PDA

View Full Version : How do you lube the shifter?

mikeroy420
04-23-2003, 09:48 AM
How do you lube the shifter? I tried looking it up, but couldn't find anything. What do you use to lube it? Is it difficult to take a part? Thanks.

nrcooled
04-23-2003, 12:49 PM
I have an s13 so all of my steps will be for that model:

1. Unscrew the shift knob (righty tighty, lefty loosey)
2. Take off the center console cover (it just pops off)
3. Now you will see the rubber boot. It is held in by four 10mm bolts. remove thouse
4. Slide boot up the shifter (it may get stuck on the shift lever just use WD40 to get it off
5. There is a second smaller boot that goes around the base of the shifter. Just peel it back to reveal the shifter seat.
6. Now you can add tranny fluid to the shifter

Use 75w 90 tranny fluid to lube.

Any further questions just PM me. Or post. Or whatever makes you feel good.

FYI Chilton's Manuals will be your best friend

Keisuke
04-23-2003, 03:19 PM
sorry to jack the thread, but this might be the funniest tread i have ever seen!

Jesse

AceInHole
04-23-2003, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by nrcooled
FYI Chilton's Manuals will be your best friend

Chilton's manual makes a better acquaintance. FSM makes a better friend. :p

rancid240
04-23-2003, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by mikeroy420
How do you lube the shltter? I tried looking at it, but couldn't find anything. What do you use to lube it? Is it difficult to take a shlt? Thanks.

:confused:

elevator
04-24-2003, 02:33 AM
Originally posted by mikeroy420
How do you lube the shifter?..... What do you use to lube it?
:D :D :D
Let your girlfriend ride in the middle!:D

240 2NR
04-24-2003, 12:56 PM
If you're talking about adding transmission fluid, the much easier way (versus pulling the shifter) is to open the filler hole on the side of the transmission. If you plan to replace fluid then you can use the drain plug (much like that for the oil) to drain the trans fluid and then close it, open the filler plug and use a small pump (like $6) to fill the trans back up with the "lube" of your choice.

If you remove the shifter there's the chance of tearing the gasket, plus those bolts are a PIA to get at.

VVV FSM tranny pic VVV