PDA

View Full Version : DIY Painted Rims Helpp

Rambo_180SX
08-09-2009, 12:46 AM
Heyy im tring to paint some rims i have just a flat black color nothing fancy, does any one have a link on the right way to do it?? and what kind of paint i should use??
thankss guyss

:newbie:

Rambo

FRpilot
08-09-2009, 01:15 AM
what kind of wheels do you have? if it's oem, just use chemicals (aircraft stripper) to take the paint off and spray on a new coat.

flat black looks ghetto, don't do that. paint it something tasteful, but not crazy like pink or purple. maybe gold if you have mesh or if you have oem s13/s14 se wheels just strip it and paint it light silver or clear coat.

if you have nice wheels, right way to do it would be to send it to a professional wheel shop to powdercoat/anodize them.

Rambo_180SX
08-09-2009, 01:38 AM
I have these kinds of rims, i dont kno the brand of them they came off one of my dads 240z and just been sitting. there a little beat up so i was thinking of sprayying them black

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg25/Brando__Rambo/240sxRims.jpg

now i saw this member had the same rims and it lookd like they were black but its hard to tell kuze its night time but i still like what he did so im tring to do the same, and these rims are free and theu look nice a lot better then the OEM hubcaps i got

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg25/Brando__Rambo/240sxRims2.jpg

Tantwoforty
08-09-2009, 02:34 AM
what color is your car? pics?

Rambo_180SX
08-09-2009, 09:36 PM
what color is your car? pics?

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg25/Brando__Rambo/My240sx.jpg
its gray if u cant tell from the pic, so i think black rims wont look bad on the car, i picked it up like 3 weeks ago and just payd it off to day so its still stock but i have pans for it.

Norcaldime
08-09-2009, 09:43 PM
white spokes, clean up lip.

Or gunmetal , clean up lip

Este510
08-09-2009, 09:51 PM
Yeah I say white spokes and clean up the lips, or all white, and lower it.

ReLiC
08-09-2009, 09:51 PM
Have you tried polishing them first? Might look better polished.

FREDDYS13
08-09-2009, 09:53 PM
clean up the lip with some light grid sand paper just to take off the gloss and to smooth it out make sure you clean up the wheel with a wet rag to take off any dirt and stuff from the sanding and then give it 2 coats of ur choice of paint go for some (krylon) satin black ..... just did mine and you cant tell they were done with a rattle can

iLOVEmyS13
08-09-2009, 11:05 PM
I've done this to 3 other sets of rims, both alloy. 2 black 1 red
Go to pepboys or autozone or whatever you prefer and look at duplicolor high performance wheel paint and is in a blue can. its about $5.45 and comes in flat black my initial purpose was to just change it up a bit, i hated the look of alloys they feel too stock. so the first set i didnt spend too much time on, i was so lazy that i didnt even take the rims off. but since yours are off it will be easier.

materials:
2 or 3 cans of paint (i made it with 2)
1 can of primer (not necessary)
220g sand paper
scuffing pad
a few drinks to get you through

1. So start with cleaning the rims with a nice brush or rag, use some degreaser or even dish soap to clean it up nice.
2. take some 220 grit sand paper and start smoothing down the imperfections road rash. then finish with a scuffing pad and smooth it out.
3. give it a quick rinse to get off all the dust, and let it dry completely.
4. i didn't use primer, but if you chose to get filler primer as it will fill any deep imperfections. let that dry for a good amount of time.
5. i chose to not sand between coats, because i didn't want to have dust left between coats. but do it if you know how.
6. start with a very light first coat, then wait about 20 minutes (considering you bought the brand i recommended, this dries fast)
7. with flat black, its tricky. if you don't look at the rim from EVERY angle it is highly possible you will miss some part of the rim. so do a walk around, heavier coats toward the end.
8. let it dry for about an hour, look at the rims. if there are some parts that didn't dry like the other sides (some sides are smooth not flat) then that means the part that was smooth got a real heavy coat (inspect for drips) at this point you are going to want to take the can, and very very lightly do little bursts of paint over the smooth parts. this will mist the area and give it that flat look once again.
9. at this point you're almost done! let the rims sit in the sun for a bit, and then leave them in a garage. (mine gets hot, so it helped bake the paint). the trick to having the paint properly adhere to the rim is letting it dry completely i let my set dry for a complete 24 hours.
10. wake up. mount & admire them. because under $20 you now have some pretty nice rims! :keke:

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k90/suuuuushi/rim.jpg

These rims are on my ranger, and have been offroaded on countless times. they still give off a good finish after dirt and rocks hitting them, its been almost 9 months and i still get compliments on them. hope this helps!

undesiredshoe
08-10-2009, 12:20 AM
Weeee my ugly car

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3297/3658012787_8a76d765c5.jpg

I just sprayed black spray paint on it without even prepping anything

Rambo_180SX
08-10-2009, 11:35 AM
Alright thanks ilovemys13 im going to do it soon i gota get my 2 fenders and my bumper fixed and painted first but i cant wait imma put up pics on this post when its all done.

Rambo_180SX
08-10-2009, 11:37 AM
Weeee my ugly car

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3297/3658012787_8a76d765c5.jpg

I just sprayed black spray paint on it without even prepping anything
Thats the same color of my car and same bumper lololol:faint: what year and upgrades do u have??

lemans132
08-10-2009, 11:56 AM
ill say gold or bronze. if you are trying to do it on a budget just clean it really good then wet sand then untill you see no shine from the other paint go to craigens then get the wheel primer and wheel paint and if you want wheel clear then tape around the lip then primer then wet sand the primer then primer again then swet sand it again then lay as meny coat of paint as you like the more rich the beter then lay like 3 or 4 coats of clear then just rock them....is not the best way to do it but it will last you a long time trust me i did it to ma wheels and i had them for a year 1/2 and they are super clean GOOD LUCK!

Rambo_180SX
08-10-2009, 10:41 PM
ill say gold or bronze. if you are trying to do it on a budget just clean it really good then wet sand then untill you see no shine from the other paint go to craigens then get the wheel primer and wheel paint and if you want wheel clear then tape around the lip then primer then wet sand the primer then primer again then swet sand it again then lay as meny coat of paint as you like the more rich the beter then lay like 3 or 4 coats of clear then just rock them....is not the best way to do it but it will last you a long time trust me i did it to ma wheels and i had them for a year 1/2 and they are super clean GOOD LUCK!

can i see some pics of your car??

sausages
08-11-2009, 03:50 PM
yopu should powder coat them and put them in an oven ans they wont get scratched oh and use a good spray gun

projectRDM
08-11-2009, 05:18 PM
yopu should powder coat them and put them in an oven ans they wont get scratched oh and use a good spray gun

Try that again in English.