PDA

View Full Version : Haz anyone installed Oil Catch Can on KA?

T_wei
08-18-2009, 03:32 PM
During a drift event.....After several runs it started to make knocking sound for a bit then it stopped... then in the morning it'll start knocking again only when i start the car. I think it's prolly my engine oil being sloshed around. Now searched and it seemed that people with SR and RB install catch cans. Has anyone had the same problem as me?
Kazama Auto S14 240SX Cross Flow Oil Catch Tank (http://www.more-japan.com/product.php?productid=17281&cat=952&page=1)
http://www.more-japan.com/files/t_17280.jpg (http://www.more-japan.com/product.php?productid=17281&cat=952&page=1)

ILoveJDM
08-18-2009, 03:40 PM
catch can is not your problem.

completely different.

Sileighty_85
08-18-2009, 04:21 PM
knock? as in a loud audiable knock like when ever you rev the engine it gets louder and faster?

If so the you have spun a bearing

fliprayzin240sx
08-18-2009, 04:22 PM
And an oil catch can will fix your problem how? Do you even understand the reason/need for having an oil catch can? It does just that, catches oil. Used primarily for boosted cars that have blow by from the crank case. Helps keep oil from getting into the intake tracts for SRs.

Since you're NA, doubt you're getting blow by for you to need this. If are getting so much blow by that you need an oil catch can, I'd be surprised that the car is even running.

You said you're knocking...does it sound like from the bottom or the top of the engine. If its rod knock, time for you to start looking for another engine...

Bigsyke
08-18-2009, 04:25 PM
Catch can is to prevent oil/fuel vapors from getting back into the intake by the use of a steel mesh to capture an atomized fuel mist. It does nothing to affect performance on a stock engine, only to capture blow by from most high performance NA/FI applications.

The only way its benificial is when you can install a second 3/8ths fitting and place 2x OE PCV valves in the can -along with another 3/8ths npt port to directly go to the block, and keep the OEM Valve cover restrictor to increase vaccuum.

Now a clogged PCV valve coulve caused your engine knocking because there was no negative pressure in the crankcase to evacuate the mistified fuel vapors - thus washing the walls of the crank and cylinders, thinning your oil out over time enough to provide almost no lubrication properties. Even though the FSM claims the pressure will be vented from the valve cover durring high loads, the fuel vapors still cling to what evers in the way, enough unburnt fuel and your essentially diluting your oil, and anything but amsoil will directly fail.

It coulve also blow out any kind of RTV or seal/gasket, causing your engine to never be in a vaccuum state inside the crankcase, thus rendering the PCV system uneffective. Send in your oil samples to blackstone for a OA, they will tell you your fuel dilution % for you to compare at BITOG.

Take off your valve cover intake hose, blow into it and see if there is pressure build up - you need a completely sealed engine, thats why there is a vacuum restrictor on all nissan engines KA is in the intake - valve cover hose

T_wei
08-19-2009, 10:32 AM
Catch can is to prevent oil/fuel vapors from getting back into the intake by the use of a steel mesh to capture an atomized fuel mist. It does nothing to affect performance on a stock engine, only to capture blow by from most high performance NA/FI applications.

The only way its benificial is when you can install a second 3/8ths fitting and place 2x OE PCV valves in the can -along with another 3/8ths npt port to directly go to the block, and keep the OEM Valve cover restrictor to increase vaccuum.

Now a clogged PCV valve coulve caused your engine knocking because there was no negative pressure in the crankcase to evacuate the mistified fuel vapors - thus washing the walls of the crank and cylinders, thinning your oil out over time enough to provide almost no lubrication properties. Even though the FSM claims the pressure will be vented from the valve cover durring high loads, the fuel vapors still cling to what evers in the way, enough unburnt fuel and your essentially diluting your oil, and anything but amsoil will directly fail.

It coulve also blow out any kind of RTV or seal/gasket, causing your engine to never be in a vaccuum state inside the crankcase, thus rendering the PCV system uneffective. Send in your oil samples to blackstone for a OA, they will tell you your fuel dilution % for you to compare at BITOG.

Take off your valve cover intake hose, blow into it and see if there is pressure build up - you need a completely sealed engine, thats why there is a vacuum restrictor on all nissan engines KA is in the intake - valve cover hose

ah i see i see, some guy at the event i thought was pretty knowledgeable strolled over and told me ya sounds like your oil was being sloshed around may need a catch can.....

spooled240
08-19-2009, 10:49 AM
you're gonna be pretty disapointed when you install that catch can and realize it didn't fix anything

T_wei
08-19-2009, 04:06 PM
well okay let me make it more clear... After several runs it started to make knocking sound for a bit then it stopped... then in the morning it'll start knocking again only when i start the car.

Sileighty_85
08-19-2009, 04:31 PM
well okay let me make it more clear... After several runs it started to make knocking sound for a bit then it stopped... then in the morning it'll start knocking again only when i start the car.

knock or a tick?

as in a loud audiable knock like when ever you rev the engine it gets louder and faster?

hOngsterr
08-19-2009, 04:48 PM
dude,
record the sound and post it.

RastaS13
08-19-2009, 04:53 PM
dude,
record the sound and post it.
i second that

Skyn
08-19-2009, 05:48 PM
dude,