PDA

View Full Version : harnesses

Codrifter
08-10-2009, 06:09 PM
hello everyone i need some help on what harness to buy for my 98 240. i need something that will wrap around a roll cage cause i just got an autopower. let me know what you guys think is best. if you need any more info to help me with my decision please let me know. oh and price range between 0-200 ya right 0 :rofl:.

adam s
08-10-2009, 06:16 PM
Autozone =D j/k haha...

Are you looking for harnesses with current tags? Or just some to drive around with?

If you don't care about current tags, you can usually find Takata's or Willan's for pretty good prices on H-Tech.

The other thing to think about is that you are more or less entrusting your life to these belts, so stray away from ebay or pep boys. You put a cage in, now keep up the good work and don't cop out on some crappy ass belts.

I'm sure someone here can give you more information on what sizes or what type for you specific application =D

Codrifter
08-10-2009, 06:28 PM
well i guess i dont know if i even need to have current tags i just do local events and i usually just wear the stock seat belt. so i guess i dont have to have current tags but i would be nice. oh and i have a bride zeta 3 type L with bride FX rails side mount if that makes a diffrence.

adam s
08-10-2009, 06:38 PM
well i guess i dont know if i even need to have current tags i just do local events and i usually just wear the stock seat belt. so i guess i dont have to have current tags but i would be nice. oh and i have a bride zeta 3 type L with bride FX rails side mount if that makes a diffrence.

I'd go ahead and make sure you don't need em, otherwise you may end up with useless harnesses.

From the sounds of it you probably don't need current ones, but IDK.

re drifter
08-10-2009, 07:00 PM
I got a two Sparco 3 point harnesses I'll give you for a bill. In Black

Codrifter
08-10-2009, 09:08 PM
So i talked to matt who runs the local events and he said that i need a harness with current tags. It has to be either wrap around or welded onto the cage aleast the shoulders do if i decide to go the weld on route. so let me know what harness you guys think are best for my price range. and re drifter ill keep you in mind, but can you use that as a wrap around i thought thats only for the rear seat belt mount excuse me if im wrong.

Flipzide
08-10-2009, 10:26 PM
g force 5 point and 6 point cages are affordable and are of great quality. i run x2 6 point harnesses in my track s14.

nieko
08-11-2009, 12:11 AM
Hi Brandon.

slider2828
08-11-2009, 09:37 AM
Just got schroth who makes belts for sparco and willans etc etc..... The are around 300... GForce is good or RCI isn't bad... See if you can get away with a 4pt, but I hate them cause they aren't really good and really submarine, I'd rather go 6 pt...

Ashloo
08-11-2009, 01:50 PM
Check into TeamTech. A lot of the big name guys use them and they will be close to your price range w/ current SFI tags. I believe you can even send them in to have them re-certified (free?). I ended up going with them because everything I found on them pointed towards it being a great (trustworthy) product and they had a great selection. (Mine are purple :) )

TeamTech Motorsports - Racing Harness (http://www.teamtechmotorsports.com/racingharness/index.html)

Codrifter
08-11-2009, 03:33 PM
okay thaks for the help so far everyone but i have one more question. What do you guys thinks is better a cam lock style buckle or a latch type. and what are the benifits to each. and what have you had the best experience with.

Ashloo
08-11-2009, 05:00 PM
What do you guys thinks is better a cam lock style buckle or a latch type. and what are the benifits to each. and what have you had the best experience with.

Definitely cam lock. They are very easy to use and meet applicable tech standards. The other designs are more of a pain and I don't see a standard 'buckle' type latch as being as safe as it should be for race applications. Depending on the brand the cam lock may run you a bit more though.

Sorry, not meaning to noob whore your thread, just figured I'd give you my knowledge.

junkyiv
08-11-2009, 10:48 PM
As long as the harness you buy has a current SFI or FIA certification tag the biggest obstacle you have is just making a decision on which brand to buy.
The biggest differences being price, configuration and style. If the harness is certified current then it's only down to preference.
The "old" Latch/Link style works perfectly fine and will run you 30-50% less than most Camlock style harnesses. So if price is an issue then this will be your most cost-effective option. They are offered in all styles be it wrap-around, bolt-in, clip-in, 5 or 6 point.
Camlocks are much easier for people who have never used a harness before but cost more.
Whatever you decide be sure to buy a new one as you never know what a used harness has been through. There are a lot of factors which can contribute to the deterioration of the webbing and integrity of the latching system which aren't always plainly visible.
Bottom line, you are buying a piece of equipment to ensure your safety. Buy the best possible within your means.

Codrifter
08-11-2009, 10:50 PM
Ashloo as long a you input is helpful you can noob it up all you want. so i was cruisen the web today for a harness and ever where i go i see simpson harnesses. I know that they have been use in drag racing for ever but ive never really seen anybody else use them. Is there a reason for this r they shitty harnesses. o and what is the best way to mount the lap belt with solid floor mounts or with quick release floor mounts.

junkyiv
08-12-2009, 03:34 PM
There is nothing wrong with Simpson products. They have a well earned reputation as manufacturers of
quality safety equipment. There are plenty of road racers and drifters who use their equipment. But since most
people associate drifting with non domestic case parts they don't or won't look to the domestic market for equipment.
There are certain name brands which are automaticly associated such as Sparco, Takata, or Willans but they're
not all there is to go by.
Simpson makes three different styles of camlock harness in addition to the traditional latch/link style.
To answer your last question the easiest way to mount lap belts is to buy a harness that uses clip in mounts. You
simply use FORGED eye bolts in the factory seat belt mounting holes then the harness lap belt clips onto them.

slider2828
08-13-2009, 10:09 AM
Cam lock for sure, because latches I think is only for 3 and 4 points. 5 and 6 points almost 90% use camlocks...

junkyiv
08-13-2009, 03:24 PM
^ ^ Really? I have 5 point latch/link harnesses in stock right now.

slider2828
08-14-2009, 09:31 AM
From Simpson or RCI? I rarely see em if they are sfi tagged.

Flicktitty
08-14-2009, 09:40 AM
Ashloo as long a you input is helpful you can noob it up all you want. so i was cruisen the web today for a harness and ever where i go i see simpson harnesses. I know that they have been use in drag racing for ever but ive never really seen anybody else use them. Is there a reason for this r they shitty harnesses. o and what is the best way to mount the lap belt with solid floor mounts or with quick release floor mounts.
LMAO, yaeh there shitty, almost EVERY major racing function uses them (nascar,nhra,etc) i'd trust simpson over alot of the shit that's out there.

junkyiv
08-14-2009, 09:53 AM
From Simpson or RCI? I rarely see em if they are sfi tagged.

They are Simpson, current SFI tags, effective and affordable.

pinkarrowsnow
08-14-2009, 10:43 AM
Rjs from summit they come in sweeet colors too haha

WhiteGLX
08-17-2009, 08:52 PM
G-Force camlock harness's are SFI rated and around $120 a set.

I use two sets in my racecar, i only use if for roadracing as well. The camlock design is much easier for car exit in a jiffy if the situation occurs. 3" shoulder and lap belts should be used. And be sure to follow a good installation guide for each point of the belt whether it be bolt-in points or cage wrapping points.