PDA

View Full Version : Recommended wheel locks?

SimpleS14
08-10-2009, 01:05 PM
So after years of no worries, my rims have recently been stolen. =/

Next time around, I'm going to be more cautious on a few things and I want some recommendations on wheel locks.

I'm going to go with Gorilla lug nuts, but I want to know if there is a wheel lock out there that most people recommend.

JRas
08-10-2009, 01:29 PM

Next time around, I'm going to be more cautious on a few things and I want some recommendations on wheel locks.

I'm going to go with Gorilla lug nuts, but I want to know if there is a wheel lock out there that most people recommend.

just don't get those street tuner lug nuts.. those locks are pointless for two reasons. One, the fact that you can find the key anywhere.. including buy one from local tire jobs. Two, you can put an oversized socket over them and pound it on with a hammer.. I've done this myself.. did with ease.

I use Gorilla lug nuts.. think it's called the system. each lug nut is a locking lug nut with a specialized key. the lug nuts are large enough that you will likely scratch your wheels using the key to loosen/tighten the nuts. It will keep others from putting a socket over the lug nut though. I also do not recommend aluminum lug nuts as they don't save much weight and I'd rather have additional strength.

if you have baller wheels you are worried about scratching.. get yourself those super expensive kics or a lug nut with a nonstandard key.

enkei2k
08-10-2009, 01:42 PM
sucks to hear about your rims man, i feel your pain. my rims were almost stolen a few weeks ago. i had the rays ones. they took out most of em, except for the lock so i'm guessing it worked. honestly i don't recommend the rays one, but i ended up buying another set just to match the rims. what you can do is buy a set of the gorilla and buy a set of rays and one set of muteki and one set of random and just mix em all up. gonna end up spending a lot, but to protect your wheels, i think it's worth it (depending on what set of wheels you will get next)

blackrms13
08-10-2009, 01:53 PM
those gorilla, muteki, or whatever tuner lug nuts all have the same key...just an idea...

but the Gorilla wheel locks (ones comes in 4 lug nuts + 1 key in like a pink paper/package) those look pretty good
but i duno how the lug nuts will fit the tuner wheel lug holes like said ^^

josephin510
08-10-2009, 01:57 PM
Get an alarm. other than that theres no way or lock to protect your wheels.

aoiken3
08-10-2009, 02:12 PM
i've also been looking for a nonstandard locks for aftermarket wheels....

hOngsterr
08-10-2009, 02:28 PM
those gorilla locks dont even work
the mass produce those keys.
lol

gota get the ones that are expensive and hardly anyone has them.

Souljahzs13
08-10-2009, 02:46 PM
I use McGard, they're awesome and really dense. I just ordered another set tuner style lug nut locks with unique center design that requires a coded key to open. I lost my key these were the hardest to take off, I should have bought a spare key when I still had the order form.

cbt240sx
08-10-2009, 04:11 PM
I have mcgards for all of my lugnuts, I have to use 2 different keys. Maybe its overkill.....but crackheads get creative sometimes....

Silverbullet
08-10-2009, 04:14 PM

I'm going to go with Gorilla lug nuts

damn, sorry to hear about that george.

All Gorillas have the same pattern. I have two sets and each set are interchangeable.

Mangudai
08-10-2009, 04:28 PM
I've always wanted to try these, I just have the regular one

http://www.gorilla-auto.com/graphics/page_28.jpg

projectRDM
08-10-2009, 06:56 PM
I knew a kid who had four different types of lock on each wheel. It looked damn retarded and took an hour to remove a wheel, but no one is going to carry around every style of key or bother trying to use them all just for one wheel.

hOngsterr
08-10-2009, 08:32 PM
/\/\/\
lol......... i thought about doing that.
but yea, the mcgards look like the oem lock they
give you at the dealer

those new gorilla nuts look pretty good.

S-Nation S13
08-10-2009, 08:50 PM
i use nismo lugs works just fine :)

SimpleS14
08-10-2009, 10:03 PM
I'm going to give those Gorilla Guard locks a try.

blackrms13
08-10-2009, 10:09 PM
just wondering do u guys keep the lug nuts key in the car?
or?

Homer_Simpson
08-10-2009, 10:13 PM
Could you guys recommend nice some open ended locks? TIA.

SimpleS14
08-10-2009, 10:55 PM
or?

Toolbox that's not in my car.....

I do see where you're coming from with that question though. "What if" you got a flat tire and needed to remove the rim.

blackrms13
08-10-2009, 10:58 PM

I do see where you're coming from with that question though. "What if" you got a flat tire and needed to remove the rim.
exactly...cuz i keep my key in the glove box...which is kind of pointless as 240's door are sooo easy to open....then again u can lock the glove box?!

JRas
08-10-2009, 11:35 PM
exactly...cuz i keep my key in the glove box...which is kind of pointless as 240's door are sooo easy to open....then again u can lock the glove box?!

I don't keep mine in the glovebox..

even if I get a flat.. I wouldn't have a spare to use

I did go to my friends house and forget my wheel lock, thank god I could remove my brakes through my wheel spokes :P, just dropped the whole rear subframe.

josephin510
08-11-2009, 02:22 AM
or?
Yes hah they keep them in there car so if they get a flat they can change it hahaha invest in a very good alarm you wouldnt have this prob.

Greddy323
08-11-2009, 02:48 AM
get a garage...

andisan
08-11-2009, 02:57 AM
^^^^ wow thats great advice bud, but not everyone can afford to rent a house with a garage

wgJoY
08-11-2009, 03:01 AM
^^^^ so get less flashy rims and not be in fear every night just so you can look cool.

aoiken3
08-11-2009, 03:24 AM
^^^^ so get less flashy rims and not be in fear every night just so you can look cool.

in other words, rotas

josephin510
08-11-2009, 03:31 AM
in other words, rotas
yes i rocked a pair of ROTAS and they cracked but for 400 buck what do you expect.

fliprayzin240sx
08-11-2009, 10:46 AM
Hate to say it man but, if they want it bad enough, they will get it. I'd invest money on a paging alarm, better yet a flame thrower before anything else.

Mangudai
08-16-2009, 08:12 PM
I keep my key in my car as I have a spare but its well hidden.

DALAZ_68
08-16-2009, 10:10 PM

thats wat AAA is for :naughty:

240sxxs
08-17-2009, 11:39 PM
If u can buy your wheel lock at autozone or any other auto parts store then thieef can do just the same thing and steal your rims...i suggest buy some expensive lug such as volks , works, at least thief ant paying 200-300 dollar to just to steal your rimes

amtk240
08-18-2009, 05:04 PM
Why not put the lock key in the trunk hidden somewhere? Maybe in the little tool kit that is located next to the jack in the side panel or at least in that area? It would take too much effort and time to rummage through a car to find something like that to a would be thief. Just an idea.

BTW, good thread as I need to get some locks for my cars as well.

zenki.life
08-18-2009, 11:29 PM
speaking of fucking locking nuts. i went to go change my suspension today. completely forgot that the previous owner(just got the car) put some crazy locking nut. had to air chisel the mother out. such a pain. so dont ever lose your key is my advice to anyone

just had to get it off my chest lol