PDA

View Full Version : Suspension buildup time..... Options and more options....

Joe_M
04-23-2003, 09:02 PM
It's time to ditch the 4x4 look on my coupe, here is what I am looking to do. Drop the fenders down closer to the tire, but not on top of it.... maybe about and inch or so of wheel gap, something just to take out all the fender gap. Something like how my Civic Hatch sat on Eibach Sportlines....
http://www.sidefx.org/photos/picKLE-cache/alumni/joe_mangus/dsc00009_640.jpg

Comfort: Daily Driver, not a racer.... Plus I like my kidneys where they are. I might take it out to the auto-x every now and then, but its mostly going to be for street driving.

Performance: I want it a bit firmer, just to take the Lincoln Continental feel out of it when I throw it into a turn a bit hot, but like I said, nothing kidney jarring.

These are the springs I have in mind.....
Eibach Sportlines
Tein S-Tech's
Whiteline

Shocks:
KYB-GR2's.... only 200 shipped from Summitracing. Pretty much dead set on this choice.

Now for the hard part.... bushing replacement.
136k on the chassis, and the bushings are bound to be shot. Does Energy Suspension or Prothene make a kit for the S13? I saw it listed for the S14, but no S13.

What would be a good starting point to start replacing bushings if I have to do it one by one? Like I say, I want to take the slop out of it, so I assume Sub Frame Bushings or Washers would be a good starting point. What about upgrading the T/C rod bushings to firm up the steering response a bit? How serious is the "breaking lower control arm" problem with Poly bushings in the T/C rods?

Sway Bar Bushings:
Probably going to use the Whiteline bushings since they are affordable and seem to perform well.

Sway Bar:
Stock seems ok for now, but what is a good upgrade for the stockies? How big is TOO big that it starts tearing out the subframe?

Rim offset:
Planning on using the stock 7 spoke SE alloys for now until I can track down some meshies that I like, but I want a bit more track in it since the +40 offset looks weak as hell. Running 10mm spacers front and rear will probably do the trick. Everyone seems to agree that the H&R spacers are the best, but how safe is using a bolt on spacer as opposed to just 2 5mm "spacer" spacers and extended studs?

Studs:
Any other options for extended studs besides Nismo? 80 bucks an axle seems a bit excessive right now.

Or should I just chuck the Spring/Shock combo and get the Tein Super Street Coilovers for 750 bucks. I like the ride height adjustability, and I really don't need the dampening adjustment or I would have chose to go for the AGX's over the GR-2's.

Sorry for all these n00b questions, I come from the Honduh crowd, so this is my first journey in a RWD suspension and I want to do it right the first time to save on headaches.

Thanks for all the help guys and gals.....

Joe

uiuc240
04-23-2003, 09:56 PM
Dude, you need to SEARCH for this info...but I'll get you started.

Springs: Whiteline/Eibach/ST/kg-mm/Tein S-Tech are all good options. Pick one

Shocks: KYB AGX is good...Koni is better if you have the coin (I did). Those GR-2s are ass.

Bushings: Whiteline makes and sells all of them. www.whiteline.com.au Fronts are super easy. Rears are a major pain...I still have all the rear bushings sitting in a box. I'll put them in this summer.

Sway Bar: Whiteline/ST are both good. Whiteline clears more exhausts

Offset: This is so subjective. A 15x6" stock rim will need about a 30mm spacer to sit "flush"

Spacers: Do not stack spacers. Buy the thickness you need. H&R is best, but they cost a lot because they are hubcentric. Is this a feature you want?

Studs: You can get longer studs from ARP too. Check the thread pitch...you may need new lugs.

***Cheap coilovers are worse than spending the same money on springs and shocks. Don't do it***

That's all I'll type for now. Time to do your homework yourself :) Oh, and here is a pic of my car on Whiteline springs, Koni shocks, and a set of 17x7 +40 wheels (i know the offset sucks)

http://www.students.uiuc.edu/~edjohnsn/plain.jpg

Eric

240Driver39
04-23-2003, 10:06 PM
well he hit it pretty good, here some pics if ur interested of my agx whiteline combo, i like this setup a lot

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid60/pde8b028137b248f9ca9252332f8df361/fc48780e.jpg
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid60/p752d8e1668c764625ae58e665e2086c6/fc48780c.jpg
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid60/pff80621f70da2594e4a73b9ce316bd73/fc487809.jpg

there ya go

mrmephistopheles
04-24-2003, 07:20 AM
I dunno, guys.. to me it seems like he did search, or at least do some homework... I mean, it's not as though he asked "y0!! i n33d t0 g3t m3 s0m3 0f th@t jDm tYtE f3nDeR gAp, y0!!"
Anyway, if you DO search, you'll probably find alot more pics of different combos, and I'm sure one will fit your needs.

uiuc240
04-24-2003, 07:59 AM
Well, if he *did* do an extensive search, he could have found almost ALL of my answers to the previous questions. Suspension is one of the things we talk about here incessantly.

But whatevers.

Eric

89s132b
04-24-2003, 03:28 PM
I like both whitlines and eibach sportlines. But I would not pair them to the GR2's. GR2's are good non adjustables but cannot handle a 2" drop. If you are deadset on GR2's ge the eibach prokit. Prokits are very nice but leave you with quite a bit of gap.

hope this helps

sykikchimp
04-24-2003, 04:00 PM
You should understand the GR2's are intended as Stock replacements. Not upgrades. They aren't really built to handle increased spring rates, or lowered ride heights. You can do it, but you'll look like a Honda on Cut springs bouncing around.

The AGX will work well for you. The Koni's are valved more aggresively, and will ride a bit more rough. Tokico may also have some good options for you.

I would find a set of springs in your price range around the 3kg/mm weight somewhere in the spring archive that fits your budget.

As far as swaybars.. there aren't any sold in the US that you would have to worry about LCA damage. Whiteline is the only adjustable bar set you can get.

If your not lowering the car a lot, then poly bushings will work fine for your front T/C rods. Just MAKE SURE when installing them that you use LOTS of the bushing grease ANYWHERE metal contacts the bushings. Personally Good pillowball T/C rods are worth every penny. The ability to give yourself additional caster is a great thing. More Caster = GOOD.

As far as the rear, the more rubber bushings you replace the better. I think the best one's to replace first are the Rear Upper Control Arm bushings, to be replaced with camber correction bushings. Lowering the 240 hurts the available suspension travel a lot, and screws with the dynamic negative camber available. Once lowered, fix that negative rear camber to about -1 to -1.25.

Also the Subframe bushings.. This is a major point of awkward handling on the 240. The squish and squirm causing all sorts of weird things to happen to your alignment during a corner. Either get some of the Subframe spacers (what I use) or some actual poly subframe bushings.

The other stuff was covered fairly well by eric, just thought I would add to the Objective stuff.

-charles

Joe_M
04-25-2003, 06:43 AM
thanks

andrave
04-25-2003, 01:20 PM
I was faced with around the same budget and wanted the same thing... I searched and chose to go with Tein S tech springs, KYB AGX shocks, and White line bushings for the front. Most of my stock rear rubber bushings are still in very good shape, but eventually I want to replace the upper control arms with pillowball units or maybe just go with whiteline eccentric camber bolt/bushings.
For sway bars I would like to upgrade the rear bar to a HICAS or JDM sway bar with whiteline donuts, the front I would like to add whiteline donuts. I've heard the whiteline sway bars are nice but maybe not as durable.. the adjustability makes them a nice option though. I have heard the suspension technique bars are pretty tail happy. I found most of the information to make my decision doing a search, if you search for specific products you will probably turn up a lot more testimonials. I should have my car bolted back together next week or so, but there are already reviews from 90 million other people with similar combos.