PDA

View Full Version : engine troubles?

doainwpg
04-22-2003, 08:48 PM
ok got the car a couple weeks ago, got checked by a mechanic, supposedly all good. i'm never going back to the mechanic. the car was leaking some oil, that's fixed now there's a constant ticking noise that i can't find, other than the top of the engine as if that helps. and my milage is absolute crap. an ideas what's goin on here?

FastBack 240
04-22-2003, 09:07 PM
Valve knock or its your timing chain.

AceInHole
04-22-2003, 09:27 PM
ticking noise other than one at the top of the engine??

at the top it could be the injectors clicking away.... otherwise valve lash or timing chain as has been stated. if not those, rod knock or a shot bearing (which would be bad).

hold a screwdriver tip to parts of the engine and put your ear on the handle. it'll be like a makeshift stethoscope so you can determine of whatever part the screwdriver is touching is the peice making the noise or not.

doainwpg
04-22-2003, 09:46 PM
sorry for the confusion, the ticking noise is somewhere on the top of the engine, can't find exactly where though, i'll try the screwdriver thing tommorow i guess

nrcooled
04-23-2003, 12:52 PM
Most likely it's the timing chain guide which is a common problem and can be removed (w/o having to replace it)

S13Nissan240SX
04-24-2003, 12:46 PM
I have had that ticking noise several times. Each time it was just a sticking valve. Just make sure you have enough oil. You might want to throw in some slick50 or prolong with your next oil change too. That usually did it for me. Good luck.