PDA

View Full Version : Flashing side marker lights with turn signal?

twitchy
04-25-2003, 11:41 PM
I cant remember seeing this topic on here and its hard to search for, but does anyone know how, or have their side lights flashing when you signal (you know the orange and yellow ones on each side of the car?)

or does anyone know how to do it?

or if its possible?

misnomer
04-26-2003, 12:02 AM
It's possible, would involve rewiring those lights into the turn signals. You may need to beef up the wires or fuses, I'm not sure how much power they will burn.

Definitely doable, probably not too tricky. I honestly can't recall this topic being covered before.

twitchy
04-26-2003, 12:08 AM
yeah, im wondering if you need extra hardware tho.. since the side lights are always on, and the front signal bulbs flash dim-bright-dim-bright but they use the special dual filament bulb.. and the rear ones only flash.. Looks like I need a wiring diagram!

Dousan_PG
04-26-2003, 03:08 AM
buy an FSM (factory service manual)
study the wiring diagrams
you better know wiring and soldering and basic electronics

do it.

syco3d
04-26-2003, 08:12 AM
It's insanely easy to do. Search for a thread called "blinky blinky". All you need it a couple feet of wire, some inline connectors, and a few simple tools.

hookedup240
04-26-2003, 09:16 AM
that's great i'm going to do that to my car, maybe tomorrow.

But i was just wondering if anyone else has done this to their car too. I made it so my front parking/turn signal lights are no longer parking lights but only turn signals.

Just wondering if anyone else has done this, if you haven't and are interested PM me and i'll tell you how to do it

twitchy
04-26-2003, 11:48 AM
Okay, saw the blinky blinky article, but its not so thourough.... does anyone know what the end result of that is?? Can you only do the front, or both front and rear, and do you still have side lights on when your not signaling?

See, I want mine to be on, as they are usually, but at the same time i want them to blink off-on-off like that when i signal and then stay on continuously when i cancel the signal..

syco3d
04-26-2003, 11:57 AM
why the **** did you post the same thing on two threads????

And what in that article wasn't thourough??? Yes the side markers stay on, and also blink when your turn signal is activated, yes you can do the back as well..just find which light and wire supplies the volts and tap it, just that same as the front.

twitchy
04-26-2003, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by syco3d
why the **** did you post the same thing on two threads????

And what in that article wasn't thourough??? Yes the side markers stay on, and also blink when your turn signal is activated, yes you can do the back as well..just find which light and wire supplies the volts and tap it, just that same as the front.

easy tiger!
I posted it twice to make sure it was on both threads if anyone saw one and not the other.

I took one of the sidemarkers off, and I cant find the green wire he talks about anywhere. I still want to do it, but I didnt think I got enough detail from the instructions there, so I dont know what to do!

Was the instructions on the blinky aritcle for an S13 first of all?

syco3d
04-26-2003, 02:17 PM
look at the harness for the turn signals...there should be three wires, one of them is green. Take out your side markers, the dark/black wire is the ground. Cut that, splice it into the green wire via some connectors/wire...and u have a blinking side marker.

Notice I said 'splice'. Don't cut the green wire, just 'attach' the sidemarker ground using an inline connector.

EDIT: Even if the plans weren't origianlly for a S13, the instructions worked fine for mine.

twitchy
04-26-2003, 11:54 PM
Originally posted by syco3d
l

Notice I said 'splice'. Don't cut the green wire, just 'attach' the sidemarker ground using an inline connector.

EDIT: Even if the plans weren't origianlly for a S13, the instructions worked fine for mine.

K thanks for the help, Im going to go try again tomorrow, thing is that my car is oilsprayed every year so all the wires are like covered in black grease, no rust but hard to make out the color..

I dont get what you mean, dont cut the green wire, you want the green one and the ground to be sharing the same current right? So instead of cutting you mean use one of those T things?? (it has little spike things on it that pierce the insulation and contact the wire inside?) or?

so let me see if I got this straight.. the ground wire..thats spliced to the green one.. which end do I attach to the green one, the end going to the light or the end going to the ground?

Again, thanks for your help, its much appreciated....sorry I just have trouble "picturing" things!

syco3d
04-27-2003, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by twitchy

So instead of cutting you mean use one of those T things?? (it has little spike things on it that pierce the insulation and contact the wire inside?

so let me see if I got this straight.. the ground wire..thats spliced to the green one.. which end do I attach to the green one, the end going to the light or the end going to the ground?

Yeah that discription of the connector is correct...and the ground wire coming from the side marker is the one that you attach to the green wire.

Ghettokracker71
03-29-2004, 12:40 PM
Don't cut the green wire

:( :( :( Okay,so what do I do if I cut the green wire? I cut the green wire(middle wire going into OEM-quick disconnect thingy) after the the harness on my front left blinker (bumper light)and now whenever I hook it up,with or without the wire going to the sidemarker....NONE of my blinkers work,or my hazard lights! I fucked up major! I went to radioshack and the guys had never heard of a "t-tap" so I bought this inline tap thing that makes you cut the wire,I had forgotten about not cutting it....DAMNIT!!!!

PLEASE HELP!!!!

Sorry to bring up an old thread.

EDIT:After trying the green wire in the inline tap with the RED wire(wire to sidemarker) the blinkers didn't work,but the lights do when I turn on my parking/regular lights. I tried reconnecting the green wire without the red wire and the blinker wouldn't work either.

I did the bumper light first,after I had cut the green wire and ran the red(to sidemarker) wire,the blinker still worked before I conected the sidemarker but after I hooked up the sidemarker to the wire from the bumper light(red wire) I lost the blinkers/hazards.

Ghettokracker71
04-02-2004, 01:53 PM
Replaced cut wiring harness.

Spliced without cutting the new one.

Still blows my fuses sky-high:(

Any help would be appreciated.

My blinkers/hazards work fine however my sidemarkers don't blink :(

twitchy
04-03-2004, 03:04 AM
well

blowing fuses is cause you have a short so make sure that your connections arent grounding out. basically, if it makes it easier for you, your SPLICING the AUXILLIARY power that LIGHTS THE SECOND FILLAMENT of the front signal bulb into the MAIN POWER to the side lights and same thing goes for the back

note the lights WONT stay on on the sides they only BLINK with the signals.. and a Ttap is also called a vampire clip

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/forumfun/positive9.jpg

Ghettokracker71
04-03-2004, 10:57 AM
well

blowing fuses is cause you have a short so make sure that your connections arent grounding out. basically, if it makes it easier for you, your SPLICING the AUXILLIARY power that LIGHTS THE SECOND FILLAMENT of the front signal bulb into the MAIN POWER to the side lights and same thing goes for the back

note the lights WONT stay on on the sides they only BLINK with the signals.. and a Ttap is also called a vampire clip

hmm....what could cause that I wonder....??? I know they only blink,thats what I'm trying to do,lol!

I used a squeeze type 3 way connector,all I have to do is strip the insulation to thegreen wire and...etc

mmdb
04-03-2004, 12:00 PM
Just a note it'll probably be better to use a relay for this application. That'll solve the problem of having the side markers just for blinkers but rather have them to stay on, and blink whenever the primary bumper signals blink.

You can find info how to wire up a relay at the12volt.com.

twitchy
04-03-2004, 12:18 PM
i would like this.

Ghettokracker71
04-03-2004, 02:53 PM
good idea,but I don't want my car to be the 'guinea pig' lol

DriftnSmokn
04-04-2004, 01:09 AM
I know this thread was kinda old..but i have my side blinkers flash as my turn signald...so it works =)

Ghettokracker71
04-05-2004, 03:48 PM
I know this thread was kinda old..but i have my side blinkers flash as my turn signald...so it works =)
apparently doesn't work for me lol

twitchy
04-05-2004, 05:42 PM
ghetto, its still not working for you???

HKrpS13
04-05-2004, 05:55 PM
When you do this the side doesn't blink at the same time as the front. When front is on, the side is off, and when the side is on the front is off. So it kind of rotates.

Ghettokracker71
04-05-2004, 06:00 PM
ghetto, its still not working for you???
Nope,whenever I hook the 'tap wire' (wire from blinker->sidemarker) it blows my blinker fuse and my hazard/parking light fuse....I traced the wire to make sure nothing was grounding it out or anything too :ugh:

EDIT:The sidemarkers I've got in the front are Mercedes Benz ML320 ones,if that makes any difference.

Ghettokracker71
04-05-2004, 06:03 PM
When you do this the side doesn't blink at the same time as the front. When front is on, the side is off, and when the side is on the front is off. So it kind of rotates.
I was wondering if they blinked at the same time or...whatever,yeah,thats even cooler IMHO

Makes me wish mine worked (even more than I do ,already:()

twitchy
04-05-2004, 11:45 PM
Just a note it'll probably be better to use a relay for this application. That'll solve the problem of having the side markers just for blinkers but rather have them to stay on, and blink whenever the primary bumper signals blink.

You can find info how to wire up a relay at the12volt.com.

I checked out that site....do you know exactly where to find that section on the relay..im pretty useless with stuff like that

Ghettokracker71
04-20-2004, 10:04 AM
I just realized something. The wire I was using to run from the blinker to the sidemarker is single strand(one gaint peice of metal under the insulation) as opposed to stranded(bunch of wires) wire....could that have anything to do why it wouldn't work for me? Or maybe the ML320 lights have something to do with it ?

twitchy
04-20-2004, 02:15 PM
well your single strand wire could be cracked.....

i cant believe you cant get it its so fucking easy!!

Ghettokracker71
04-20-2004, 04:25 PM
well your single strand wire could be cracked.....

i cant believe you cant get it its so fucking easy!!

I know thats what fuckign kills me !!:(:(:(!!!! My tap wire apparently does something because when its hooked up,it blows my fuses:(

Did you splice in the line before or after the wiring harness into the bumper lights? (before the snap connector? or after it?)

FRpilot
01-04-2005, 09:57 PM
so i read this old thread and the thread "alternating turn signals" and im still kind of lost. this thread says to cut the black wire on the side marker and tap it into the green one on the turn signals and according to this thread it will make the side markers stay on all the time but will also act as signals. the "alternate turn signals" thread contradicts this thread and says that this wire setup will cause the turn signals to alternate blink. so this is why im confused, but after thinking about it, dont you need a dual filament bulb to make the side markers function like this? im trying to set it up so my side markers blink with the turn signals but stay on when the signals aren't on. i dont want alternate blinking.
so is going dual filament and making some custom 3 prong conector the only way to go for my setup? or utilizing relays (which is more of a headache than i want to go through for something so simple). first of all, am i right in my reasoning that the setup i just described is for alternating signals?

syco3d
01-04-2005, 10:22 PM
If u follow my previous instructions - sidemarkers WILL blink in alternation with your regular blinkies, and they WILL stay on as is normal when u turn on your lights/parking lights.

If u don't want them to alternate flashing however....I have no f'in clue.

FRpilot
01-04-2005, 11:09 PM
so looks like ill have to go dual filament bulb with 'custom' socket. ahhh! more pain and headaches...

Ghettokracker71
01-05-2005, 08:37 AM
Hey I never got that damn blinky blinky shit to work for me......Damn ML320 sidemarkers. I still haven't seen anybody sucessfully do it w/the benz sidemarkers.

twitchy
01-05-2005, 10:06 PM
ressurrection!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yea bitches, its back....ghetto, honestly you cant get it? i will draw you a nice picture

what is your email address?? Remember its very hard to make the sidemarkers stay on AND blink when you signal...oh poop...i used the F word in this thread 18 months ago when i started it......could i still get pinked? :yum:

chrisjakcj
08-03-2011, 04:51 PM
does any one know how to do the rear

hulkster_s13
08-03-2011, 04:56 PM
6yrs old bro

chrisjakcj
08-03-2011, 06:44 PM
6yrs old bro

Ohh didnt realize, i was using mobile and it really sucks on the psp. But i did my front ones and just wondering how to do the rears.