PDA

View Full Version : Power Steering Problem......

PSI240SX
04-23-2003, 03:35 PM
Well, ever since i did the sr swap my PS system was leaking. It took me awhile to find and stop the leak but I always kept fluid in the reservoir. Right after I stopped the leak it started acting funny. It would have a murcury grand marquis feel to it for those of you who have driven one. The lightest touch of the wheel and it would turn. I didnt liek it being that sensitive. Then it would be hard to turn sometimes, mostly at low speeds and you could hear the pump whining most of the time. I went to an autocross at Gainesville that was high speed, no cones so it wasnt real tight but I noticed after my first two runs that my PS was no longer there. The whining had stopped as well. I figured the pump had given out so I purchased one, and installed it and voila! Nothing!! Same thing, no PS, no whine, nothing. Any input guys?

P.S. I just pulled the reservoir cap and noticed that there wasnt any fluid flowing through there.... the fluid is not moving at all, could it be a clogged line? If so, is there and inline filter somewhere that I should check?

AceInHole
04-23-2003, 03:41 PM
did you bleed the system??? just turn the wheel over all the way lock to lock repeatedly and air in the lines should bleed out. otherwise, the only problem could be the rack if the pump is new and lines are ok.

PSI240SX
04-23-2003, 03:46 PM
how about you come over here and turn this dead wheel back and forth 30 times lol.... you'll look like popeye when your done.
I have turned it back and forth but still nothing. Fluid is not moving through the system.

DuffMan
04-23-2003, 03:49 PM
The FSM's have a lot of detail on power steering and how to troubleshoot it.

ny_jee
04-23-2003, 03:49 PM
I don't know if this would help you out. I found out about this a while ago, but have always overlooked it. According to the FSM(both KA and SR) PS systems use ATF rather than conventional power steering fluid. My PS steering was always leaking and I kept adding PS fluid, and it never solved the problem. Last time after the RSR event, I decided to drain all of the PS fluid while doing my engine oil. Poped off one of the hose and just followed the bleeding procedure, clamp the hose back on and top off w/ ATF and follow the bleeding procedure till there were no noise(took a while). My power steering is not leaking anymore and feels more direct but not harsh. I am not sure that'll help you, but just thought I'd contribute some of my personal experience.

Foxcolt
04-23-2003, 04:15 PM
Take a look at your steering rack, check for kinked hardlines..especially around where the tranny is.

LOL..I wore flat spots on my tires when I first did my sr swap..I musta bled for at least a couple hours.:eek:

Turned out when I put the engine and tranny in at the same time I ended up kinking one of the pwr steering lines on the rack. Gave sorta the same symtoms your having.

G'luck!
Jed

mrmephistopheles
04-24-2003, 05:38 AM
Dude.. wrong forum!

PSI240SX
04-24-2003, 07:19 AM
sorry mr. mod.

I have already checked for kinked lines and have found none. Man this sux. You guys think the rack could be dead?

mrmephistopheles
04-24-2003, 07:28 AM
No worries, dude.
Maybe this is a good time to find a HICAS rack!