PDA

View Full Version : HELP ME! A/C or FAN PROBLEM

bpark919
08-13-2009, 12:38 PM
So the other day, i was driving down the freeway with the ac off. all of a sudden, i feel a BOOOM right under me, and i see something fly out from under my car :( i take it to a shop, and they said that the AC compressor is bad, and that little front plate off of it basically broke off, probably because the guy that did my ac job didnt screw it back in properly (i paid 50 bucks to convert the ac system and recharge). but the funny thing is...

THE FAN/AC WHATEVER IT IS WILL NOT TURN OFF! even when the fan is off, ac is not off, air blows out of the vents. i cant figure out why!!!! so i just keep it on defrost, and my defrost is on 24/7 haha. is this a big problem? im planning on replacing my ac compressor next weekend, has anyone ever encountered this problem before? thanks!

projectRDM
08-13-2009, 02:00 PM
The clutch on the compressor falling off has nothing to do with an R134a conversion. The securing nut was just probably loose and finally gave way. I've seen two other Schassis cars do the same thing.

How much air is blowing out of the vents? If the lever is set to fresh air it will always blow, even with the fan off, as air is being pulled from outside through the vents. All cars do this. If the fan is actually blowing with the switch off, the blower resistor is bad.

bpark919
08-13-2009, 02:46 PM
um... it pretty much feels like the heater is on? lol. would fixing the ac compressor fix the blower resistor? or is that more work? -__- thank you!!

projectRDM
08-14-2009, 12:20 PM
um... it pretty much feels like the heater is on? lol. would fixing the ac compressor fix the blower resistor? or is that more work? -__- thank you!!

They're two different parts. How can repairing one fix the other?

bpark919
08-14-2009, 12:31 PM
Haha thanks... I feel like an idiot. but one last question: would that front part (I think you said the clutch) on the compressor falling off lead to me losing ac but not heat?

projectRDM
08-14-2009, 02:38 PM
Haha thanks... I feel like an idiot. but one last question: would that front part (I think you said the clutch) on the compressor falling off lead to me losing ac but not heat?

Yes. The clutch on the compressor is what engages the compressor to begin pumping refrigerant. When it's off/not engaged there is no refrigerant being pumped through the evaporator core. With the clutch missing the compressor will not engage.

The heat is a completely different system. Coolant flows through the heater core and like a radiator is cooled via air flow across the core.