PDA

View Full Version : A whole host of electrical gremilns. Help?

LS240
08-22-2009, 10:57 PM
So my S13 has a bunch of little electrical issues, all inherited from previous owners. Basically, my stereo doesn't work, headlights won't go down, guages don't have illumination, and the HUD doesn't work.

The stereo is an aftermarket Alpine unit, and it has power and functions fully on the face, there's just no sound coming out of the speakers. Every once in a while it will work for 10 seconds or so before going out again, and while it's working it sounds fine. Strangely though, sometimes when I fiddle with the headlight up/down button or the guage illumination level switch, it'll trigger said temporary functonality.

The headlights are stuck up, and after manually lowering the headlights I know for a fact it's not a motor issue as they pop right up on command. They just won't go back down. The relays all seem fine, unless we're not testing them properly.

The guages just don't have any backlighting at all, and haven't since I bought the car. The clock and little red warning lights work and that's it. The HUD simply doesn't function.

My Father and I have spent most of today trying to chase these issues with the help(if you can call it that) of a Chilton manual, but so far haven't gotten to the root of the issue. We'll tear back into it tomorrow, but I figured I'd ask here to see if someone could lead us in the right direction. The stereo issue really just seems like a short, but the fact that messing with switches that would normally control the other functions that just happen to be not working makes me think they're somehow connected. Could whomever installed this stereo simply have tied into a power source they shouldn't have or something like that?

I'm at a loss because wiring isn't exactly my strong suit so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for taking the time to read.
-Layne

jamg
08-22-2009, 10:59 PM
I've got those problems too lol

but i'm not worried about them, until i install an SR in it.

s14canyoncity
08-23-2009, 12:22 AM
So my S13 has a bunch of little electrical issues, all inherited from previous owners. Basically, my stereo doesn't work, headlights won't go down, guages don't have illumination, and the HUD doesn't work.

The stereo is an aftermarket Alpine unit, and it has power and functions fully on the face, there's just no sound coming out of the speakers. Every once in a while it will work for 10 seconds or so before going out again, and while it's working it sounds fine. Strangely though, sometimes when I fiddle with the headlight up/down button or the guage illumination level switch, it'll trigger said temporary functonality.

The headlights are stuck up, and after manually lowering the headlights I know for a fact it's not a motor issue as they pop right up on command. They just won't go back down. The relays all seem fine, unless we're not testing them properly.

The guages just don't have any backlighting at all, and haven't since I bought the car. The clock and little red warning lights work and that's it. The HUD simply doesn't function.

My Father and I have spent most of today trying to chase these issues with the help(if you can call it that) of a Chilton manual, but so far haven't gotten to the root of the issue. We'll tear back into it tomorrow, but I figured I'd ask here to see if someone could lead us in the right direction. The stereo issue really just seems like a short, but the fact that messing with switches that would normally control the other functions that just happen to be not working makes me think they're somehow connected. Could whomever installed this stereo simply have tied into a power source they shouldn't have or something like that?

I'm at a loss because wiring isn't exactly my strong suit so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for taking the time to read.
-Layne

radio issue- remove the radio and check if the wires are spliced in to the correct wires. or if its using a molex harness redo the wiring from molex to radio harness (probably a bad crimping)

Gauge no light- if you remove the radio does the gauge light up correctly? from what u said about messing with the button and all of a sudden the gauge light work sound like the radio mite be causing most of the issue.

HUD not working-could just be busted .... unsure on how to diag this problem other than checking the current/signal and connections or trying another one.

Headlights- hmmm this i have no idea ... i do remember that happening on my S13 back then just unsure what i did to fix it. ... f_ck it Silvia front end convert,......

lazysk8er2
08-23-2009, 12:29 AM
sounds like u have a grounding issue and check your fuses

socaldrifter13
08-23-2009, 12:49 AM
Gauge no lighting could be the white box in your kick panel on the driver side they tend to short out

LS240
08-23-2009, 02:10 PM
Gauge no light- if you remove the radio does the gauge light up correctly? from what u said about messing with the button and all of a sudden the gauge light work sound like the radio mite be causing most of the issue.

No the gauge lights don't work at all. When I mess with the gauge light switch it actually makes the radio work every once in a while. Same with the headlight retract switch. Sorry, I probably didn't make that clear enough in my post.

Silvia front end is coming at some point, but I currently have no job so that's gonna wait a while. Just trying to do the free stuff right now to make it more usable as a daily.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

LS240
08-23-2009, 03:49 PM
Excuse the double post:

Just looked at the HUD good for the first time and it's pretty obvious why it isn't working; it isn't plugged in lol. The plug is just dangling freely. Where does it plug into though? I couldn't find it.

cole d
08-31-2009, 10:52 PM
Alright your headlight motors could be the problem my passenger side light would not go down, but would pop up no problem. I replaced the motor with a good one and now it works like it should. Do a search for pop up headlight problems there is a couple if things you can check that will help you to get rid of some of your gremlins. Also remove your dimmer switch and replace the tiny bulb on the side of it, that acts as a fuse for some of your dash lights. My aftermarket radio turns on and off when it wants too so I'm battling that right now. Good Luck