PDA

View Full Version : Nismo Power Bar legal in SoloII?

sph33r
04-24-2003, 08:31 AM
Ive been pouring over the rules for STS trying to find out what's legal and what's not. Today my 2 goals were to find whether the aftermarket TC rods and Nismo power brace were legal. I've been able to find that the TC rods are not legal.. but the power bar I'm not seeing anything that would make it illegal.

Anyone see something I don't?

AKADriver
04-24-2003, 09:48 AM
The STS rules only specifically permit "strut bars" for chassis bracing, but the definition is somewhat loose:

"Strut bars are permitted with all types of suspension. Strut bars may be mounted only transversely across the car from upper right to upper left suspension mounting point and from lower right to lower left suspension mounting point. No other configuration is permitted. Additional holes may be drilled for mounting bolts. Only bolt-on attachment is permitted."

IMO it wouldn't be legal, as it *entirely replaces* two of the suspension mounting brackets. That would be one of the "other configurations" that's not permitted.

Now, I think under that rule, you COULD fabricate a brace that bolted in between the original stock TC rod brackets.

MovinUp-1
04-24-2003, 07:53 PM
I agree. The Power brace is not legal because it replaces the mounting points of the T/C rods. A bar like the cusco tension bar that bolts between the t/c rods is legal.

sykikchimp
04-25-2003, 07:50 AM
yeah.. the cusco or Kazama peices should be legal.

sph33r
04-25-2003, 10:51 AM
I apparently overlooked the whole meaning of that sentence from the rule book. Thanks a lot for the analysis guys!

pruto
04-26-2003, 08:25 AM
DOH!

oh, wait, i run in DSP, doesn't matter...

"Spoilers and cosmetic trim pieces are permitted. Side skirts may not be used. "

oh, great, sideskirts aren't allowed in DSP... can't i just tell them i have factory sideskirts... factory Japan that is...

z brakes prevents me from running in STS, so that leaves STX. to run in STX i can't run my z tt rear rims (8" or under rims). Great, ok, thats it, i'm running my drift wheels at autocross.

:(

Dave
05-04-2003, 11:48 AM
For STS/X you can't have any transverse braces(that aren't strut bars). Meaning the power brace and the Do-Luck X-brace are illegal. Depending on the other competitors feelings in your region, you may be able to run them without problems. A friend of mine runs a Do-luck cross brace in STS, but we don't mind. IF he were to show up to a ProSolo or a National Tour event, he would probably be protested. So, my point is you may be able to get away with it at local events, but don't show up to any tours or pros or divisionals w/ them on. Adjustable T/C rods are illegal in STS/X too, cuz they "change suspension geometry". Another thing to remember for SCCA, if the rules don't say you can then you can't.

David J.
'89 240sx
Rocky Mountain Region

LanceS13
05-04-2003, 01:09 PM
17.8.G.
"Strut bars are permitted with all types of suspension. Strut bars may be mounted only transversely across the car from upper right to upper left suspension mounting point and from lower right to lower left suspension mounting point. No other configuration is permitted. Additional holes may be drilled for mounting bolts. Only bolt-on attachment is permitted."

If the bar connects a single lower left suspension mounting point to a single right one, then it's legal. However, "mounted" to a suspension mounting point should not be interpretted as replacing a suspension mounting point, so it's not legal. Sounds like the Cusco one is, though.

240Degrees
10-27-2003, 08:09 PM
reviving old thread, i know.

http://www.nismoparts.com/catalog/?section=230

nismoparts.com says it's legal. Is it talking about the same nismo power brace? It has no picture. I know that ultimately, one must consult SCCA and they decide if it's legal or not, but this IS the nismo power brace, right?

MovinUp-1
10-28-2003, 11:55 AM
The power brace is not legal for SCCA Solo II in stock, street prepared, or the street classes (sts, stx, sm). No matter what someone that is trying to sell them tells you. It can be used in prepared and modified classes.