would have gone through your chassis and into your face!
Yeah there is a hole about the size of a dime on my center council next to my shifter.

Fidanzza aluminum flywheel, and Competition clutch and pressure plate.

Looks like the 4-puck Spec Stage 3. Did you torque everything right? Did you break it in properly? That shit's crazy.
Yes everything was installed correct. This is my second season on this setup.
From the looks of it the pressure plate ripped out of the aluminum flywheel.
I am going to contact Fidanzza and see what they have to say about it.

Dang that some carnage Bro dam man what now?
Buy a bell houseing input shaft, fix my block and a twin disc and let er buck!

240sxxs
08-24-2009, 10:17 PM
god damng....OH MY GOD...make me scare now...how is that even happen....look like clutch master ... or EDM...LOL but no im serious about it look like clutch master ..i lve exedy..pretty bullet proof

NISNPWR
08-24-2009, 10:18 PM
yea good thing u didnt get hurt.

and pls let us know what kind of clutch is that.

and how much hp u were pulling.

from the pic of the flywheel, the bolts sheared off from the mounting point.

thats crazy. update us!

oh and more thing

It is a Competition clutch. On high boost I dynoed 578whp and 444tq.
The night it happend I was only on 20psi which is about 525whp for me.
The flywheel bolts ripped right out of the flywheel
Yeah the block will be fully disasembled and gone through.

NISNPWR
08-24-2009, 10:20 PM
from the looks of it the back side of the block is cracked so all of it is probably going to the dump anyways.

Yes, Cracked and it has 2 of the bell housing bolts ripped right out so all the threads are junk, plus the started got ripped off so the two bolts that hold it on broke the block.

chetacheese
08-24-2009, 10:41 PM
so will you still be going the the fidanza set up? or going with a different brand? id like to know because i was just gonna buy one, till i saw this...

NISNPWR
08-24-2009, 10:44 PM
so will you still be going the the fidanza set up? or going with a different brand? id like to know because i was just gonna buy one, till i saw this...

I have had 3 of them now and never had a problem untill now.
if you dont plan on breaking 450whp I would still buy one. but if you plan on going with a big build go with a steel flywheel
I am going to run a twin disc now so I will have a steel flywheel.

waynehead05
08-24-2009, 10:47 PM
oops! .

bardabe
08-24-2009, 11:40 PM
yeah steel or chromolly flywheels for that kind of power please, I would NEVER run an aluminum flywheel with that kind of power, you are lucky to not be hurt, I'm running a JUN Chromolly Flywheel, with an RPS Clutch, good for 728ftlbs of torque. never had a problem i absolutely love the set up.

flip3d
08-25-2009, 10:25 AM
Oh man. Fidanza you say?

With that power you should be running one of those nice twin disc units like OS Giken or something.

bardabe
08-25-2009, 10:39 AM
^^^ You don't need Twin Disk set ups, he just needs a good pressure plate and flywheel, with the correct clutch material it will hold, my clutch is a sinlge disk, no clutch chatter or idle noise, and will hold one hell of a llot of torque.

I Would Strongly Recomend this Clutch it's what I have and I Absolutely Love it
http://www.specialtyz.com/rps240.htm (last one on the bottom)

keep in mind I have a Z32 so I run this clutch
300ZX TT (http://www.specialtyz.com/tt.htm)

RPS MAX 6 Puck.

zylvia213
08-25-2009, 10:51 AM
dam thats crazy man! i use to know some guy that worked on datsuns while back that same thing happen to him but hit flywheel flew off as well.... sliced through the trans tunnel and chopped his leg almost completely. Good thing you didnt get hurt cause i could have been nasty.

clark
08-25-2009, 10:59 AM
the problem could have started with 2 or 3 pressure plate bolts working themselves loose which eventually puts more sterss on the other bolts.

YoungGun
08-25-2009, 11:01 AM
Holy shit!!!

S-Nation S13
08-25-2009, 11:07 AM
DAMNNN!! jus imagine what it sounded like i would have been like WTF was that lol

oni jake
08-25-2009, 02:55 PM
well at least on the bright side you didn't have to disconnect the tranny to get the engine out. GJ on finding a new and improved way :thumbsup:

slider2828
08-25-2009, 03:03 PM
LOL!! I run RPS Max with Fidanza and its pure sex.... But with that much power I would definitely go with twin disk or even a high end single like Exedy Hyper Single.

Grenade180sx
08-25-2009, 03:06 PM
congrats on keeping your legs and body parts. glad your ok.

xpertsnowcarver
08-25-2009, 03:16 PM
Wow, I'm a huge HUGE Fidanza fan.. I use their flywheels and clutch kits all the time. But, I've never ran over 280hp on their products. I'm not fond of SPEC and their products. Sometime I catch dealers painting their pressure plates when I go pick up some other product... Wasn't really thrilled when I saw that. GL with the repairs bro.

Anything over 300hp, I'd go with a twin disc setup.

KrazyS13
08-25-2009, 04:23 PM
Holy shit! That is some serious carnage, I have never seen anything like it. I bet that sounded CRAZY as hell when it happened!

Congrats on the limb keepage...lol

204JDM240
08-25-2009, 04:35 PM
HAHA holy crap u werent kidding! glad ur okay man that coulda cut thru ur legs!

NISNPWR
08-25-2009, 06:51 PM
Thanks guys, yeah the more and more i think about it the happier i am that i didnt get hurt.

wangan_cruiser
08-25-2009, 06:57 PM
after all that i would invest a scattered plate just like the other member said.

better safe than sorry.

wh0aitznic0
08-25-2009, 11:15 PM
Note to self: Use loctite on flywheel/pressure plate bolts.

BustedS13
08-25-2009, 11:42 PM
wow, didn't expect that. never seen that happen on a 240 before.
tranny blanket time?

RCI 7808A - RCI Transmission Blankets-Overview – SummitRacing.com (http://www.summitracing.com/parts/RCI-7808A/)

biundaground
08-26-2009, 03:40 AM
at least im not the only one same thing happened to me but i could save my motor

Slideways_Kiwi
08-26-2009, 04:58 AM
If you look closely at the Pressure Plate bolts holes, you"ll see that the bolts didn"t rattle out, but look to have ripped through the flywheel itself.

aoiken3
08-26-2009, 06:48 AM
this is intense!! i hope this never happens to me.....

projectRDM
08-26-2009, 07:13 AM
From the looks of it the pressure plate ripped out of the aluminum flywheel.
I am going to contact Fidanzza and see what they have to say about it.
Buy a bell houseing input shaft, fix my block and a twin disc and let er buck!

The flywheel bolts ripped right out of the flywheel

You're contradicting yourself.

The presssure plate bolts pulled out of the flywheel. You can clearly see that, and you can see the flywheel bolts are all still in place.

I'm betting you overtightened the bolts in the first place, or if you've swapped clutches a few times, you weakened the threads. Aluminum flywheels aren't meant to see constant tightening/loosening of the pressure plate, if you've gone through a few clutches and each time you put them in too tight (very easy to do) and without loctite, it's installer error. Fidanza won't warranty anything, and I wouldn't either.

I'm also guessing you're not easy on the car, you don't shift it easily so the amount of torque applied to the clutch when slamming it into gear would shred anything anyway, the clutch isn't rated for that kind of abuse.

Driftastic
08-26-2009, 08:10 AM
just about to purchase a aluminum flywheel for my supra turbo. Kinda scared to now cause the supra is putting down closer to 400 hp. maybe i should just keep the factory flywheel.

DALAZ_68
08-26-2009, 08:32 AM
just about to purchase a aluminum flywheel for my supra turbo. Kinda scared to now cause the supra is putting down closer to 400 hp. maybe i should just keep the factory flywheel.

if it aint broke dont fix it bub...

Def
08-26-2009, 08:42 AM
That's what happens when you thread something into a piece of aluminum without a timesert(or equivalent) and subject it to repeated fully reversed cyclical loading.

Sucks, but I've seen the same thing happen to BMWs with aluminum flywheels that didn't have thread inserts for the PP.

slider2828
08-26-2009, 09:56 AM
EH.... Fidanza's are great... So far I have one clutch job on it, and changing the surface 1 time.... Maybe the next time I should just get a new one... Is there any way to measure the depth of the flywheel threads to make sure they are ok? I would think its pretty hard...

gsracer
08-26-2009, 10:16 AM
First off glad your ok..

There in lies the problem with aluminum flywheels, im actually surprised the flywheel didnt come apart, for that reason i have always used steel/chromemoly flywheels.

I am inclined to agree with busted s13 to say you overtightened the bolts, after all they only take like 32 lb/ft iirc of tq, very easy to do.

Iron_Zenki
08-26-2009, 10:35 AM
:eek2:good thing one got hurt I feel bad for you wallet

S14_Kouki
08-26-2009, 11:18 AM
Iv seen this same thing happen to a supra doing around 750 whp on the dyno at my old shop.

jza240sx
08-26-2009, 11:58 AM
this acually happend to my buddy recently in a turbo vr6 but only a little part of his bell housing came off and your whole bell housing blew up.. good luck fixing it man

T_wei
08-26-2009, 12:33 PM
http://i689.photobucket.com/albums/vv254/4dri4ntxu/Gifs/sweetjesus.gif

^ what he said

Maximamike
08-26-2009, 02:36 PM
I had a Spec stage 3 in my supercharged SVT Focus and the pressure plate snapped in half and spun around taking everything around it out as well. It was aligned directly with my.. well.. you know because it is front wheel drive. Destroyed the clutch and blew the tranny apart as well. I'll see if I can find the pressure plate and take some pics. Scary when that happens, it sounds like the world is coming to an end in your car.

DALAZ_68
08-26-2009, 02:40 PM
i wonder...what looks worst ,this transmission, or the one of the guy who dropped the clutch at 9k rpms on his skyline...decisions decisions

lol

so wait, is the entire motor done, or only sertain parts of it got hit?

rc1honda
08-26-2009, 02:57 PM
Yeah i have seen thas happen before at the drag strip. Scatter shields are the norm nowadays. IIRC there was a famous incident with a famous drag racer. His clutch blew apart and a peice flew out and killed a spectator.

slider2828
08-26-2009, 03:11 PM
block damaged.... he said so head is ok.... but basically its all over pretty much. But i think he overtightened the screws

NISNPWR
08-26-2009, 03:39 PM
First off glad your ok..

There in lies the problem with aluminum flywheels, im actually surprised the flywheel didnt come apart, for that reason i have always used steel/chromemoly flywheels.

I am inclined to agree with busted s13 to say you overtightened the bolts, after all they only take like 32 lb/ft iirc of tq, very easy to do.

Think what you want but the bolts were Torqued to spec. This is the 2nd summer on this clutch/flywheel/pressure plate setup. up until this i have had nothing but good luck with it.

Yeah i have seen thas happen before at the drag strip. Scatter shields are the norm nowadays. IIRC there was a famous incident with a famous drag racer. His clutch blew apart and a peice flew out and killed a spectator.

A friend of mines dad worked on the pit crew for a funny car when he was younger and got hit in the face with a clutch disc while sitting in the stands on day at a race.

b R 3 E z Y x Z e N k i E
08-26-2009, 08:15 PM
Ouchh that looks terrible.

tricky_ab
08-26-2009, 08:37 PM
after all that i would invest a scattered plate just like the other member said.

better safe than sorry.

Quoted for truth!

WagDatto
08-26-2009, 08:46 PM
I'm not sure if this was brought up, or even if it's true of S chassis cars..

My buddy Kelly (XeroX on this forum) had a similar problem with his Fidanza flywheel in his 510. Turns out the OEM bolts for the pressure plate are the wrong thread for the Fidanza. This caused them to work their way out, swing the PP around and knock about a quarter sized hole in the flywheel at DD speeds.

Again, not sure if the same holds true for a 240sx, but always check and double check your shit!!

S14DB
08-26-2009, 09:24 PM
If the pp bolts went the PP would have just popped off the clutch and free spun.

From the picture it looks like the PP separated from the diaphragm ring and ripped it from the flywheel. Notice how the diaphragm is splayed out.

s14unimog
08-27-2009, 12:36 PM
Aluminum flywheels aren't meant to see constant tightening/loosening of the pressure plate, if you've gone through a few clutches and each time you put them in too tight (very easy to do) and without loctite, it's installer error.

I'm also guessing you're not easy on the car, you don't shift it easily so the amount of torque applied to the clutch when slamming it into gear would shred anything anyway, the clutch isn't rated for that kind of abuse.

The FSM doesn't outline using thread locker on the PP bolts...I don't agree with the last statement, The combined shear strength of the PP bolts is not the weak point. If it wasn't rated for that high of a torque spike, we would see the hub fail or the plates slip. I'm guessing the problem lies within the aluminum threading, like you said in the first place.

From the picture it looks like the PP separated from the diaphragm ring and ripped it from the flywheel. Notice how the diaphragm is splayed out.

That's a good point too...

projectRDM
08-27-2009, 03:14 PM
The FSM doesn't outline using thread locker on the PP bolts...I don't agree with the last statement, The combined shear strength of the PP bolts is not the weak point. If it wasn't rated for that high of a torque spike, we would see the hub fail or the plates slip. I'm guessing the problem lies within the aluminum threading, like you said in the first place.

The FSM doesn't specify thread locker because the OE flywheel isn't aluminum. The threat of the bolts backing out after final torque isn't as great, nor is the possibility of the threads becoming damaged from overuse on an OE flywheel.

Matej
08-27-2009, 05:52 PM
Oh no. Even though I only have a slow KA, now I am scared to buy an aluminum flywheel. I was just about to order the Fidanza. Maybe I will buy the XTD chromoly flywheel instead, and save money as well.

Shadowhunter
08-27-2009, 06:09 PM
Dayum, Heard of this stuff on happening on high HP drag cars. That's nut's make sure you use red threadlocker when you get it all back together again,just in case some bolts decided to loosen up on ya.

ZX88
08-27-2009, 06:14 PM
wow boom!ll,l,

NISNPWR
08-27-2009, 06:46 PM
Yeah thanks for all the imput guys.
Im looking into new options now. I can't decide to go twin disc on an sr20 trans with a hardend input shaft. or to save for awhile and go with a z32 tranny.
but then the other option is to do a 2speed power glide and posibly do some wheelies at the track. :)

NISNPWR
08-30-2009, 06:39 PM
Does anyone have a block for sale? and/or a SR20DET bell housing?

mattro
08-30-2009, 07:19 PM
god damn. i have a CC clutch but the oe flywheel. im still going to get a shield for it though, i like my legs.

SR_Vlurs
08-30-2009, 08:16 PM
SHIT that would have hurt man glad ur ok bro

reccakun08
08-30-2009, 08:39 PM
jesus you're lucky it didn't rip thru the floor and into your LEGS.

god damn!

those were my thoughts as well

prang11
08-30-2009, 09:26 PM
Holy shit.....

flamebag16
08-30-2009, 11:20 PM
and this is why you dont helicoil your flywheel..... shits epic.... sticky material

$nicklefritz
08-30-2009, 11:43 PM
God damn.... Mutha fucker

tek_88
08-31-2009, 09:30 AM
dude.....same exact thing happened to me two days ago, except all my flywheel bolts broke off and sent the flywheel+clutch flying to destroy my tranny. And worst of all it all happened with the car under no load just free revving at idle.

BigVinnie
08-31-2009, 09:57 AM
Personally I wouldn't use a fidanza after 400HP. That's just outright not smart.
I mean to make a 2 hp gain on a 500+HP car seems ridiculous to me. At that point its accelerate/hp attribute don't matter like it does for engines under 400HP. Just sounds like some people are greedy when it comes to HP.

I would stick with a chromoly or stock lightened flywheel to be safe.

Teambadrun
08-31-2009, 10:02 AM
Dude that shit if farked up hardcore!
lol at some replys

"your motor and tranny needs a cliff" hahahha best call ever

Do you realise Twin Disc OS Giken clutchs are only rated to 480HP?? i.e 400RWHP. you could probs scretch this to 500-520HP. ~430-440rwhp.

You must be reading on some wack dyno ... any single plate clutch will slip with anymore then ~400rwhp.. even that is pushing it

so i wouldnt be suprised this piece of junk chinese clutch blew up in your face hahah

What turbo are you using for your power figures?

SILVIA_KIDs14.5
08-31-2009, 10:14 AM
two words scatter sheild

NISNPWR
08-31-2009, 10:52 PM
and this is why you dont helicoil your flywheel..... shits epic.... sticky material

Who ever said I helicoiled my flywheel?
Because I never did.

Dude that shit if farked up hardcore!
lol at some replys

"your motor and tranny needs a cliff" hahahha best call ever

Do you realise Twin Disc OS Giken clutchs are only rated to 480HP?? i.e 400RWHP. you could probs scretch this to 500-520HP. ~430-440rwhp.

You must be reading on some wack dyno ... any single plate clutch will slip with anymore then ~400rwhp.. even that is pushing it

so i wouldnt be suprised this piece of junk chinese clutch blew up in your face hahah

What turbo are you using for your power figures?

I have ran this clutch on one of my other cars also that ran 480rwhp all day and had over 100 launches on it and it never slipped at all.
Plus I have had it on this car for 2 years at 575rwhp driving it daily and going to the track several times and It never slipped on me once. I dont know where your finding your info but I know from using it that it held just fine.

steve shadows
09-01-2009, 12:48 AM
yeah steel or chromolly flywheels for that kind of power please, I would NEVER run an aluminum flywheel with that kind of power, you are lucky to not be hurt, I'm running a JUN Chromolly Flywheel, with an RPS Clutch, good for 728ftlbs of torque. never had a problem i absolutely love the set up.

Beat me too it...

STILL THOUGH...

The types of claims that Fidenza always makes about how indestructable their gear is and why it's worth the extra spend I would still take it up with them and see what they say.

That is obviously some sort of Design Failure not User Install error, as long as you are telling us the truth.

mbmbmb23
09-01-2009, 01:09 AM
Glad you're okay.

kalypso123
09-01-2009, 01:46 AM
wow the flywheel looks like it was shot with bullets... unbelievable.

Om1kron
09-01-2009, 02:20 AM
First thing's first, grammar and spelling make me wonder if it was installed right. Just saying, impressions and all.

I love you man... I seriously was going to post the same exact thing :ddog:

Teambadrun
09-01-2009, 12:06 PM
Who ever said I helicoiled my flywheel?
Because I never did.

I have ran this clutch on one of my other cars also that ran 480rwhp all day and had over 100 launches on it and it never slipped at all.
Plus I have had it on this car for 2 years at 575rwhp driving it daily and going to the track several times and It never slipped on me once. I dont know where your finding your info but I know from using it that it held just fine.
I believe you. i know some guys who have 5 puck clutches ( exedy ) and are making huge power
but there cars dont run such large/grippy tyres
maybe this comes into affect allot more.. then the power you are making?
Cheers

240sxvaj
09-01-2009, 12:18 PM
Crazy shit!

NISNPWR
09-01-2009, 04:12 PM
I believe you. i know some guys who have 5 puck clutches ( exedy ) and are making huge power
but there cars dont run such large/grippy tyres
maybe this comes into affect allot more.. then the power you are making?
Cheers

The tires I was runing that night were a 235/60/15 MT street radial. They hook like no other.

The car made 578rwhp and 446tq at 27psi.

The night I broke it I was only running 22psi. That is about 450whp.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b24/Boostin247/Zachnew1.jpg

I love you man... I seriously was going to post the same exact thing :ddog:

Ok I get it, my spelling and grammar could use some work. But whatevs....